LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The Amish Way?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Amish Way?
alhambra42
Member # 43047

Icon 5 posted      Profile for alhambra42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i saw this on this facebook page about the amish way of testing for Lyme disease. is this a real thing? is it accurate? not sure this clinic does the amish way, but the commentor seemed sure of herself...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=785117534849413&set=a.500132623347907.126707.165174183510421&type=1&comment_id=108120131&reply_comment_id=108131626&offset=0&total_comments= 15

Posts: 9 | From Mesa | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
No. Sorry. As the page lands right here -- and looking up I see absolutely nothing about Amish --I assume you are referring to the two posts by

Cheryl Honeycutt-Ballmer - both are inaccurate. In her first one: "spirochetes are in the live blood" -- rarely is that the case. It can be, sometimes, of course but if they are not in the drop of blood that is captured, that cannot rule out lyme.

her second post there said they really smash the drop of blood really hards, smash the cells by the two pieces of glass, the slides. Not quite.

Still, I assume she is referring to a dark field microscope and some of those do have amazing magnification. Still, lyme is not necessarily possible to see, for various reasons.

Certainly not fool-proof when it comes to seeing lyme. If it can be seen, of course, it's there. But Lyme usually hides deep in the body, it's hard to capture in that little bit of blood for a dark field slide.

Find an ILADS educated doctor for the best assessment.

Coinfections also need to be considered. More detail below.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://publichealthalert.org/uploads/2013_6.pdf

Public Health Alert (PHA) is a newspaper committed to researching and investigating Lyme Disease and other chronic illnesses

Laboratory Tests and Diagnosis for Lyme Disease and Co-infections - June 2013

- by Armin Schwarzbach, M.D., Ph.D. - Five Pages

http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/lymeseroneg.html

Reasons for False Negative (Seronegative) Test Results in Lyme Disease

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

What is a LLMD? LL ND? What is ILADS?

WHY you need an ILADS "educated" or "minded" Lyme Literate doctor (whether MD or ND, or both) - starting with assessment / evaluation for lyme, OTHER tick-borne diseases, and other chronic stealth infections - and all that goes along for the ride.

Medical "models" explained here, as to differences in the ISDA & ILADS models of assessment & treatment - and exactly why it is so very important to know the differences.
-

[ 01-28-2014, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-
No. Sorry. As the page lands right here -- and looking up I see absolutely nothing about Amish --I assume you are referring to the two posts by

Cheryl Honeycutt-Ballmer - both are inaccurate.
-

-
Keebler.. What are you saying is "inaccurate?"

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
those two posts, which I assume are the ones referred to as that is where the link landed, I scanned up and down and found nothing else that seems to be related.

Never did find the reference to "the Amish way of testing" but Cheryl's posts twice referred to "its THEIR way . . ." and "THEY . . ." so I assume that's what we were to comment on?

But the type face used on Facebook is just horrid to try to read, so maybe it was in someone's else's post but my eyes just missed it.

If referring back up to the first post, the link there is not to an article but to an advertisement. Nothing there about "the Amish way of testing"

The ad is for Envita Center . . . not a place to go for accurate lyme testing or treatment. They have some good methods and support and I do like a lot of what they do there -- but not as "lyme literate" as we are led to be.

I would be interested in knowing more about what is said to be "the Amish way" (of lyme testing) -- but I could not find where that is detailed.

Overall, it still comes back to "find an ILADS educated lyme literate doctor" for the best advice and guidance. An ILADS educated lyme literate ND (naturopathic doctor) would likely know more about dark field microscopy and its advantages as well as limitations.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"The Amish way" (of testing for lyme) statement reminds me of a country doctor who worked with those in an Amish community.

A lot of the kids were very ill and it turns out that this particular country doctor figured it out.

The kids had been born with a liver deficiency that made them very ill. However, with very special BLUE LIGHTS to sleep under at night, this was corrected.

That article was sometime in the past 15 years or so and I'm sure it could be found with a search. I lost it when my old computer crashed.

I think it was in Ohio. I think National Geographic did a feature article on it, I remember the photos of the blue glow from farm house windows at night.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is what she posted:

"The Amish Way"

"It's their method of getting the spirochetes to come out of the cells they are hiding in. They mash the blood between two slides and then quickly put them under the microscope. The spirochetes become very active again and are easy to see."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
That statement is not accurate as it stands in such limited context.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

It's simply a definition of "The Amish Way."

(doesn't make much sense though)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
No where do I see "The Amish Way" --- can you point out where someone actually says that? My eyes must be missing it.

Sounds like dark field microscopy. If so, that is no particular "way" it just, yet while some benefits, still limitations regarding "seeing" lyme.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

It's in the first few comments...

Cheryl Honeycutt-Ballmer I was told by my FORMER Dr. that there was no way I had Lyme Disease and that he would know since he is on the county board of health. What an idiot. I had testing done the Amish way, and I did test positive. I saw the little buggers on the screen that are coursing thru my blood. All the little spirocets (sp) made me cringe.

Like · Reply · 2 · January 20 at 11:52am

Mickey Denault what is this . Would love to know
Like · January 24 at 11:51am
Cheryl Honeycutt-Ballmer The spirochetes are the live bacteria in the blood. Look like microscopic snakes.
Like · January 24 at 1:55pm
Pamela Snitily Please explain...What is the "Amish way"?

Like · January 25 at 12:52pm

Cheryl Honeycutt-Ballmer It's their method of getting the spirochetes to come out of the cells they are hiding in. They mash the blood between two slides and then quickly put them under the microscope. The spirochetes become very active again and are easy to see.

Like · January 25 at 2:00pm

[ 01-28-2014, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Thanks for finding that.

Oh, my . . . all the difference a different type face and some spacing makes. My eyes see it now. Oy, Vey. I don't know how anyone can read anything on some sights. Even if I enlarge the page, the type style and spacing are very hard to read. I miss serifs, they really can "ground" words. And I really miss the proper use of spacing where words are not put in invisible Spanx, with no breathing room.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. My statements about it still stand, though. Doesn't not sound like something I'd want to count on. And I do not think it's "The Amish way" or that there even is such a thing. Not sure where the poster got that idea. What she describes is misleading.
-

droid1226
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd treats the Amish for free. Even does IV and testing for them if they can't pay. Most the time they have cash but there is a large amount of Amish that have Lyme here in Ohio.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement