LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Updated Map of United States Lyme Prevalence?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Updated Map of United States Lyme Prevalence?
j77
Member # 42716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody know of an updated map depicting Lyme geographic distribution density across the US? I found a 10 year old CDC map... but even if current, I'm not sure the CDC is the best source on this topic given their + litmus test benchmarks.
Posts: 58 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J77- Not sure what you intend to use the map for, but the map I like best is the one showing cases of Lyme and 2 other TBD in dogs across the US. Shown by both state and county, and it includes cases from 2007 to date. (Click on states to see more detail.)

http://www.dogsandticks.com/diseases_in_your_area.php

The Lyme Disease Association also has a nice map showing individual and all states and how many reported cases were in each, by number. They also have a nice variety of other data compilations that may be of interest to you.

http://module.lymediseaseassociation.net/Maps/#

And yes, the CDC sucks. When they have to admit they've missed zillions of cases you pretty much know they can't be trusted to provide accurate info on any aspect of Lyme (in my opinion). Here is their 2011 map and other years, with what/where they want Lyme to be, mostly in the east and upper mid-west, the places they've where they've screwed up the most.

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/maps/interactiveMaps.html

Sorry if those maps aren't what you were specifically looking for, but they are the ones I am most familiar with. Hope it helps.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j77
Member # 42716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are fantastic Tincup! Exactly what I was looking for in fact. I am looking at a possible move in the next 2-5 years and am interested in the current picture of infection density. Lyme & co has suddenly become a factor for me in evaluating possible locations. Since no place is truly untouched by lyme and/or confections, I figured infection prevalence was the next best thing to look at.

I am particularly interested in Wyoming, Utah and Colorado to be near some of my favorite outdoor areas & activities. Those areas have there own issues for sure, but it looks safer than the east coast/northeast:)

I am now officially neurotic/ocd about bugs crawling on me when outdoors, but it will be nice to be in an area where the disease is not so densely carried as it is on the east coast. It's almost comical to think about how little I used to care about bugs crawling all over me or how many things bit me. The only things I ever worried about & checked for consistently were ticks... and I never found one. Figures:) Now it's all I think about since my Lyme & Co discovery this past August.

Posts: 58 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
j77, you might want to do search on this site. I've seen many Colorado folks here over the years.

Yes, Utah and Wyoming folks have been finding us too, especially of late.

This is a world wide problem. Yes, VA is epidemic, but so is KY and nobody knows that about KY except the people that are fighting and finally figured out it was lyme and not MS, ALS, Parkinson, arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue etc etc etc.

Ky is considered a very health poor state. Yes, diabetes and obesity are huge but there is so much sickness in this state.

Wonder if 15-25% or could it be higher(?) of those ill people are actually victims of Lyme Disease and other Co-infections in our state?

I really don't think my numbers will be far off from the truth.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great! Happy to hear the maps were what you needed. You said.. "I am now officially neurotic/ocd about bugs crawling on me when outdoors..."

I can relate to that. I use to be the worst when it came to thinking how a tiny tick could bring a happy, young, extremely healthy person to their knees so quickly. I reacted as most of us do here and lived in fear of ticks and being outdoors again.

For anyone on the planet that is not a healthy way to live, and in my case, as a park ranger who worked and lived in the woods, it was overwhelmingly devastating to my mind and spiritual well-being.

It took a long time, longer than I'd like to admit, but I finally came to the point I decided I would follow the advise I was giving to others.

"DON'T LET THE TICKS WIN."

After all, I knew just about all there was to know about ticks and tick borne diseases at the time, knew the best prevention methods, knew what to watch for and what to do if bitten. I was experienced with what to do if you get Lyme, just as you are now.

So please know this fear inside you can be overcome with the right attitude and approach. I hope you work toward a goal that will keep you out there in nature and happy. It can be done!

And look at the positive side. If you choose Colorado, I hear you can now legally smoke some pot to calm your fears. (I'm kidding, of course. I do not promote drug use.)

Anyhow... if you keep the following advise in mind on a daily basis, you too can overcome your fears.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right Colorado does have medical maryjane on every street corner now.

Many say medical MJ has saved their life with dealing with pain of this illness. The TV news story I seen says medical MJ is not the same as the street stuff which can be grown and harvested and cut with some chemicals that medical grown is not.

Good point TC. I've had another tick scare in the last week. No matter what I do unless I stayed secluded in a concrete 30 story home, and that's no guarantee that one tick couldn't find me in hiding. lol

I've declared war on them beating me and they will not. A tick is not going to beat me or win against all that I've learned. Knowledge is power.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sil in salt lake said she has seen an increase in utah.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement