LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Chlorella

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chlorella
xrunnerx2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xrunnerx2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a little experiment three months ago. I was have awful heart pain and it would not go away. I decided to stop taking chlorella, activated charcoal and this other binder my doctor has me on. My heart pain went away. Three days ago I decided to start chlorella again (fyi- i take tons of detox baths, exercise and sweat a lot and drink tons of lemon water for my detox methods). I have heart pain, a burning sensation near my heart, and I have felt awful.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with chlorella such as this? And yes it is an organic brand I got at my doctors office made in the USA and nowhere near Japan and is from a natural man made system. The brand is BioPure.

Thanks everyone!

Posts: 251 | From Baltimore | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Are The Side Effects Of Chlorella - including the heart

Chlorella is an alga which grows in fresh water and is used to make nutritional supplements and medicine but studies suggest that there could be side effects of chlorella.

The majority of the chlorella that is available in the U.S. is from Japan or Taiwan. It is processed and made into tablets and liquid extracts. These extracts are rich with chlorella growth factors which are described as water-soluble extracts of chlorella containing chemicals including amino acids, peptides, proteins, vitamins, sugars, and nucleic acids.

Chlorella is a good source of protein, fats, carbohydrates, fiber, chlorophyll, vitamins, and minerals. The cell wall of chlorella must be broken down before people can digest it.

However chlorella could have a few side effects.

Despite the fact that chlorella has gained popularity over the years, the side effects of chlorella put forth by medical professionals cannot be ignored.

Here are few Side Effects of Chlorella;

The most common side effects of chlorella include diarrhea, nausea, gas (flatulence), green discoloration of the stools, and stomach cramping, especially in the first week of use.

The main among chlorella side effects are possible stomach problems and chest pain.

Other chlorella side effects include increased rate of heart beat. Vomiting can also be considered as one of the chlorella side effects.

Pregnant women are not recommended to consume chlorella.

Bloating is another among the significant chlorella side effects.

Swelling or itching is some of the other side effects of chlorella.

Chlorella is usually safe when consumed for a short-term (maximum up to 2 months).

Chlorella can cause serious allergic reactions, including asthma and other breathing problems. Side effects of chlorella include increasing the sensitivity of skin in the sun.

Intake of chlorella increases the uric acid in the blood stream. Uric acid is known to be the cause for gout which is a rheumatic disease resulting from deposition of uric acid.

More over regarding the side effects of chlorella, there is evidence that chlorella is relatively high in mercury content. Intake of high levels of mercury can result in itchy sensations in the toes, fingers and lips, as well as headaches, fatigue, irritability, muscle weakness and loss of concentration. However there is no proper evidence to prove this.

These were some of the side effects of chlorella. It is advisable to consult your doctor before using it.

http://www.ifood.tv/blog/what-are-the-side-effects-of-chlorella

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Many excellent considerations, included a "clean" source, discussed here:

http://www.naturalnews.com/specialreports/superfoods.pdf

Super Foods: Chlorella & Spirulina

Mike Adams - Natural News 35 pages
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
That stopping something brought relief seems to tell you something. I would certainly NOT take whatever you have there. It could be a coincidence although, I'd want to research the source -- and if it's "clean" then ask your doctor if this is even right for your body.

The SOURCE of chorella could matter -- or even if the very best and cleanest, it just might not be for YOUR body.

I've done well with chlorella, very, very well, indeed as it's my major mineral support. I get it from Mountain Rose Herbs in Oregon.

Something else caught my eye about that "burning sensation near [your] heart"

you say that you "drink tons of lemon water"

- Tons? That can cause heartburn, esophagus burn, ulcer, etc. Be sure to always rinse mouth in water afterward so tooth enamel is not compromised (and wait at least 30 minutes before brushing).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/01/is-this-one-of-natures-most-powerful-detoxification-tools.aspx

CHLORELLA: Use This Superfood to Help Remove Mercury From Your Tissues in Weeks

Joseph Mercola, February 01, 2012

----------------------------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=122314;p=0

Spirulina thread (but CHLORELLA post of note)

GiGi posted: 15 January, 2013

In 2005, I posted this about the use of Spirulina:

"Please note that Spirulina is quite different from Chlorella. Dr. K. says he always is being asked about Spirulina. He responded during a recent seminar as follows:

"There is one paper that shows that Spirulina is quite good for arsenic poisoning; but it's only one paper (publication). On Chlorella we have over 500.

When you look at the nutrient content in Spirulina, it is very poor compared to the content in Chlorella. The protein content is lower. N o n e of the precious ingredients are in there.

Spirulina is not an algae. It's a prokaryote. It is a bacterium that happens to use photosynthesis to make energy.

The same is true for Super Blue-green Algae. It's not an algae at all from a biological point of view. Both, Spirulina and Super Blue-green Algae are microorganisms. Chlorella is a plant. I like to move things in a plant way."

Take care.

Take Chlorella 30 minutes before the main meals and at bedtime. This way chlorella is exactly in that portion of the small intestine where the bile squirts into the gut at the beginning of the meal, carrying with it toxic metals and other toxic waste. These are bound by the chlorella cell wall and carried out via the digestive tract." . . .

(end GiGi's post)
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The burning you experience could be due to timing. As Chlorella causes some bile to squirt out -- if you've just done a "ton" of lemon before that, it could be the combination.
-

Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use chlorella as my main detox, and it has worked well for me. However I use Source Naturals Chlorella from Japan. Think after the nuclear accident I should change source.

When I have done something that kills some Bb, I take it that day and the next for sure. Otherwise I have negative symptoms.

If I get a headache (rare for me, so it says something is wrong), I take it and the headache gets better within a few hours. I assume the headache was from lyme neurotoxins.

My bottle says take with food.

I have had some slight heart racing from time to time, may have been from that.

If my heart feels irregular beating (have always had that sometimes) or somewhat racing, I take a COQ10 pill and a Calcium/magnesium/zinc pill together, and that calms my heart. From the book "Prescription for nutritional healing" by Dr. Balch MD (old book but updated still in most health food stores.)

It has been my health "bible" for 20 years (pre-lyme) and has helped me heal almost every ailment/condition I have had, until this lyme.

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steve1906:
The most common side effects of chlorella include [...] green discoloration of the stools [...].

Definitely I'd take the list and concern more seriously if they hadn't included this one in the list. Oh, the horror ... look out for those beets and berries too, wouldn't want color to get in the way of nutrition ...
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol Michael

Thanks for that bit of humor!

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. K. says to take chlorella UNTIL your stools are green!!! That means a lot of chlorella! That is what I did, to clean herxes. It worked usually wonderful, the best thing ever for me.

When his wife was pregnant, he gave her chlorella, and still during breast feeding. Her milk was green too (that is again, what he recommends to pregnant women)!!!

So yep, I wonder if my blood was also green during the time I was almost EATING chlorella, in great amounts!!!

It took me 4 months to get used to chlorella. I had all sorts of funny or scary reactions with it at first.

A very well known naturopath here in Germany uses chlorella VULGARIS at first. Less protein content, easier to absorb. I used vulgaris at first, it is indeed easier to digest. I moved to pyrenoidosa and other species only when I was sure I could take vulgaris, just because they are more commonly found in the market than vulgaris.

I have seen people vomiting with chlorella, having awful tummy aches, and then having to stay in bed for days... It is not easy for everyone. But for me, by far, the best binder + food complement I ever found.

I no longer have lyme for almost 5 years, and I still take chlorella very often. When I stop for a couple of months, I get some tummy ache, I feel that candida comes back more often...

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement