LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Your experience w/ IV antibiotics please :)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your experience w/ IV antibiotics please :)
Leeintn
Member # 25999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leeintn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

Before I was diagnosed w/lyme, (took four years) I decided to try herbs and balance my hormones and stop gluten. I have had some improvement.

I couldn't get out of bed for a year and a half now I can drive myself to the grocery store. So I am functioning about 55 to 60 %. I am grateful but its not living life fully.

I am at a point of probably doing IV antibiotics and I am scared to death.

So, could you please share your story w/me. I know everyone is different.

Thanks

Posts: 83 | From Tennessee | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on IV rocephin for 14 months and IV Doxy for 2 months, along with numerous other oral ABX and Sups.

It is manageable and not difficult at all. Get the booklet called "Infusion for Lymies". Google it and download. good info

Next is keeping a PICC line dry when taking a shower. Go to DryPro.com for a protector.

later

gmb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ very helpful, thank you!
Posts: 169 | From The Poconos | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee-i have been on IV Rocephin for a month.

Still early days.

I was scared of it also.

I don't have a PICC.

I have an IV catheter in my arm.

It is placed every week. I infuse the abx myself and the heparin flushes myself at home for four days, then pull the catheter out myself.

The first week my doc was at ILADS, so another doc started the catheter and wasn't very scrupulous with sanitary instructions or supplies. It left me feeling unsure and nervous.

The first step, as I learned, is you need an established trusting relationship with your doc. It will ease the fear significantly.

Now I see my LL every week and have zero anxiety about the IV.

And good news...for fourty minutes this Monday I has brain clarity and memory function!

So in my opinion, IV abx are worth the extra work.

Best of luck
Greta

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on IV Rocephin for 4 months and IV Clindamycin for 14 months. My husband was on IV for less than a year. We both did orals with the IV.

Both in remission.

It is scary in the beginning but once you get into a routine and are comfortable with what you need to do, it is easy.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leeintn
Member # 25999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leeintn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it make a difference if you have Neuro-lyme??
Because I do. My doc said oral abxs weren't very effective because they don't cross the bbb. He was very honest w/me and told me that IV abxs can help or it possibly can do some damage.

That's when I really become very scared I didn't ask him to elaborate. So, like a lot of situations in life you weigh the pros and cons. I know I can't stay like this. I do know that I don't think I can tolerate getting worse.

I feel like I had to fight w/everything I have just to get where I am today which is far from being normal.

You guys are great !! Thanks for listening and I'm sure I'll have more to come

[Smile]

Posts: 83 | From Tennessee | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an article I read recently on LymeMD that talks specifically about bbb and oral versus IV antibiotics. Maybe it'll help.

http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2013/03/blood-brain-barrier.html

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lyme is primarily neuro.

I am on oral abx also.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With iv it is not cost effective lets say $4000. a month or if you find a compounding pharmacy can get that down to $2000. a month

I had did fantastic with oral and supplements that crossed over the BBB. I was at about 30% functioning

My LLMD had said i would have a 60% to 70% of getting better .

Well i have exceeded that and close to 100% better

I have been working 88 to 110 hours a week , prior to that i was unable to do much of anything for 2 years

Posts: 238 | From Where | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IV cost me less than $400 a month with Clindamycin. On Rocephin it was $200 more than that.

If you find the right compounding pharmacy it doesn't always have to cost that much.

Some do fine with orals but many don't. If you have malabsorption issues, then orals may not work well at all.

If you have neuro lyme, it is better to go IV. Nothing is guaranteed with any modality of treatment as we are all different.

--------------------
Faithful

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leeintn
Member # 25999

Greta...so is mine....how do you treat yours??

lostlyme...what a blessing to be healed...Did you have neuro and which abx did you use??

Thanks Judie

You all are so helpful...I often wonder what people did before internet support groups...suffered in silence I suppose

map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lee, have discussion with insurance company before you make your decision. Many insurance companies will only pay for 4 weeks.

My doctor after 4 weeks and no improvement called my insurance and requested 2 more weeks. They said ok 2 weeks and nothing more.

You want to go into this knowing where insurance stands. Because in my experience 6 weeks of IV was a waste of time for me.

I was too ill to fight big giants. Not only that but all my Elisa had come back negative.

The great thing was after being off IV for 2 weeks and I had my 1st appt with LLMD.....my Igm from Igenex was ++++++++++. So it drove my anti-bodies crazy.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely talk with your insurance company, I've always been on at MINIMUM three months of IV. 6 weeks really isn't long enough.

I was scared to go for it, but it's been significantly more effective for me than oral antibiotics (my primary symptoms are joint paint and neuro). Definitely worth doing, and not as bad as you'd think. I did a little blog write-up that covers some of my experience with it here: http://bridgestreet.wordpress.com/2013/11/06/so-youre-getting-a-picc-line/

The very first PICC I had put in sprung a leak and had to be replaced. Since then, I've had no trouble with them at all (i just got my sixth placed yesterday).

As with anything, talk to your doctor about the pros and cons. But for me, it was a total lifesaver, and I think you should really consider it.

Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leeintn
Member # 25999

Thanks map and ladycakes...I wonder if neuro lyme treatment is much different as far as axb
crazyhavanese
Member # 42617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhavanese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had neuro Lyme and was on oral antibiotics for over a year which did not help my symptoms at all. I begged my LLMD to try the IV. I was feeling so sick and was in so much nerve pain.

I had a picc line and herxed like crazy for the first couple of weeks but after 3 weeks my brain fog finally lifted and after 6 months I felt a lot better.
I wish I could have been on it longer but it was starting to give me very bad gallbladder pain(sludge) so my LLMD decided to stop.
I am glad I did it but wish I could have stayed on it longer and do a cyst buster along with it!

Posts: 17 | From Long island | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leeintn,

I have done virtually every pharmaceutical treatment. I had a port implanted when I first got diagnosed because my symptoms were progressing at such a rapid rate. I was losing the ability to swallow among many other scary things.

First off, let me say that I have absolutely loved my port. It has been an absolute life-saver. I've had it for three years. If I had a picc, I would have had numerous re-insertions and hassles. The port is great for long term use, and if it is de-accessed, you forget it is there. This is huge because I frequently was pulled off IV's from bad labwork.

Also, central lines are great for hospital admissions and surgeries.

My best IV's was probably Vanco. I think it really did save my life. Another good combo was IV Clinda and IV Zith.

I would like to caution you with IV Rocephin... make sure you take Actigall to protect your gallbladder. Rocephin did a whole lot of damage to my body. Some people really do gain a lot of progress with it, but I am still suffering the effects years. later.

Even after I had emergency gallbladder surgery, my bile ducts have been severely impacted.

I will say this, I feel as if IM Bicillin and pulsed Tindamax has done more for me than any IV I had. It is a wonder drug for a lot of people.

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leeintn
Member # 25999

Life lyme....

All this IV stuff sounds terrifying !! Everybody is so different.

I had my gallbladder removed already but I'm sure the abx affects other organs.

I am gonna ask my doc about the bicillin until I can start the IV
Thanks for your help

crazyhavanese
Member # 42617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhavanese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life+Lyme-
I agree that IM BIcillin pulsed with Tindamax was by far the best treatment for me. I did it 4 years into my treatment-way after the IV Rocephin
After 9 months I felt so much better and continue to without antibiotics for 2 years.

If I had a choice I would do IM Bicillin over IV . The injections are painful but you don't have to live with a port or picc. line.

Leein-Good Luck and make sure you use a cystbuster with whatever you decide.

Posts: 17 | From Long island | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

My insurance company would not say one way or the other if they would cover IV. They said put in the claim and we will process it. I just did it and they paid for the IV and my port.

I paid $600 out of pocket for my port but my husband got his when we had hit all the deductibles for the year and paid nothing for his.

Many do fine with Bicillin shots. I bought IV supplies in bulk and save a lot. Infuserve was the best price for IV meds but their supplies to go with what every IV line you have are not always the cheapest. I just shopped around.

--------------------
Faithful

Leeintn
Member # 25999

Hi crazyh,
what cystbuster do you recommend??

Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leeintn,

IV's seem really scary at first, but then they are second nature. I was paranoid as crap when I first started, and a couple years later, I was basically doing them in my sleep.

I would definitely recommend Bicillin. I wish I would have tried it earlier. It took about a month to notice a difference, but when I did...it was an amazing contrast. The herxes can be bad, so make sure to detox!

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
we'll win
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for we'll win     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're getting a lot of great ideas. But having been on IV rocephin (brand name), IV ceftriaxone (generic), bicillin-LA shots and rocephin/ceftriaxone shots (as well as oral regimens), for me rocephin is still the gold standard.

But the shots of rocephin/ceftriaxone were just about as good as getting these antibiotics through IV.

I agree with other contributors who say that bicillin-LA is a great alternative to rocephin/ceftriaxone. Almost as good. But you have to make sure not to get it into a vein.

If insurance will pay for it, for me, the first choice is IM (shots) of rocephin.

Somehow keep smiling.

We'll Win

Posts: 107 | From maryland | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement