LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone have experience with far-infared saunas?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have experience with far-infared saunas?
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am considering buying a far-infared sauna on Amazon when I can.

Anyone have experience with one?

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did both the biomat and portable FIR saunas and both have helped me detox. Is that what you want to accomplish?
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my IR sauna. It really helps get rid of the pain in my spine and joints. The heat penetrates the joints right away.

It is important to get one made without any toxic glues or finishes.

Also, cedar can cause allergies, so it is important to get a hypoallergenic wood.

Mine has a radio and CD player so I can listen to music or meditation music when I am in there.

It also came with a air ionizer but it seemed to be a chemical scent so I removed it.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robin,

Detoxing is good, but my purpose is to kill spirochetes. I read that if the body temp is raised to just under 108F, that Lyme spirochetes die. I would worry about the brain except your head sticks out of the tent sauna.

Is your FIR this type? The one I was considering is Therasage Ps2002 portable FIR. Has your FIR portable unit helped your symptoms?

Thanks for any info.

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Hi Greta,

Is your sauna a far-infared sauna, or the other type infared sauna?

The unit I am considering also said something about negative ions. Maybe that is what you removed.

I tried a room air ionizer once and and it bothered me, so if that is what yours was, I would remove it too.

Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Hi Greta,

Is your sauna a far-infared sauna, or the other type infared sauna?

The unit I am considering also said something about negative ions. Maybe that is what you removed.

I tried a room air ionizer once and it bothered me, so if that is what yours was, I would remove it too.

mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a far-infrad sauna (actually on my second one - I wore out the first one!).

It's the portable tent type so I can stick my hands and feet out. I can't breath hot air so this is perfect for me.

I LOVE my sauna and would highly recommend using one. Go slow, though, until you get used to it. Low temps (120 degrees for maybe 5 10 minutes)

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have that same portable sauna. I love it.

FIR saunas are very strong. I made the mistake early on of using mine 2 days in a row. I had the worst brain herx ever. My LLMD said I reached my body's ability to detox on the 1st day, then the 2nd day started killing off bugs and it was all too much.

So I went back and started on the lowest setting for only a few minutes, 1x/week. I added a minute each week.

Even now, 15 minutes on level 2 and I cannot function and hibernate for a day or 2 after.

Be sure to have your detox supps on board prior. I take Glutathione 45 minutes prior, drink lots of water during, then drink Powerade zero for the rest of the day. I shower immediately after.

Nancy, I think the negative ion part is on the foot pad. You can turn it off if you want. I find the warm heat on my feet very relaxing.

Also, I bought the optional portable heater and never even opened the box. It's not necessary. The panels in the sauna are powerful enough.

This book is very helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Detoxify-Die-Sherry-A-Rogers/dp/1887202048

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anthropologista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was checking out the Therasage on Amazon when I noticed the smaller ad to the right: turkey friers and smokers! Someone on Amazon has a sense of humor.

Joking apart, does it fold up for storage?

Posts: 431 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] about the turkey smoker.

It folds up into a big zippered bag. It's not easy to get it into it's bag.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Thank you Mojo and Lax Mom for your imput.

Mojo, is your unit also the Therasage Ps2002?

Mom, what degreeF are the settings?

When I read reviews for the unit on Amazon, some of the people said they sat on the floor for their FIR saunas INSIDE the unit.

I would think if the temp was 108F (they say it penetrates a couple of inches or maybe a bit more), I would think that the brain would be in danger of brain cells being killed.

A FIR penetrates at the same temp inside the body (as far as it goes) as the outside, doesn't it? Or does anyone know?

It would be great to kill all the spirochetes we can, but I would love to get the brain ones, too.

Any thoughts on this?

mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure of the brand but it looks exactly like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Sauna-Portable-Carbon-Infrared-Massager/dp/B006T0ZZ0A/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1384733449&sr=1-3&keywords=portable+far+infrared+sauna

I used to do 45 minutes full blast and produced quite a sweat. Now I try to do 20 to 30 minutes at 130 and it works well for me and I can cool down easier.

I agree about going slow to start out.

I always thought the sauna was for detox and not for killing bugs - but haven't done any research on it.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the portable tent type and really like it. I cannot stress enough - go slow!! I live in the South and am used to high temps and humidity (100+ 3 months out of the year), so I thought it would be no big deal. My first time I went in for 25 minutes on the highest heat setting. Oh my word!! I thought I was going to die from the herx! One the WORST herxes I've ever had and it lasted about ten days, which did make it the longest herx I ever had. It made a believer out of me.

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

quote:
Originally posted by lymielauren28:
Oh my word!! I thought I was going to die from the herx! One the WORST herxes I've ever had...

Yep, that's what happened to me when I tried it 2 days in a row. It was scary. I thought I was going to die or go crazy.

My portable sauna doesn't show degrees. There are just settings from 1-5.

BTW, if you order from Amazon, do NOT buy it from the "Pro Therapy Supplies" seller. Order it from a seller that says "fulfilled by Amazon".

My first order was through Amazon with the "Pro therapy supplies" seller. They charged my card, marked it as shipped...a few days later, even marked it as delivered! I did not receive it. They said it was back-ordered. It was a mess.

So, I ended up filing a claim and ordering again through Amazon with seller "i shop happy" and received it quickly.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

lax mom
Member # 38743

I do not put my head in it. After I had the herx from he// with my head outside of the sauna, I didn't want to risk it.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo that's the one I have and love love it. Best 180 I've spent so far for all this treatment.
Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Thanks for all the imput you all.

jlcd1, where did you find that unit for $180? The Therasage Ps2002 is (on sale) about mid 400.

Thank you so much lax mom for the "fulfilled by Amazon" seller suggestion. I have ordered over the years a number of books from Amazon, with very mixed results. This may be why.

Am going to check out your unit now, Mojo....

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nancy, I don't think my FIR sessions are killing any ketes, just detoxing me - [Smile]
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used my sauna for many years before my lyme dx.

Daily, as it helps with joint pain tremendously.

But I don't think it killed any 'ketes.

Probably just made them angry, haha

But who know, maybe it did and I'd be a lot worse now.

I wouldn't put my head in there either.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

I read in one of my Lyme-related books that Lyme spirochetes are killed if the internal body temp is raised to 107.??degrees for some period of time (think under 1hr).

I will try to find that and give the source. One of the books I threw away because it was not very useful, but if that one the author was quoting from somewhere & I can probably find it.

This high-fever temp that is reputed to kill spirochete bacteria is the reason that at one time, giving someone malaria to kill the spirochetes in another disease was done, since they considered it easier to cure the malaria than that spirochete disease.

Think that was abandoned as bad practice.

Since a far-infrared sauna heats up the inside of the body the same as the outside and gets to the required temp(2or 3 inches in), I made the intellectual jump that far-infrared saunas would kill some spirochetes in those 2-3 inches.

Anyway, I am willing to test the theory with a far-infrared sauna.

If it doesn't lower the bacteria load so my immune system can have a better shot at the remaining germs, then at least I can count on a good detox!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement