LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction
Summer3
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm working with mainstream (non Lyme-literate) doctors to get some control over my fainting. I also have a lot of benign irregular heartbeats that I take a beta blocker for and some other issues like weight loss, and an inability to tolerate temperature changes which may be related to the ANS damage as well.

So far the meds aren't working great. I passed out on Saturday in a really bad way. I FELL to the ground with very little warning and had no way to stop it. Luckily a pile of clothes prevented me from smashing my head on a tile floor.

I think the symptomatic medications (florinef and midodrine) will eventually work when I'm brave enough to raise the dose up high enough. I worry about raising Florinef too high. I'm on 0.1 right now. Two cardiologists want to get the Florinef dose up as high as 0.4 but since I don't take antibiotics........I have very strong concerns about anything that has even a remote chance of immune suppression. Even though Florinef doesn't have the typical immune suppressing effects like Cortef and Prednisone, I feel like it's a big risk for me to take a high dose of any steroid when I'm not on antibiotics.

I asked the EP if I'd have to be on these meds forever and he said probably. That was really an upsetting thing for me to hear since I never take medications and I'm fairly young. I'm not looking forward to a lifetime of pills just to be able to have some control of my BP and stop myself from collapsing out in public.

The doctor was not overly knowledgeable about Lyme, but he was about fainting and this type of autonomic nervous system problem. He had common sense and was not condescending. He said in my case the autonomic nervous system problems ARE caused by Lyme.

Has anyone reversed autonomic nerve damage with herbal Lyme treatment? I don't have access to IV antibiotics or even orals. I know this type of manifestation is fairly serious. I have my doubts that herbs will be strong enough. Hoping to hear some success stories.

I have tried all natural alternatives before the meds to try to stop the fainting (caffeine, licorice, ashwagandha, high salt diet, rhodiola, fluids, etc.).

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first got sick I had horriblwe POTs- I passed out once walking to the bathroom

It went away after treating babesia and lyme, heavy duty with abx

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer,
Can you do IV Saline? That helps my BP get up a little bit. I run super low normally.

Sorry to hear about your bad passing out episode!

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have access to IV saline. I don't have a PICC. Not sure a mainstream cardiologist would go along with that. If it ever was suggested I'd jump at the chance at this point since I could also probably infuse glutathione which is the only thing that helps me (other than B12 and magnesium).

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treating Lyme and Babesia usually results in improved autonomic function. Temperature regulation is a part of dysautonomia.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For irregular heartbeat, I have taken supplements supposed to help: calcium-magnesium-zinc combination tablet(over the counter), and CoQ10 together. This combination helps my occasional irregular heartbeat.

Have you checked the Magnesium links topic here? You might check your symptoms to see if magnesium deficiency might be part of your problem.

It apparently doesn't help to test the blood for this. A supplement used by someone on the forum helped them, Remag, and the website for that is given.

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read here.
Ccsvi in actually Caused ANS
It's all vascular and this disease blocks up blood flow and that is not just an oxygen problem but it's being proven it's more importantly causes ANS. I found it ironic I saw your post as I have recently been researching this

* With good blood flow to brain mechanical energy is transferred to the autonomic fibers that travel along the outside of the vein. This alters the ANS communications between bodies organs and the brain.

Pm me for the site of the doctor who is researching and helping people if u like.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement