LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » stupid dumb drs -vent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stupid dumb drs -vent
LisaK
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just need to vent

saw 8th! GI "dr" from the stupid clinic I am forced to go to since no insurance. He did not introduce himslef and I figured later that he was an intern or whatever you are before a dr..

He asked why I was on bactrim and azithro and I told him I have tick diseases. He said, "well, why are you taking them for 3 months?!"

I said, "well, I have been diagnosed with 4 tick diseases "(of course he didn't know what any were except lyme)

this is what he said to me:
"wow! do you like in a jungle or something?"

what an idiot

he also came into the room with a scrap of paper and none of my records (3rd time I was there)

he said the computers were down, but when I checked out there were 3 people at the desk using computers!

this is after 3 visits, seeing diffrnt drs each time and none seem to know what the hell is going on

bleh bleh bleh

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of stupid "doctors" out there.....Sorry for your bad experience. Maybe karma is the form of a tick bite will show him the light.
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops, mistype, ""wow! do you LIVE in a jungle or something?"- and yes, I did proofread [Wink]

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am lucky enough to have excellent insurance and the last Gi doc i saw told me to go gluten free

two days later I had an emergency appendectomy
I'm
as far as I'm concerned they are all jerks

I had one reasonably good one a long time ago but he's far away

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winesnob81
Member # 42355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winesnob81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience, GI doctors just want to prescribe some PPI acid reducing drug and tell you to come back in a month.

I have seen a few of them for a variety of different symptoms and issues and every one of them, every time, has told me to take some PPI.

It seems a lot of Doctors try to fit their patients into preconceived boxes of things they think they know how to treat.

If that doesn't work then they are not wrong in their treatment program, "it is in your head."

Just my experience.....

Posts: 31 | From Davis, CA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It took me years to realize that I was NOT forced to see doctors just because they were the only ones insurance would pay for. Even if you can't see a LLMD for budget reasons,

or for other issues if you can't find an intelligent doctor who is "well enough educated" for the purpose of the visit in your insurance plan, just don't go. Just say no.

Figure out how else, who else, where else to gather information, expertise, options. Figure out what you can do on your own.

Most Rx that doctors push down our throats for stomach issues are actually damaging to us in many ways and don't address the causes.

Only if you might need a specific test (either lab or scan of some type) would you then proceed under your insurance plan. Actually, even then, be aware that tests for gluten are often done incorrectly. Many doctors are just clueless in that area, too.

Regardless of whether celiac or not, many LLMD strongly suggest their lyme patients are gluten free well into remission. (If celiac, though, that would be life long advice, of course).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Are you Gluten-Free? Dairy-Free? GMO-free? Organic? Those really made a fabulous different for my GI issues.

For a start, anyway and for the absolute foundation of my diet, it really matters to keep in line with all that. So, SO, much better for it. Details here that can save pain, lives:

Re: Food Additives

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors (that are not likely natural at all);

GMO foods that destroy the GI Tract; Gluten; Dairy.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Do learn the signs for appendicitis, of course. And know that it can sometimes be on the left side - not always where it "belongs"
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
And, liver support can help the whole GI system, too. See the "How the Liver Works" link here and then connect in that same "ONE EARTH" site to learn more about the GI tract and how we can support it.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

For more profound issues, including "Bell's Palsy of the Gut" that can affect those with lyme - see 1/3 of the way down:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119808;p=0

Topic: Treatment / Support for Gastroparesis

Many great links here, along with LL ND links
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As so many different doctors have been run past you in that practice (you say that you are on your "8th GI doctor" there), you may have been "awarded" a distinguished code of some type. Most common is:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030921;p=0

What does the term "DIFFICULT PATIENT" mean?

How will this affect standard of care even for ordinary doctor visits?

Why is that written in bold letters inside my medical chart cover?

& HOW DOCTORS THINK
-

karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...once I heard a doctor say to a friend in the hospital after surgery
" you are mutating to a camel"

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone I've talked to about GI docs says the same thing. It's acid blockers for whatever ails ya!

Geez, did they only take one class in medical school? And only show up for one day?

Cuz I could do that.

The best things I've ever done for my GI were treating protozoans and helminths. And taking HCl to increase my stomach acid.

I get reflux when my stomach is too alkaline, which can be a side effect of abx, and a problem with our disease in general. I feel so much better when I supplement HCl.

Oh! When I got my initial blood draws for Igenex, the lab techs asked me if I travelled a lot, like I had a bajillion exotic diseases.

Nope. Just the current epidemic. Ho hum.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

yes, everyone.... ugh. GIs can be very CLOSED minded. I saw one supposedly great dr at U of Penn that didn't wash his hands when he touched me!

but anyway....

yes, I am gluten free. I have extreme allergy to gluten for years so.... and also dairy, although that one is very hard for me to stay away from in the form of cheese.

Sometimes I enjoy a bowl of cereal with cow dairy, but it is usually half and half or cream as " regular " milk really bothers me- my whole body in general.

You all should know, I went to see this GI because about 3 months ago or so I had a blowout of excruciating pain in my esophagus while on doxy.

so I wanted to get everything looked at in there to make sure there is no ulcer or h.pylori in my stomach which was a possible watch from last time I had one done

One good thing that has come out of this- knowledgewise- is the dr I thought did my procedure, ( it turned out a rude little girl with a stick up her youknowwhat , and they concealed that from me before the procedure by telling me that she was "assisting" !!)

hope you are getting this.... the dr I THOUGHT did procedure saw me in recovery and told me he thinks I have "slow digestion" as sometimes lyme can cause this

well, that was the first intelligent thing I heard from someone in this field.

this had been a complaint of mine for years- that I am very full after only a few bites at most meals.

I DID tell them at this clinic at my first consult that I had fullness, difficulty swallowing and sometimes choked on my food.

I have also mentioned this to my lyme drs. They had never mentioned this slow gut thing to me and one even said I may be choking from a thyroid issue (which I didn't doubt since my thyroid physically feels different to me )

Then when I went in for the followup the other day when that Dr JR. went and got the REAL dr to come in, the real dr said that I needed to be on Prilosec for 4-6 weeks and come back and if I still had issues with "gerd" .....

I interjected with a REMINDER to him (and the 2 Dr. JRs standing in the room) that I had OTHER symptoms- other than reflux or heartburn which SELDOM happen.

I mentioned what the other dr said about lyme and slow gut, and this dr then said they would

check into another possible issue for Gastroparesis after I was on the prilosec. I asked what that would be, and he would actually NOT tell me, claiming that we don't need to even "go that route" unless we need to.

at this point I could not contain myself and started laughing. I told him, "dr. if you don't tell me, I am just going to look it up!"

and so he tried to distract me with mixed wordage.

so , now that *I* know I don't have ulcers or things like that I can now focus on this other issue I guess which was MY main concern anyway! (the choking and gagging and feeling full)

anyone here have this and what, if anything, can be done about it?

ps to Keebler- I have read a lot about gut palsy but not found any info on what can be done about helping it- do your articles tell that? (reading is even more limited this week as I am suffering from influenza and have only small bursts of energy, so any shortened versions or links are welcome)

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

sickfopain, what you said about them telling you that you eat too much cheese but didn't ask made me laugh!

when I got my flimsy "result" letter from the GI clinic office it said, paraphrasing- " you have chronic gastritis caused by taking too many NSAIDS"

well, I don't take nsaids. OK, maybe like ONCE a year for one day! haha

when I asked Jr Dr. if the gastritis could be from a certain citrus based isotonic multi vitamin I was taking for years, he had no clue whatsoever

--------------------

Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had gut issues, but pre-lyme though.

One time I had this thing where if felt like the food would not go down my esophagus right. I'd often have to leave the dining table to go lay down in the middle of a meal. This happened three or 4 times a week to varying degrees and went on for about 2 years. I thought it was stress related cause the kids were really small and I was really STRESSED!

The other time I got acid reflux and bloating that went on for about 8 months and I tried all the enzymes, HCL and alternative stuff I could find but nothing really helped like is should have.

Both situations were fully corrected through homeoapthy. I had to consult a professional homeoapth each time. The first situation cured easily. The second we had to try a remedy in several potenceis for a complete cure ending up with an LM potency instead of a high potency which generally worked for me historically.

Never been bothered since by either conditions.

Homeopathy can correct the underlying issues so that no pills of any kind are needed.

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone who makes a living probing people's behinds has to be twisted, demented, warped...and most of them are stupid too.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickofthepain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofthepain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get food stuck in my throat. It was like I was suddenly full and it wouldn't go down and sometimes not even with water. That seems

better. Intestines are now becoming a paper mill slurry and not in a good way.

My mom, whom I think has undiagnosed lyme, has a new thing going on in her throat. She did have major gerd and now the dr's are telling

her that she could get throat cancer because stomach cells are trying to form in her throat, or something like that. She is taking another

drug.She would try other things but she is broke and it's all medicare will pay for. She is more of a mess than me. My poor mom. She has had so

many surgeries, knee, shoulder bone spurs, carpel tunnel surgeries, pins in her spine, heart

stints, gall bladder surgery, kidney stones, she has a c-pap, constant sinus, can't lose weight

even if she doesn't eat, diabetes, foggy bottom brain. I hope you come across the right dr. So frustrating.

Posts: 294 | From southwest mi | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

wow Sick, that is so sad.

BUT, I am REALLY trying to be strong enough to let go of other people's stubbornness to accepting facts.

All anyone has to do is find a Dr they can beg to start abx to just see if there is any improvement

I know, I know, easy to say! and twice as easy if you have money, which we do not.

My mom has lyme- I know it. She would rather have a bone marrow aspiration than ask her dr to try abx!!! she is 82. and she has a dr that is VERY open.

o brother.

and my niece , 13, has been 'treated' for lyme for 10 days so there is "no way she can have it" even though she has cycling symptoms and complains about that infamous "my belly hurts" thing

It is amazing how people don't want to believe they could have this stuff

I am trying to let them all go..... Is that bad?

on a flip side, I am getting prepared to start a new support group locally since there aren't any, so that way , hopefully, SOMEONE will have their eyes opened and actually wake up to accept facts

Also, I am meaning to write ASAP letters to all the past 30+ drs I have seen that had no clue about these diseases. I am going to send

them all info and clips, etc. Anonymously of course.

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

Carmen, are you SURE your symptoms were pre-lyme? just a thought....

looking back, I think I had symptoms WAY before I got that bulls eye 16 years ago

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

Keebler- I saw 8 drs at the clinic because it IS a clinic.

They are unorganized at best and have almost no "real" drs. and that is why every time you get whomever. You cannot request a dr there

you get what you pay for.

sad thing is, it may have been better that I never had been affluent as I wouldn't know the difference between these clinic Drs. or government run drs compared to real drs that care and work hard for a living in their own practices!

--------------------

sickofthepain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofthepain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That clinic you talk about is like the one here. Scary. Good for you for starting a support group.

The one that is suppose to be here, evidently doesn't exist. No one ever emailed me back or called.

After I had a positive igenex test, I wrote the dr's, eye dr and mri interpreters. I tried to be tactful and kind, letting them know that what

they had diagnosed as something else(or not at all) was lyme, that this is what lyme looks like. When I first went into the dr's here, I had a

medical health history written down with my list of problems, so they should have that in my file as a reference, but it was probably tossed. It

does fall on deaf eyes but you at least do your part. I am so glad that I didn't see 20 dr's. I started doing my own research online when this

was happening and had it narrowed down to lupus or lyme with a false positive syphilis test even though the eye dr said I have the beginning stage of ms in my one eye. I feel badly for those who

don't have the strength or ability to try to advocate for self. I see several of my family members that exhibit lyme symptoms but it doesn't

do me any good to talk about it. It means giving up things and it reminds me of the parable of the

rich man who was told to sell everything he had but he walked away sadly instead. Or they are resigned to what their insurance company dictates what they are allowed.

Posts: 294 | From southwest mi | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the insurance GI docs won't talk to you about yeast overgrowth (candida), parasites, klebsiella pneumonia, bartonella that can all be in your GI tract wreaking havoc.

Or, how these infections (particularly candida) puncture holes in your tract, creating a leaky gut, making you react to food proteins like gluten, dairy, soy.

They won't order a metramedix stool test to find out what's really going on and how to treat.

I'm fixing up my own gut- I thought being 100% gluten free was enough- it wasn't. I was still eating all kinds of GF carbs, and dairy, constipated, etc.

I also had a parasite issue that blew my mind with months treating.

Recently went 'Paleo' no grains, no dairy, no legumes, no boxed food.
I'm healing.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement