LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » question for sauna users

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question for sauna users
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i got a new sauna and used it for the first time yesterday. It is a small portable one. I didn't like the smell, i hope that goes away soon.

I tried it out but didn't break a sweat. it is so cold here and i am so cold, hands and feet always freezing, that all it did was warm me up and feel good. I did not turn it up all the way and I should be able to sweat in it eventually( maybe warm up in a hot bath first).

Question is, does getting really warm without sweating do anything for lyme or do you have to sweat?

I feel icky today but didn't think sauna did enough to cause herx. Maybe the off gassing is causing problems for now?

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The smell is icky.

Mine bothered me the first few times as well.

Can you warm yours up a few times to "burn off" the manufacturing smell etc without being in it?

I preheat my sauna to 25 degrees C before I climb in.

I didn't sweat the first little while either.

You don't want to feel sick after you climb out of it.

Better to start low and go slow. The sweating will come.

Be sure you are hydrated as well during the day before you go in there.

You won't ever be able to get your body hot enough to "kill" lyme.

But you will help to move stagnant lymph around and open detox pathways.

A good sauna session will be:

Shower afterwards to wash off anything you have sweated out.

Drink pure coconut water or fresh pressed vegetable juice or filtered water with lemon.

You will feel more limber for up to an hour afterwards. Joints and muscles won't be so stiff.

You may feel more relaxed, maybe like going for a snooze.

OR...

You may even feel like getting some fresh air.

But it is important to never sauna to the point you feel out of breath, have a racing heart, feel the need to lay down, feel faint, feel sick, hear blood rushing in your ears or completely exhausted.

Hope this helps [Smile]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If you don't like the smell, you should not use it - for now.

Assuming it's petroleum, soft vinyl-like as it's portable. If it's a certain wood, I would have different thoughts. But, if soft petro product:

I would return it. Sorry. If it smells, it should not be in your home, anywhere.

Now, I don't want to rain on your parade . . . it's just that this could CAUSE multiple chemical sensitivities that could really clobber in so many ways. That needs to get out of your home. ASAP.

There are some options. It may be that if a friend who is not sensitive could take it for a while (but, IMO, those kind of off gas fumes are not good for anyone -- plastic products never stop off gasing even if you don't notice it as much, they never stop, especially if there is any vinyl).

Still, it could be that if aired out elsewhere, I'm guessing for at least a month, this may be workable for you.

I would return it, though. The chemicals you are detected can damage the endocrine system. Sorry. From what I've read and experienced with severe chemical illness, I think it's best to get rid of it. And I am sorry to say that, sorry that there is so much toxicity in the world, too. But just hate to see others get damaged by it when it can be avoided, to some degree.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a portable sauna too, but it's older and has already outgassed. It's wonderful - really helps me detox - yes, I think you should break a sweat, then shower off warm and cool a couple times.

You can also take a scoop or two daily of Takesumi activated charcoal - that's through ordering. Excellent for detoxing.

Here's an idea - what about getting an air purifier to help with the smell problem? I had one in the closet recently and when I stuck my head inside, no more smell in the closet.

I'm currently staying with a friend where we're using a marvelous one for smells - I think it's an Oasis air purifier - it's like a rectangle that stands up, with a diagonal cut at the top and lots of blue lights inside. I can check with her about the name.

Here's my suggestion - to keep the sauna in a closet with the air purifier running, and when you take it out to use it, have the air purifier running in your room while you use it.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Just noticed that (usually) your location is in a warmer climate . . . so your springtime should arrive in a month or two. By then, you'll have windows open more and that will help with the air exchange in the house.

If you keep this and use it now, try to "air flush" your home frequently.

If you can set it outside for a while, great, but don't let it freeze (I hear it is pretty cold in the south now) as it could damage it.

Still, if it's a certain kind of vinyl, even as a shower curtain, those are not good as each time they get warm, they off gas. A lot depends upon the chemistry of the "fabric" -- and if any chemicals have been added such as flame retardants, teflon, etc.

Petroleum such as vinyl products, chemicals that can be mixed in (flame retardants, softeners) are all hormone disruptors.
-

[ 01-25-2014, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I can't look for this now but there is a canvas kind of sauna and heat lamps outlined by a Laurence or Lawrence Wilson . . . maybe try a search with his name + sauna.

I will see if i can find that later and post his detail.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Here's a start, although as I recall, he has several different "articles" on this topic and one particularly on the canvas tent and how to make your own. Look around for all his site links.

http://drlwilson.com/articles/sauna_therapy.htm
-

Chipster
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chipster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they make saunas that are more high-end and are like little wooden houses you sit in.

No plywood or glues or particle board used.

You heat it up and run it empty for the first couple of times

Chipster

Posts: 44 | From Yes | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted that I felt a bit worse after using the sauna. Well. last night I started burping and throwing up and I am still gassy and vomiting. i think I may have food poisoning. I don't think it could be the sauna.

This sucks.....

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can't say Gigimac, as my son and I got to a gym and use the dry sauna.

But, up for more feedback-

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chipster
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chipster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2roads,

Are you concerned about picking up a bad MRSA type bug using a communal sauna where people sweat and who knows who cleans it?

Chipster

Posts: 44 | From Yes | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm concerned about sitting in other peoples residual toxins, as they can leave a pool of sweat, which eventually heats off and soaks into the wood. Possible airborne issues as well.

That part is pretty nasty.

Otherwise, I don't really think about infections. Perhaps I should.

We are taking a break from the sauna as of two weeks ago.

It seems everything has diminishing returns, or the possibility of damage.

I had no visible issues, but did some more research and became a bit concerned about his heart and reproductivity. His heart rate was 62 BPM, and the measurement before we started 4 months ago was 64 BPM, so I can't blame the lower rate on that...I don't think.

I did read where fertile men had a reduction in sperm and quality which took 6 months to rectify, after saunaing less then we were.

So, I thought it was time to take a chill. He is going into puberty in a year.

But, we like it. It has helped him and I in other ways. I wish we didn't have to take a break.

I wish there were things that could be done, other than nutrition, which would have a bigger and safe impact.

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chipster
Member # 43143

I think they make little saunas that you can sit in at home and you can buy portable ones that are about $500.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement