LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Malarone - Herx or Side Effect???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Malarone - Herx or Side Effect???
k84
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From those who have used Malarone in the past to treat Babs I would like their thoughts.

As of tonight, I have been on the 'normal' adult dose of Malarone for two weeks.

About 6 days in I started getting a sore throat and ended up sicker then a dog with flu-like symptoms. (don't know if herx or actually had the flu going around town)

After a couple days that moderated - but I three or four hours after taking my dose of Malarone I feel like an atomic bomb had gone off in me, super tired, fatigued, every other previous lyme symptom elevated, knees hurt so much, etc.

Its not getting better, it seems I'm just sliding downhill with each dose of Malarone.

Today was horrible (and this is said by somebody who has tolerated 2,000mg of flagyl a day in the past).

I would appreciate thoughts from you Malarone users out there if this is a herx or a side-effect of the medicine.

If you believe it is a herx, how long did it last feeling like death before feeling better?

(I currently am also on heavy dose ceftin, flagyl, and roxithromythin)

Posts: 106 | From Rural Michigan | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Malarone has always been easy for me (been on it a long time). My progress on it has been slow but steady and worth doing. Also, I've never herxed on this med, but then I'm not on abx.

Maybe your abx are the culprit, along with malarone (the whole combination). It sounds like you are on too much for your body. Ceftin alone is a powerful med (I couldn't handle it). And the combo of ceftin and malarone could be doing it to you.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out drug digest online to see if all these meds are compatible. Sounds like you are taking too much at one time.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k84
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I should clarify, prior to starting Malarone two weeks ago I was making great strides - the combo of ceftin/flagyl/roxy brought me to a new level of being feeling good and stable for months I haven't seen since being sick.

I tested positive for Babesia Duncani from Ignex. It's always been that simmering pot on the back burner that just wont go away. Previous to this, my babesia treatment had consisted of clindy and quinine.

I never had Mepron or Malrone family type drugs in the past. That is why I am considering it possibly being the herx from hell.

Sorry for errors or spelling, I dont feel good tonight at all.

Posts: 106 | From Rural Michigan | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still not clear on what meds you are on.

I would probably back down on the dose of malarone for a few days and see if that helps.

I have no doubt that the malarone could cause a herx, but it depends a lot on what other babs meds it is combined with as to how effective it will be longterm.

And since malarone is a combo of 2 meds I think it is possible it could be working on both bloodborne parasites such as babesia and also on other G.I. parasites.

If you have not taken other antiparasitic meds in the past you might want to consider that angle. Malarone plus ivermectin might be something to consider in the near future for example.

This is not medical advice, just my opinion based on hubby's experiences.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
k84,

I know that Malarone was probably the only drug doc j had to take my son off of due to elevated liver enzymes.

You r also on a lot of other things which tax the liver.

I would definitely accompany them with blood work.

Mepron was better for him all the way around. you might want to go that route if things don't improve.

Not sure about it being a herx, just some other thoughts.

Be well,

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I herxed exactly like that on Mepron plus abx. I treated for B. microti right from the start. It took a year to get it into remission.

The herxing was that intense for most of the year, but my pathogen load was very high. I'd been misdiagnosed for 15 years.

I relapsed with Babs' symptoms after 18 months of treating for Lyme and Bart. I have now been back on Babs' meds, including Malarone, for several years. The herxing is not nearly as bad, but I cannot get back into remission.

Mepron and Malarone have been good Babs' meds for me. I also tolerate high doses of abx, Flagyl, etc.

You may want to reduce your dose if the herxing is intolerable. But plan to continue treatment until you are symptom-free and no longer herx on meds. Then continue treatment with herbs or Rife or something. Relapse is absurdly common with Babs, and it can be difficult to get back to remission.

Sorry you are miserable. It won't always be like this.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be a herx - I worked up to a full dose in about two weeks and about 10 days in to the full dose I had the herx from He##.

I was so sick I had to go off for a day and then went much slower. Still herxed but it was more tolerable.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During my first round of Mepron weeks 4 thru 9 were pure hell, then gradual improvements started.

Agree will above, take a few days off or reduce dose and detox a bit.

hang in there. At least you had a positive lab test.

gmb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement