LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Babesia without lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babesia without lyme
sparklyholiday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklyholiday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a LLMD not too long ago and finally spoke to him today.

My igenex lyme only showed band 41. But he also did a blood smear to look for babs, which he confirmed I had.

We are still waiting on labcorp to send back all my other labs, so he's not going to have me start anything new until we get those back.

I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis by my rheumy and when the lyme stuff all came up, I thought maybe I was misdiagnosed. He thinks I actually do have as... But clearing up any infections I have will probably help with my as symptoms.

He said it's pretty uncommon to have co infections without lyme, so he's going to treat both... But based on igenex, he's doubting lyme and just covering it to be safe!

Does anyone else know of anyone who has coinfections without lyme? Just curious! :-)

Posts: 173 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm sure others will chime in...but i thought band 41 was a definite marker for Lyme.

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your infections came from a tick, Lyme will be in your mix. Many of us test negative for Lyme. It's a stealth pathogen with many mechanisms that help it evade our immune systems and subsequent detection.

Treating for the "big 3" - Lyme, Bart, Babs - is the way to go.

AS has both a genetic marker and infectious cause. If you are positive for the genetic marker, you should be tested and treated for Klebsiella. If your symptoms aren't severe, the condition can completely reverse.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because Igenex came up negative (this time)doesn't mean you don't have it. Band 41 is also common to other Filagia (sp?) type bacteria.

Having a positive Babs Dx helps. Most LLMDs will treat on symptoms and do trial Rx combos to gauge your reactions to Babs, bart and lyme protocols.

gmb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi sparkyholiday:

Band 41 is indicative of a borrelia spirochete bacteria. It is antigen response reading to the flagella, not borrelia burgdorferi specific but does indicate exposure to a spirochete bacteria.

So you could have a spirochete infection besides Lyme.

My personal experience is my daughter has had 12 Western Blots by Igenex and has never been positive. She has had various positive bands, just never enough at the same time to be considered positive.

She has been positive for bands 30, 34, 41 and indeterminate for bands 31, 39, 41.

Now on the co infections she never tested positive for babesia but the LLMD treated based upon symptoms.

For Bartonella, she didn't show symptoms until we stopped medications thinking she was done with the Lyme and Babesia. Then in 7 months the Lyme came back with bartonella. We first noticed the Lyme (fatigue, anxiety) and then bart rashes.

Over 4 years she never tested positive for Bart until her most recent blood work. In October we tested her with Igenex, negative and Specialty Labs positive for the IgG with a 1:64.

If I have my charting right we've tested 11 times for Bart and it took the 11th for the positive titer.

So if any results come up negative but you have the symptoms the odds favor you have the underlying bacteria.

Good luck.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparklyholiday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklyholiday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for the feedback! He did say that it was unlikely to have babs without lyme... which is why he's treating both.

I haven't gotten all of my bloodwork back yet - I know that mycoplasma was something else he suspected because of how all of my symptoms change or start after a bout with pneumonia (4 bouts of pneumonia).

Regarding the AS - yes, I have the genetic marker for it (HLA B27 positive). When the lyme stuff started, I was kinda hoping I was misdiagnosed and I didn't have both! Not everyone who is HLA B27 positive gets A.S. - but my doc did say that the lyme and babs could have caused the A.S. to "come to life" (so to speak).

Posts: 173 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SLML
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLML     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So,from all my reading, band 41 is specific for spirochete but not specific to Borrelia. It could be dental spirochete, borrelia spirochete or syphalis.

If you google Band 41 you can read up on it.
There are other forums with the same discussion on Band 41 and it is not considered specific to Borrelia Burgdorferi. There are other bands that are specific to Borrelia Burgdorferi though.

Posts: 123 | From Washington State | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
band 41 can also be h.pylori
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement