LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme and Cancer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme and Cancer
maps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A second lump has been found in the same breast. I have already had a lumpectemy and will be having a biopsy on the second lump next week.

I found out the rule of thumb is that two lumps in the same breast and they do a mastectomy which i have declined as i am 68 and with the lyme i just dont think my body could take it.

I have finally been given something for the nerve pain (pregabalin)which for some reason has stopped the sweats and stopped from being ice cold plus it has helped amazingly with the nerve pain but of course then thier are the side effects.

I have not been treating my lyme since last spring as i had antibiotic induced hepatitas or so they say.

I did purchase samento just before the cancer stuff but have not used it.

I have to do something about the lyme so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as i no longer know if i am going or coming. thanks

--------------------
1999 CFS, 2002 CMV Myco pneumonia
1 year antibiotics on and off
2002 EBV, 2009 Positive Igenex Borellia and Babesia, Brain mri severe white matter disease
Monoclonal Gammopathy. On and off antibiotics since sept. March 9 started iv antibiotics

Posts: 328 | From somewhereelse | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You gotta do what you think is best but a few things to think about are

there is some thought that biopsies an mamms and the way they xray your breast a bunch of times before a lumpectomy can spread cancer cells

My lump was very small but very deep and there was so much cutting the oncologist told me a mastectomy would have been easier

I havent had a mastectomy so i dont know for sure but if i get anything coming back i plan to have a mastectomy...on the cancer boards there are all kinds of stories of ppl having one lumpectomy after another...the more i read the more i just want to be done with it

There are a few others on here going thru this so if you search lyme and cancer or just cancer maybe you can pm with some or maybe they will find you

There is at least one other who has had multiple lumpectomys

If the lumps are close to the surface it would be a totally different experience to what i went thru

Im 64. Good luck. Prsyers.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry i cant fix that typo

Also my lyme is not real active right now, altho i do have a lot of severe osteo arthritis and two head injuries

Its so individual...i hope others come along to help

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maps--did you have a biopsy on the first lump in that breast?

I have had 4 lumpectomies on the same breast, but spread out since 1996. None of the lumps were cancerous.

So, I guess you would have to a diagnosis of cancer before you consider a mastectomy.

I understand the young living essential oil--frankincense--helps with cancerous lumps.

As far as Lyme goes I treated it with infrared photon therapy and the help of an energy healer and am much better.

I could not handle antibiotics and they did not help me.

Blessings.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are also other essential oils that can be used for the Lyme.

Blessings, maps! [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you all so much, its funny i am not that worried about the cancer, maybe i should be [bonk]

Lyme is my scarey disease and the fact that it is hard for my brain to absorb information makes it even harder to understand treatments.

My nerve pain has become so bad i have to do something, I was thinking of taking the samento on its own so is anyone else doing this. I am not taking any supplements right now either

My body no longer seems to accept much so can anyone help me with all of this. I know i seem good but i am just floating along in my own little bubble and would love reminders of what i should be doing [confused]

--------------------
2002 EBV, 2009 Positive Igenex Borellia and Babesia, Brain mri severe white matter disease
Monoclonal Gammopathy. On and off antibiotics since sept. March 9 started iv antibiotics

Posts: 328 | From somewhereelse | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug]
Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear you are going through this. Hoping the biopsy goes well for you.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer (found on a mammogram, which saved my life) while 3 years into then undiagnosed and untreated Lyme disease. I was very sick and in a weakened state (hmmm, maybe that had something to do with why I got the breast cancer to begin with).

At the same time, working with the traditional doctors and a naturopathic doctor who specialized in cancer treatment, I pulled through the lumpectomy, 8 weeks of radiation therapy, and 5 years of tamoxifen. I just offer my story as encouragement for you.

It was two years after my bc diagnosis, I finally got the Lyme diagnosis, and began treating for that.

I’m not sure what your health issues are, but, can you get a second opinion on options other than mastectomy?

Also wondering what happened with your Lyme treatment that caused you to stop.

Best wishes for your health.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I have some input. I am not sure who your lyme doctor is. Years ago they thought I had breast cancer and I'm kind of young. They gave me Zithromax and Bactrim. (before lyme journey)

Then years later, when I had pretty bad lyme I started getting lumps in my breast. Feverish, etc. I told my LLMD my old cancer scare story. My doctor was a top LLMD didn't hesitate changed me to Zithromax and bactim with a German injectable she said it was to clear the clogged lymph nodes. They showed me how to inject myself there. She said Zithromax and Bactrim both fight intra-cellular infection.
Supporting/detoxing while on Zithromax and bactrim
Juicing
VSL #3
B-complex
fish oil

I am not a doctor but to me it seems like you have clogged lymph nodes and infection probably also affecting the nerves in the breast. You should be doing Pekana itires to clear the lymph nodes. You might want to get a second opinion with a LLMD that is top notch.

Posts: 697 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maps, I too had antibiotic induced hepatitis. Minocycline, doxycycline and rifampin are the most known lyme drugs to cause this. You could try other antibiotics and monitor your liver enzymes closely. Take lots of mild thistle.

I too use photons for lyme with much success.

Blessings

Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Do those of you who were dx with breast cancer think it is possible for a biopsy and pathology report from a lump that says it is cancer to be wrong?

--------------------

maps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19758

I believe everything has a measure of error but i guess it would be difficult not to treat if it says cancer.

I was going to washington for treatment three years the last time was last spring they did not understand why i was not getting better. I know i had the cancer lump for years but only just found out. I noticed the lump around the same time as i was diagnosed with lyme 2010.

And by the way I was told that it was just remaining breast muscle dah

I had the second biopsy yesterday and have an appointment in two weeks to see surgeon and then of course probably another two weeks or so before surgery. This has been going on since beginning of november and it is incredibly draining. And no I have decided no mastectomy since i have had the lump so long and it has not spread all over my body I am willing to take my chances

For anyone interested i was taking pregabalin for the pain and at first it was truly amazing no sweats sleeping through the night but then came the side effects which were pretty bad so had to stop.

I need to keep treatment simple as my brain seems to have gone missing I purchased the samento so was wondering if just this alone would help for now.

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Im confused about if your biopsy was positive and for what...there are so many kinds

Also did you have sentinol node checked? Is there another way to know if cancer has spread?

I dont want to add to your stress...i remember when i was going thru it

Do you have a support system close by ... it is all so complicated

--------------------

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like I am joining the group of lyme people with cancer. I had my lumpectomy 2 weeks ago and much to the surprise of surgeon and pathologist the lump contained cancer cells.

I am really happy that I didn't go for the monitor option that the surgeon offered or the biopsy option that the radiologist people wanted to do.

Sentinel node removal is in 2.5 weeks. What a pain. Just when I thought I was getting my life back from lyme.

My endo/gyn emailed me with supplements related to breast cancer to help the immune system. He also said that the supplements would also help with chronic lyme.

He wants to

"augment the treatments with some natural anticancer supplements that should be synergistic with the radiation and healing plus some anticancer effects on any residual cancer cells that escaped the lumpectomy. He attached a few articles on the specific supplements; Resveratrol, curcumin and Green Tea extract (EGCG) and Mushroom extract that boost the immune system to increases Natural Killer Cells that attack cancer cells and are good for chronic infections - contains 1,3 betaglucan as an active ingredient."

Links to the papers below:

Resveratrol, curcumin paper:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23959397#

Green tea extract paper

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18797454

I think this is the mushroom paper

http://www.benthamscience.com/open/toglyj/articles/V003/1TOGLYJ.pdf

He likes Pure Encapsulations
ResCu-SR 60
Teavigo
M/R/S Mushroom Formula

I am passing this info along in case anyone is interested.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19758

Hi Ipkayak: I have the most common form of breast cancer, cant remember, i had three sentinol nodes removed and they were clear.

Yes it is complicated and the continuous waiting is mind numbing, i see my gp tomorrow hopefully he can tell me if the second lump is cancer

Right now I am only interested in finding a lyme treatment i can handle the bandoral and samento seems to be a good start.

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

terv-sorry you are joining the club but i think it is great your doc is reccommending supps...my regular doc yrs ago said polycosanol should help prevent breast cancer and i didnt get cancer when i was on it-but after awhile i did stop it and years later had the cancer

i wonder if any one else uses policosanol for cancer

is anyone concerned that mushrooms could lead to candida? i love to eat them but they are one of the top 7 foods to avoid to prevent yeast

maps-well you are in good shape knowing it didnt get to the nodes

and if it isnt called aggressive it will probably be slow growing and not a problem for you

good luck with lyme tx

it doesnt sound like you have llmd tho-and usually abx are best in the beginning...i dont know about the abx induced hepatitis...but maybe like others said on here changing the abx will work

there are a few protocols you can get in book or online

one is buhner another zhang

i know how hard it can be with foggy brain and treating yourself can be extra hard. i wish you could work with an llmd at least at first-i worked with a few-some of the best and later maintained with buhner...

i will try to come back with links for them

and i will pm you also-if you dont get my pm please let me know here

buhner:
http://buhnerhealinglyme.com/

zhang:
Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine
An alternative treatment strategy developed by Zhang Clinic has been published by Dr. Qingcai Zhang

"This is a comprehensive book on the cause and treatment of Lyme disease using modern Chinese medicine, which I have found to be a better option than Western medicine for this difficult infection. Lyme disease is becoming more frequent in many parts of the world, is frequently misdiagnosed, and often resists treatment with antibiotics alone. Here is a new and hopeful way of looking at the disease and its management."
Dr. Andrew Weil, Harvard Medical School graduate and a leading figure in the field of alternative medicines

"From what I have read to date, the authors have done an outstanding job with combining traditional Chinese medicine and Western medicine together."
Scott Mulliken, N.D.

From her own experiences, Dr. Virginia Sherr, M.D. wrote:
"Tell your colleagues that Chinese medicine might be one way to help enhance the clinical outcomes of Lyme treatment."

This book is available at:
HepaPro Corporation (888) 788 4372
amazon.com
http://www.DrWeil.Com

--------------------

Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am starting the banderol and samento, and the first couple of days I felt some head pressure and generally not as well, but now I am feeling better, and calmer.

However my symptoms are not extreme and after testing for a day first, I went right to 10 drops and then 20drops a day (which is almost the max of 30).

They suggest starting with just a drop or two and adding a drop every couple of days.

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Mlg, you really need lymph drainage. You could also try burbur (Cowden). It works well with samento. I would also add banderol.

Also, there is a good book called, Crazy Sexy Diet (Carr) loaded with good info.

http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Sexy-Diet-Veggies-Ignite/dp/0762777931/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0TTTJ9PEV5BJEKKJ7K20

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks terv for the research links!
Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19758

A belated thanks to everyone so sorry but have and still am in some kind of weird place just cant get sorted.

I have banderol and samento need to get burbur.

The second lump was cancer and was removed. In the next scan instead of two small spots seen on the first scan thier were thirty, have just received reults from lung specialist that first sputum sample showed signs of a bacterial infection.

It is called micobacterium avium and to my disbelief they cant treat it.

I have to admit that i have been suffering such a deep depression and disbelief two things that cant be treated how is that possible.

I have someone coming to help me sort out the supplemnet on thursday and then i will start the samento and company and perhaps that will get me refocused.

Thank you everyone for all the help it has enabled me to set a path for myself

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Maps i am going thru complucated stuff too. I have found when i am on correct combo of supps etc i am like a different person. Memory works. Speech better etc. Butwhen i am at my worst i cant figure iut how to get better again. Often i will run out of one or two really important supps and forget and keep going down until i somehow figure it out

I have closed head injury on top of infections

So i just want to encourage you to use a friend or helper who is not foggy to get you organized and then maybe check up on you too without you having to call them-if your like me you might not know you are forgetting something for a long tume

Taje care

--------------------

poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maps, have you researched the Mycobacterium avium? Looks like it is treatable, at least some forms of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycobacterium_avium-intracellulare_infection

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi maps,

It's good to see you here.

Sorry you are still struggling.

Did the Dr elaborate on why he says the infection is untreatable? or could it just be very difficult to treat?

Here is some info on Mycobacterium avium:

http://www.naturalnews.com/029968_showerheads_bacteria.html

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/222664-treatment

http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/full/10.1164/rccm.201208-1478ED#.U87k5EBpeSo

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24948577

Saying a prayer for you. Take care!

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google: Tamoxifen EPA.

BTW...the WAYS Tamoxifen works are numerous and one of the ways is it is a PKC inhibitor.

Bb is PKC dependent.

Find the Pub med abstract that indicates these 2 (Tamoxifen and EPA) work

in synergy.

EPA = Omegabrite (internet). Powerful anti-inflammatory (DHA is structural, EPA is functional...Dr. Stoll, Harvard. Small amt. of Vitamin E added so they aren't "oxidized".

God Bless. You CAN and WILL recover!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, my hormone doctor put me on a low dose of Cialis along with ECGC (from green tea).

Apparently when taken together, they have great cancer killing properties. If you our exploring supplements with your doctor, you might want to print the following paper out for him/her.

He also sent me 9 pages of abstracts that show the great benefits of Vardenafil (Cialis) in cardiovascular disease and the brain (something I really need).

Here is the cancer paper and abstract:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3561824/

J Clin Invest. 2013 Feb 1;123(2):787-99.
67-kDa laminin receptor increases cGMP to induce cancer-selective apoptosis.
Abstract
The 67-kDa laminin receptor (67LR) is a laminin-binding protein overexpressed in various types of cancer, including bile duct carcinoma, colorectal carcinoma, cervical cancer, and breast carcinoma. 67LR plays a vital role in growth and metastasis of tumor cells and resistance to chemotherapy. Here, we show that 67LR functions as a cancer-specific death receptor. Furthermore, upregulation of cGMP was a rate-determining process of 67LR-dependent cell death induced by the green tea polyphenol (-)-epigallocatechin-3-O-gallate (EGCG), a natural ligand of 67LR. We found that phosphodiesterase 5 (PDE5), a negative regulator of cGMP, was abnormally expressed in multiple cancers and attenuated 67LR-mediated cell death. Vardenafil, a PDE5 inhibitor that is used to treat erectile dysfunction, significantly potentiated the EGCG-activated 67LR-dependent apoptosis without affecting normal cells and prolonged the survival time in a mouse xenograft model. These results suggest that PDE5 inhibitors could be used to elevate cGMP levels to induce 67LR-mediated, cancer-specific cell death

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19758

Thank you for all this information, Terv i will look into that.

Hi dekrator45 i did not know you were on here i hope you are doing well. Yes they they told me it would take 18 months of a variety of antibiotics with no guarantee of a cure and they feel taking that much antibiotic is too dangerous grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. the lung specialist was very anti lyme and i think he feels it would be like treating lyme.

I go for another ct scan of chest/abdomen on the thirty first as my blood test still says tumour so we will see how many of the avium are there this time.

I was being treated in washington but all the money is gone now so it is self treatment from now on

--------------------

SickSci
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just ran across this paper and thought of your mycobacterium avium...

http://aac.asm.org/content/57/2/1040.full

"Here we report that members of the family, ivermectin, selamectin, and moxidectin, are bactericidal against mycobacterial species, ..."

--------------------
-------------
- Working Dx: Protozoa x3, Bartonella
- Tx: Biaxin, Mycobutin, Ivermectin, boluoke, serapeptase, allimed, silver ACS 200 spray, Mg, Iodoral, fish oil, Vit's B, C, D, NAC, etc

Posts: 121 | From Nc | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement