LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Having trouble eating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having trouble eating
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this is a symptom I haven't had in awhile, but everything that I eat makes me sick.

I get nausea, but no diarrhea. I have pretty severe pain, although what's weird is that my ab muscles seem to cramp up (as opposed to feeling like my stomach is cramped, although I get both). I get really hot, and really dizzy.

Does this sound like a food allergy thing? I don't have any itching, throat closing, etc. But generally people that I know that are allergic to, say, gluten don't have that sort of allergy reaction either.

My husband suggested I start a food journal, to see if there's some kind of pattern. I only have today's in so far, so not really enough data to look at yet.

But it feels like most things that I eat make me at least a little bit sick, and at least once a day I'll eat something that makes me very extremely sick. I haven't noticed any kind of pattern.

I've been mostly resorting to things like crackers and protein shakes, but even those have set it off. Gotta eat something, but it's been really miserable. Will accept absolutely any help you guys have [Smile]

Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Sounds very typical, actually, all things considered. The liver is highly stressed by lyme & by treatment so be sure you have good liver support. That will help the stomach, too.

The inner ear is nearly always affected by lyme, and by treatment reactions, too. GINGER can help there. But see if anything you take is on the "ototoxic" list in the Tinnitus thread to come.

Still, most with lyme are advised to be gluten free and that often helps. As you mention crackers, I assume those would be regular crackers . . . so looking over some of the links here may be a place to begin:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors (that are not likely natural at all);

GMO foods that destroy the GI Tract; Gluten; Dairy.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Nausea can go along with the inner ear stress that lyme (and treatment) often causes:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=ginger%2C%20nausea

PubMed search of medical abstracts:

ginger, nausea - 117 abstracts

http://www.botanical-online.com/medicinalsgengibreangles.htm

Properties of Ginger (scroll all the way down)

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/ginger-rootrhizome-zingiber-officinalis.html

GINGER ROOT - a chapter from “The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook” (Tillotson)

http://healthblog.ivlproducts.com/blog/healthyliving/ginger-natural-digestive-relief

Ginger: Natural Digestive Relief

www.vitacost.com and www.iherb.com

Review their GINGER ROOT Capsules
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Candida issues? Are your probiotics all they should be? Are the anti-candida measures working?

H. Pylori? Have you had several different kinds of tests for H. Pylori? Some miss it.

Fizzy water? Do you avoid all carbonated beverages (even sparkling water)? They are very caustic to the lining of our stomach. Best to never consume any fizzy water or drinks.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Looking back over, key things you say:

" . . . ab muscles seem to cramp up (as opposed to feeling like my stomach is cramped, although I get both).

. . . get really hot, and really dizzy." (end quote)

I think you need to see a doctor about this on Monday. If you have a LLMD, call them and see if you can talk to them for a minute about this.

Could be a reaction to an Rx? Might it be tied to a specific infection you are treating?

Or, something different? Might the LLMD suggest a doctor who might be better able to help you with this - right away?

Some kind of imaging might be good to request.

Do you still have an appendix? (And note, they are not always on the right side, sometimes on the left). Pain may not always be low, can trigger spasms in the stomach.

That "get really hot and dizzy" stuff that goes with this is why I think you need medical attention soon.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Magnesium deficiency can trigger all kinds of muscle spasms. Some kinds are easier than others on the stomach.

And, if there are toxicity issues, magnesium can be fabulous help there. It can even save a life in a toxic infection by reducing toxic load. Still, such infection would still require specific anti-microbials.

Still, as you seek out medical help . . .

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM LINKS sets
-

ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on Zithromax IV, which I'm fairly sure is on the ototoxic list. It's not persistent nausea or dizziness, though, it seems tied to me eating or drinking something. But maybe that's a coincidence?

I'm taking Milk Thistle for liver, doing epsom salt baths, drinking lots of water.

Aside from taking probiotics, I can't say I've been doing anything for candida (I'm not on any specific sort of diet). Maybe I should be taking more than I am?

I don't do artificial sweeteners, I actually am allergic to those (although generally they give me hives, not pain). Also tend to stay away from greasy things, fried things. I'm down a gall-bladder, thanks to an apparently alarming amount of stones.

Not super into fizzy beverages, I do still drink coffee and tea though. Had coffee this morning, and had no problem. Had a protein shake, and OH LORD NO IT'S AWFUL.

I was in the hospital in July, with kind of similar but much more severe pain, plus near constant vomiting. They did a bunch of testing, including for H. Pylori, and said that I had some stomach erosion (according to the endoscope my doctor did). I took Prilosec and stopped any kind of caffeine intake for awhile, and hadn't had any trouble since.

At that time, the pain and nausea didn't seem to stem from eating, I just all of a sudden had it, and then it was constant until they started giving me morphine and zofram at the hospital.

I have some friends that do the gluten-free thing that could probably help me out with it. When I check the 'signs you have a gluten allergy' listings though, a lot of doesn't seem to fit (dandruff, rashes, etc.) Why I was sort of wondering if anyone had that type of reaction because of it.

Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
From a long history of ulcers I know any good dotor would tell anyone with your symptoms that "Coffee must go" sorry. However, organically grown and naturally decafeinated (sp? tried all ways) should be okay for that flavor.

Even if you don't have the trouble at the time of the coffee, it is very caustic to the stomach lining. It was very hard for me to quit coffee (oh, about 4 times) but it was SO well worth it.

With "some stomach erosion" they were wrong not to tell you to avoid coffee.

As for signs of gluten trouble: you have signs. And it may be best to just stop all gluten and all dairy for a while (and coffee). While the vertigo can be from the zith, the getting very hot is of concern. I would feel better if you would ask a doctor about that.

Have you been assessed for BABESIA? That can make one very hot, on and off.

But, I can see that having been in hospital and their not being able to help much would put you off asking a doctor about this again.

As for "protein shakes" -- I'll do something I usually don't do and make a blanket statement " most are just crummy with old, rancid ingredients. And it can be very hard to find the very good ones.

I'd get off the protein shakes completely. Blenderize all your food if you have to (or part juiced, part steamed).

Eggs are usually easy on the stomach and good protein. HEMP PROTEIN powder is good, and usually organic.

Avoid any drinks with rice, it gets rancid fast and can contain arsenic.

GREEN VIBRANCE is nice drink, though not sure how much protein in it.

BONE BROTH, shredded chicken (organic would be best even if you have to buy less due to cost it's worth it in the long run, get all you can from the bones . . . simmer for hours).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Probiotics are not usually enough against candida.

Special diets & also certain supplements would be in order. Milk thistle is nice being on board for liver (and ear) help. Still, zith can be a major factor for the dizziness and nausea.

Milk thistle will not address candida, though. You don't mention sugars or refined carbs but do be sure to avoid both. Most LLMDs suggest this of all patients.

You can Google "candida diet" and find various ones, some stricter than others but all say: no refined carbs . . . only complex carbs, protein and fat (from good sources).

Some suggest not even complex carbs other than veggies. I think that can be to harsh and I really need the complex grains like WILD RICE, black rice, millet, quinoa. You can blenderize wild rice if it's too rough.

QUINOA FLAKES may be kind to your stomach and due to their protein and fat, surprising, are still good regarding the glycemic index. Normally the finer a grain is taken, the glycemic index will go sky high. But this does not happen with quinoa flakes so for times when the stomach revolts, this can be of help.

And OLE (olive leaf extract) can help tremendously with candida.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
In addition to Probiotics and Diet, help against Candida:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030549;p=0

OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT - LINKS
-

ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Yeah, they did tell me to cut out coffee, tea, and anything with caffeine in it for a month. But the doctor told me after that, it would be fine in moderation. I still drink much less than I used to, and usually do a cup of coffee and a cup of tea most days. Quitting that was super hard, because I do love the taste of it, but I'm also rather partial to being able to eat things [Smile]

The hot flash sort of effect, I also find really weird. The only other time I've had that sort of feeling was when they tried to put me on Vancomycin - I had that red man syndrome, and they told me I couldn't take it. I don't see my Lyme doc again until the 26th, but I can ask him if there's some connection.

My testing for co-infections came up negative for everything, my Lyme test came back all kinds of positive. Both from Igenex. I don't have the night sweats, and I'm actually cold pretty much all of the time otherwise.

I'll have to try switching over to blending things, I'd been using the off-the-shelf variety in the interest of just eating something. Desperate times and all that.

I guess I would have thought with a gluten intolerance, bread and bread-type things like crackers would be the worst, but it's one of the few things I seem to be able to manage. Peanut butter also seems to be mostly agreeable. I'll have to see how I do with eggs, and that bone broth sounds like a good plan.

Oof. Will have to go shopping once I can get vertical [Smile]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Dr. Burrascano's guidelines say "no caffeine" for a couple reasons, I suspect.

Beyond your stomach telling you that DECAF would be best, why organic is also so important. And if yours has not been, this could explain a few things:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/01/30/if-you-drink-coffee-make-sure-it-is-organic.aspx

If You Drink Coffee Make Sure it is Organic - January 30, 2010

- by Joseph Mercola, D.C.

[Green Tea also discussed here. Beyond just finding Decaf coffee, Green Tea may be a very nice thing for you to enjoy. I sure do.]
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Can someone do the shopping for you? It sounds like you would be best to stay out of a grocery store right now. Really. It's a super charged vertigo machine with lights, sounds, ink from boxes . . . hope you find someone who can go for you.

Not even sure driving is such a good idea if you are dizzy. Just ask those you know, even those you don't (neighbors?).
-

ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

We do have some awesome organic green tea, and some organic mint tea that's helpful with the nausea.

Driving hasn't really been an issue. The dizziness and the hot flash that goes along with it, it's very short. And not really of the vertigo variety, it's a lightheaded kind of thing. I only get that one sometimes, as opposed to having the nausea and pain with seemingly whatever I eat. Which is why I thought maybe an allergy to something specific, but haven't figured out what it might be.

TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if your symptoms fit porphyria, but you might want to investigate that. I have been looking into this as a possible issue for me lately.
Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

I'm married though, also, so I have someone around if I need him. I know how you lymenet crew worry over each other [Smile]
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Porphyria's not one that's come up at any of my jillion doctors visits, prior to getting diagnosed with Lyme.

I definitely have a history of GI issues, though not in any officially diagnosed capacity. I've had a lot of testing done, but aside from the stomach erosion (which is new), they've not come up with anything.

When I first got sick, around '99 or so, I had a really bad flu, joint pain, and everything I ate gave me stomach pain. I lost about 20 pounds which, at the time, I couldn't really afford to lose.

It eventually cleared up, but I've never had any kind of appetite. I forget to eat, a lot. I'm prone to nausea, taking doxycycline was murder.

But the abdominal muscle cramping, the hot flash (I just turned 30, so can't blame the usual culprit for that one), the lightheadedness, that stuff's all new.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I think your doctors gave up too soon.

Actually, hot flashes and endocrine disruptions can happen earlier (especially with lyme, and with so many endocrine disruptors in processed foods and personal care scents) but what you describe sounds more involved than that.

TNT's suggestion warrants review. Most doctors don't know anything about porphyria, really, and for many with lyme, "secondary porphyria" should always be considered. Fasting, forgetting to eat can trigger a porphyria attack.

That eating crackers seems to calm things down pretty fast fits porphyria (though a better option would be gluten free quinoa flakes). So does that erratic spasming in the gut.

more detail here, see the "secondary" post first:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?#000000

Topic: what type of M.D. tests for PORPHYRIA

Many good links here
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Back to: is your appendix still with you?
-

ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

"Hot baths may lessen nausea temporarily." Listed in the wikipedia entry for it. Which is weird, because that's been the most helpful to me. I actually just got out of the tub.
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

I do still have an appendix.

And am looking up where I can get quinoa flakes, as I'm recently pretty obsessed with quinoa.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I'd insist on an image the appendix. Although, I'd like to think they did that when you were in the hospital with this set of symptoms (?). Even if so, get another one now.

The appendix can be moderately festering and not on the full blown war path to cause some of what you describe, especially that flash fever sort of thing.

And the appendix is not always in the typical place.

I assume you've not been given a diagnosis of diverticulitis. That could also cause some infections hiding in pockets.

Still, I hope you can avoid all processed foods. Steamed cauliflower always works for me when my tummy is off.

Most natural foods store carry quinoa flakes. I would use them mostly for when you can't do whole food. You can order them, too. I think ANCIENT HARVEST is the website but likely cheaper at www.vitacost.com or www.iherb.com

Best to not eat the same food every day, though. Rotate from a very broad assortment.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Even if gastroparesis might not be the diagnosis, there are some things of value here about the digestive system. Lyme can cause gastroparesis, too, that that is to be considered.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119808;p=0

Topic: Treatment / Support for Gastroparesis

Many great links here, including a very good book
-

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suggest getting thyroid and adrenals tested. Be sure they do Free T3, Free T4, TSH, and thyroid antibodies. For adrenal, they need to check all of the hormones involved (DHEA, etc.), not just cortisol...

Your symptoms are consistent with histamine overload, which can be caused by low thyroid and/or low adrenal function.

As a stop-gap measure, might try low histamine diet and I agree with avoiding sugar, dairy & gluten also.

And might also try something like Claritin or Zyrtec too...to see if an antihistamine helps.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ladycakes:

...everything that I eat makes me sick.
I get nausea, but no diarrhea.
I have pretty severe pain, although what's weird is that my ab muscles seem to cramp up...

I get really hot, and really dizzy.

I was in the hospital in July, with kind of similar but much more severe pain, plus near constant vomiting.

...said that I had some stomach erosion (according to the endoscope my doctor did).
I took Prilosec...

At that time, the pain and nausea didn't seem to stem from eating, I just all of a sudden had it, and then it was constant until they started giving me morphine and zofram at the hospital.

When did your recent symptoms begin.
Did anything change with your physical condition or your meds?

How often do you get the "hot and dizzy" spells during the day?
Take your temperature the next time it happens.

Are you still taking the Prilosec?
Have you tried taking Zofran recently for the nausea?
Have you tried taking digestive enzymes?

"The hot flash sort of effect, I also find really weird.
The only other time I've had that sort of feeling was when they tried to put me on Vancomycin..."

If you had problems taking Vancomycin, you may want to consider an experiment.
Try not taking your IV medication for one day, and evaluate if your nausea and dizzy hot spells change at all.

Some IV meds can cause nausea if they are infused too quickly.
Check with your pharmacist if you have that problem.

As Keebler mentioned, bone broth can be very helpful, replacing minerals.
The stomach cramping might be due to low magnesium.

Can you tolerate small amounts of coconut oil or other fats like butter?

I've read that some people could only eat mashed potatoes when everything else disagreed with them.
Potatoes provide vitamins and minerals, and protein too.

Oh, another thing.
I hope Bea Seibert sees your post.
Her husband had ongoing problems with nausea, and she may be able to evaluate you.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

I wasn't actually aware that there was such a thing as an anti-histamine diet. There are ever so many diets to keep up on.

They did do imaging of my appendix, I had at least a CT and an MRCP done, endoscopy, maybe an MRI, I can't quite recall. We actually found the gall bladder problem after they did a CT when I came in for bronchitis, so that one was kind of discovered by accident.

Have had no diverticulitis dx, I had colitis a few years ago, but that was an entirely different sort of pain.

Symptoms started maybe a few weeks ago, so not right when I started the new meds, but maybe a week or two after. I was on an oral for a week, then started the IV meds with it. Both of these, I've been on in the past.

I haven't gotten the hot and dizzy thing more than once a day, and it's not every day. When it does happen, it's always within maybe 15 minutes of eating something. So far, I haven't found any pattern in things that I eat that sets that off. It lasts for maybe half an hour, tops.

Seems like eating anything makes me at least a little bit nauseous, for around half an hour after eating it. Sometimes it's worse, and sometimes it's pain, but in any case it doesn't last very long. I feel pretty great in between eating, except for being generally headachey because... you know, food's good for you.

I'm not doing the Prilosec anymore, they only prescribed that for a couple of months. I have one or two Zofran left, but the nausea hasn't been that severe, and it's not constant. Haven't tried digestive enzymes on their own, but I tried a shakeology mix that has enzymes in it, which actually kicked off one of those hot and dizzy spells.

I'm actually off of the IV meds two days a week (Zithro's 5 days on, 2 days off). Haven't noticed a difference on the days I'm not taking it.

Fats seem to be fine, actually one of the things on my short list of "stuff I can eat that doesn't make me wanna die" is peanut butter.

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you constipated? Are you bloated? I was, while still having bowel movements-

thought I had it under control, because I was gluten free and took expensive probiotics, magnesium, etc.

The sweats, dizzy may be herx, I don't know,
but maybe watch your diet and bowels about the nausea-

instead of peanut butter for fat, maybe try organic coconut oil mixed in a hot tea. I mix some in a peppermint tea,

sometimes coffee, taking it 3x a day, it's helped me a lot.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this nausea issue also.

It is worse in the morning on an empty stomach, and seems to be directly related to the quality of sleep the night before. (Poor sleep=gut wrenching nausea)

Nothing seems to improve it.

I take digestive enzymes, eat probiotic foods, take probiotics, eat good fiber...

Sometimes peppermint tea helps, but otherwise I need Gravol to keep food and meds down.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement