LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ear issues from antibox

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ear issues from antibox
lucy1336
Member # 41272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy1336     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read some of you mentioned ear issues but never were really too specific

Iam talking many antib's so not sure if or which one maybe to blame

Been on ceftin 4-5 months I don't think it's that

I was on zitho only a month and have been off several days discomfort has increased so thinking not zitho since off if

Only been on mino 3 days at only 100mg so thinking not that

So leaves rifampin which have been on 2 months. .?

I also have tmj and have jaw ear popping pressure in the past

I am trying to determine if this is a antib effect or not

I would describe as pain ( not severe but very apparent ) & pressure popping in ears

I finally have Meds I can tolerate and would be upset to have to stop one ughhhh

Posts: 61 | From DE/PA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Minocycline can certainly be connected, even after just an hour or so of taking it. A lot of folks find it "upsets" their ears in various ways. Several posts below specifically discuss minocycline.

Unfortunately, (as is the case with many other antibiotics), minocycline is toxic to the ears -- and that is why liver support - and B-6 is ever so much more important when taking it. Magnesium & Ginger capsules, too.

TMJ - MAGNESIUM is essential. TMJ posts in this set below.

Some other explanations, important detail to protect hearing when on ototoxic Rx - and what can HELP:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy1336
Member # 41272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy1336     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toxic to ears. ..... That makes me want to stop taking ????
Posts: 61 | From DE/PA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Well, as understandable that is, it's not that simple. Sorry. Lyme is also toxic to ears. The links set explains how to mitigate the matter as best possible - and a range of choices around that.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took minocycline with no problem. But zithromax contributed to further hearing loss and worsening tinnitus for me. It is different for everyone.

You have to pay attention to your body and if you notice an increase in tinnitus or hearing loss, talk to your LLMD and see if there is something you can substitute.

Lots of time, these problems reverse when you get off the ABX that has triggered the problem. Unfortunately, for me, the hearing damage that zithromax contributed to never got better.

Be very careful to protect your ears while you are on antibiotics. The combination of loud noise and ototoxic antibiotics is deadly. Wear ear muffs when exposed to loud noises and as Keebler says, take plenty of magnesium.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The links set above has some very important detail for you so do be sure to go through that. Just pulling out a couple points at the top of the priority list:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM LINKS sets (for TMJ, ears & liver)

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

Liver support is required for ear support. Required.

dbpei is so good to caution about noise. And that means even hairdryer, blender, vacuum, etc. Avoid concerts (other than small venues of mostly acoustical instruments or minimum amplification) and

avoid ALL sporting events that use any buzzers or amplification - or even have crowd cheering. Do not shout yourself.

AVOID IN-THE-EAR "BUDS" and even music headphones. The reason is explained in the ear links previously posted.
-

lucy1336
Member # 41272

I think I'm just having a over antibx day. Stopped getting period, ears hurt. My body is telling me it doesn't want this

I have had symptoms so long I don't even think it's worth the side effects of these antib

I tried to read those links I just need it dumbed down [Frown]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler.. Do you have that link about MSG causing ear popping and TMJ?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I'll see if I can find that - but so tired now - later. Pretty sure that was added to the excitotoxin links set -- and that is part of the liver support set.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yep, that's where it was and it might have taken a while to find it. So, bringing that up:

LymeToo just posted this the other day:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/33389

Discussion thread (including information about glutamine / glutamic acid) about this article:

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/msg-proven-highly-toxic-1-dose-causes-headache-healthy-subjects

MSG's Surprising Side-Effects -- with just one "serving"
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Lucy,

To set it straight, I understand that you would rather just back away from all this. But that is not an option.

You say: " . . . have had symptoms so long I don't even think it's worth the side effects of these antib . . . ." (end quote)

Sadly, it's not that simple - wish we all could, though as it's not a walk in the park at all for anyone.

Lyme needs to be addressed assertively. Now, there are various ways to do that but it must be under ILADS "guidance" so to speak so that, whatever method, the science of lyme is "honored" -- and you have protection methods in place.

This can get better, really.

And, there will be times to step back a bit, for just a moment.

But giving up is not on the menu because lyme, itself is not going to just disappear. Other options are on the menu, however. It will take some time for it to all settle in place and then it will be time for something else to be adjusted.

Basic principles:

PROTECT & SUPPORT your body (ears, liver - nutrition)

DIRECTLY ADDRESS infection(s) with an ILADS educated LLMD or LL ND's guidance as best you can obtain.

The ear thread has LOTS of other avenues to consider (rife machine, etc.) for those who have difficulties with Rx treatment.

As you figure out the next step, remember the next step is to usually rest, then eat . . . and breathe and laugh as often as possible.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Are you gluten-free and dairy-free? If not, there is good news because both of those can cause some of the pain issues you describe to ears, too. Avoiding them can be a very nice relief.

If you are GF and DF, something might be getting slipped in by mistake. Be sure to recheck labels and don't necessarily believe all labels if you get symptoms from a certain food. Best to avoid any food that even requires a label, though.

Hope you feel better soon. Rest and take care.
-

lucy1336
Member # 41272

As soon as I take Meds ears flare. It's like clockwork

No doubt it's the antibiotics ... I think it's just antib over load

I can't risk this causing permit hearing issues

I left v/m for my dr but what can he say it's up to me

I can't afford rife

I think I'm out of options unless i go all natural treatment

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
What is your liver support?

What kind and how much magnesium are you taking? How many times a day?

No need to reply, these are just the questions that, when reviewed, often can help a herxheimer reaction.

Someone in a lyme support group near you might just have a rife machine -- you never know what kinds of options might come from asking around.

You mention wanting to go "natural" -- see essential resource links posted here by someone looking for a LL ND:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/24149
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lucy1336:

As soon as I take Meds ears flare. It's like clockwork

No doubt it's the antibiotics ... I think it's just antib over load

I can't risk this causing permit hearing issues

I left v/m for my dr but what can he say it's up to me

I can't afford rife

I think I'm out of options unless i go all natural treatment

-
I agree. You don't want permanent damage. Try herbal. You can get a very good quality Rife machine for about $500. Well worth it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As you sort out your options, you might consider:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE – LINKS SET
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Keeb.. I felt badly that you went looking for my link. I really was just asking for your set of links and couldn't remember the title of that set. I knew it contained the one I had just posted.

Thanks!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Well, it worked out okay. I had forgotten where it was so finding it helped me remember that it's in excitotoxin set with other MSG notes.
-

lucy1336
Member # 41272

So my llmd called me back this morning

He said hearing loss hearing issues certainly can be related to antibo but he felt pain pressure popping ( which I am having ) is different.

Maybe herx ( I have tmj) or something else .....

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is that lyme and co. has really messed with my ears. That seems to be my most vulnerable spot... It's hard because the antibiotics might help to reverse some of those symptoms, but they can also worsen them as a side effect.

There are many people whose hearing, tinnitus, and ear pain symptoms improved once they got on the right path of treatment. I am still trying to find my way. [Frown]

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should get it checked. Could simply be an ear infection. I had vertigo, and what I thought was swollen glands under my ears and it turned out to be a double ear infection. I never had ear infections as a kid... So didn't know the symptoms. Apparently most adults don't experience the sharp pain kids do. A course of Bactrim cleared it up... But my ears have been more sensitive since.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement