LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Woke up and can't hear out of my left ear

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Woke up and can't hear out of my left ear
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tbrown2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I woke up and I can't hear out of my left ear is this Lyme related? I was at ear doctor two weeks ago they said everything looks fine...

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
Co infections? Who knows...
Bands 18+ 30+39+41+45+58+66+ IGG
23+39+41+IGM

Posts: 351 | From Boston MA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is exactly what happened to me in Jan. 2011. Some of my hearing returned but then I lost my hearing again after exposure to loud music while taking antibiotics (which were damaging to the ears). Be extra careful of this!

I would call your ENT and let him/her know about this. The ENT can determine whether it is sensorineural hearing loss (inner ear) or if it might be from wax in your ears or from a middle ear infection. Unfortunately, prednisone is recommended for sudden sensorineural hearing loss. It brings back hearing for some. It did not for me. It probably caused further progression of lyme disease for me.

You can also take high doses of Lysine (a supplement) and Valtrex (needs to be prescribed and I know your LLMD will prescribe this because she did for me). Let your LLMD know about this ASAP. Both of these together have been shown to improve hearing.

There are many who lose hearing with lyme disease and get it back over time with treatment. Try not to get discouraged. Take LOTS of magnesium, as it may repair some of the damaged auditory nerves.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had hearing loss prior to treatment. It did get better with treatment but at times would come and go.

Then it went to hyperacussis to tinnitus to being blocked,...No my hearing is pretty good. The tinnitus continues but not as bad. My ENT believes most of my issues now are due to inflammation.

This brought to mind how I knew if I could hear or not. A clock in the bedroom ticks so if I could hear that, I knew my hearing was OK.

One night I couldn't hear it and thought OH NO I lost my hearing again. It turned out that the battery in the clock was dead. [bonk]

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tbrown2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It came back a little later then went again then came back...

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Posts: 351 | From Boston MA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good! I bet there is inflammation in there that is causing this.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

This is pretty annoying I feel like I'm getting more symptoms randomly I started with like 3 then began treatment I'm 4 months in on heavy abx now I get new symptoms all the time

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tbrown, do a search on this site. I think you will find some really good info. I believe Keebler has some great info on it also in the past.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Liver support may not be adequate if there are ototoxic Rx in your plan. More detail:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Took a nap woke up again same thing can barley hear out of left ear. Ugh

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Went to a minute clinic they looked in and said I have some fluid in it left over from a cold I just got over he prescribed a nasal spray but it has what he called a topical minor steroid so should I not use it ?

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Good catch, there.

I would not use a steroid spray. Absolutely not.

But I would employ other methods to reduce inflammation. All that is discussed in the EAR thread above.

MAGNESIUM, orally.

SEA MIST or a sea salt nasal spray. That's where I would start.

DO NOT BLOW YOUR NOSE HARD, DO NOT TRY TO CLEAR EARS with any degree of force.

AVOID gluten, dairy, corn & soy.

And see the EAR thread for other details and explanations.

But do not assume you are out of the woods just because they see inflammation. There can still be nerve damage so it's vital that you call your LLMD on Mon. a.m.

I would stop any Rx that is on the ototoxic list (see the EAR thread) until you talk with your LLMD.

Liver support should be reassessed.

Be sure to avoid loud sounds, even a hair dryer ro blender. Wear decibel reducing muffs or plugs.

Do not wear in the ear pods for music. Reasons detailed in the EAR thread.

This will likely subside and it is likely due to the inflammation but, with lyme, the ears can take a real hit from all directions so there are many ways we have to protect them.

Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

The doctor said that it's just fluid in my ear because I am just getting over a cold he said my throat has post nasal drip and

my nose was inflamed so they are all related. He said the spray will just help the tubes drain but il wait til Monday and ask my LLMD I guess

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
There are other things you can do now for yourself to help that post nasal drip. A sea salt nasal spray - olive oil & garlic ear drops (Herb Pharm) - and taking magnesium will help.

Turmeric, Ginger, Garlic . . . Chinese Mustard or Wasabi (in tiny amounts with food and olive oil) . . . so many things that will help you tonight. Hope you feel better.

Still, the doctor you saw today does not have the full picture. I hope you can look over the EAR thread for things we should all know to help protect our ears & balance.
-

Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Ear popped can hear again haha what a waste guess I didn't need to buy that prescription. Hope it doesn't come back

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Chipster
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chipster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess that is one of the problems with Lyme. Stuff that is not all that serious can always be a Lyme sequelae. Bummer

Chipster

Posts: 44 | From Yes | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there itching in the ear? I got rid of that by putting 3% hydrogen peroxide in my ear. I refreshed the dose about every 5 minutes and kept it there for 15 minutes. It recently returned and I repeated so it is gone again.
Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement