LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » has anyone had lyme related problems with tooth extraction?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: has anyone had lyme related problems with tooth extraction?
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know why im feeling so scared-im feeling so sfraid

Ive only had one tooth taken out...except for my wisdom teeth and. Both were done by excellent dentists

I had 2 dentists for most of my life...the last extraction was by very experienced biol dentist

The place i am going is one of those chains at a shopping center

The have been th er e awhile but it feels like an assembly line

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LP-I think desertwind has a tooth extraction coming up too.

Must be lyme tooth time.

I had 3 wisdom teeth out. One was a bad one. It was sideways, with root into a good molar.

It was before I was on lyme treatment, but when I had lyme.

It didn't flare any lyme symptoms.

And I didn't get dry socket.

I didn't take the T3 they offered though.

Do you have someone to go with you? Just for moral support?
[group hug]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking the keflek now LP?

Do they have a symptom sheet to give you to have handy for you to check in case of warning signs etc?

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, mine is coming out on Monday but I am very confident in my oral surgeon so that helps ease the fear but I am still very nervous.

Are yours infected? Painful? Will you be getting sedation?

I am more nervous about this then some other major surgeries I have had....weird right?

I had one extraction about 5 years ago. Had Lyme but was not treating. All went well from extraction to implant to crown. To date that implant area feels fine.

Is there a reason not to trust this particular dentist? Should you consider going to a biological dentist again?

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ty

I have no money for biol dentist and the one i had is in motreal too far away

Im pretty scared-i was in doc office for knees yesterday a long time-many sick patients...maybe flu...i couldnt tolerate smells and my mcs has not been a problem recently

We are not absolutely sure my knee replacement is not infected-knee doc is excallent and knows me a long time but cant say for sure it is not infected-i think its a big deal to figure that out

He says it doesnt"look" infected

I ha ve 2000 mg keflex to take 1 hr before

I feel awful now-not sure if it is nerves or flu

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this extraction a must do now sort of situation? If you feel you might be coming down w/ something you should let your dentist know as they might not want you to have it done till you feel better?

Speaking of MCS......I am having my kitchen painted w/ VOC free paint, yet am laying upstairs in my bedroom eyed burning and skin tingling.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

I postponed it a week. I dont know if im suck but im really scared

--------------------

glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a dental school near you? I had several extractions at one time and I went to a dental school.

They were wonderful and I had several top ranking prof dentists overseeing everything. The oral surgeon did the major part of the extractions.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Sounds like a good plan.......I postponed my last week too. Just felt uncertain.
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't emphasize enough the need for a highly qualified oral surgeon. I went through a horrendous experience last year. I nneded an extraction done and instead of going to the highly regarded oral surgery group I have used in the past I went to a group the supposedly specializes in holistic dentistry.

Long story short the dentist could not get the tooth out. I was in the chair for hours while he attempted. He kept giving me more and more novocaine but it got to the point that it stopped working. I was in tears and felt alot of the procedure.

To make matters worse I had driven myself as I have had teeth extracted before elsewhere and was fine. The place was a good hour and a half from home and I was in agony. He gave me pain medicine and instructed me to definitely fill it as he knew based on the procedure I was going to need it.

I lost several days from work and then developed a dry socket. I ended up going to my regular oral surgery group for treatment. The dentist was horrified when he heard how the extraction went and also emphasized the need to go to a qualified oral surgeon for extractions.

Personally if at all possible I would not have an extraction done at a strip mall practice. Ask friends/relatives for recommendations. Be sure who ever you use is an actual oral surgeon, not a general dentist.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Ellen; What a horrendous nightmare! OMG! So sorry to hear you had to go through something like that.

My guy is a wonderful oral surgeon who is well known and respected in my area. Very $$$$$ but I refuse to let anyone take a tooth out that is not an oral surgeon or periodontist. He did a 3D Cone CAT Scan so he can see where all my nerves run and bone level etc.....

Thanks for sharing your story. DW

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I don't know what I'm going to do but I'm glad I waited

--------------------

Bitten in Bergen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bitten in Bergen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please check out dental cavitations - if you have ever had a root canal, chances are highly likely that there is infected bone around the dead tooth. It happened to me and I didn't realize it.

My llmd suggested that I see a biological dentist and I'm glad I did. He had a cavitat ultrasound machine that identified the necrosis in the jawbone next to the root canal tooth.

I had the root canal tooth extracted last week along with the necrotic jawbone. So glad I did - I am already feeling much much better, including less fatigue which we had been attributing to insufficiently treated babesia.

But beware - the release of toxins during the extraction caused a herxheimer to end all herxheimers.

Posts: 348 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

yes-i had a friend go thru multiple procedures like you had-he did not respond to lyme therapy before the dental work but did respond after

a biol dentits took out my only root canal and i did not have problems in the bone

i am nervous about what i need done now...i cant get to or afford biol dentist

the one i used used charcoal-i guess i can do that and others have said chorella

im just so scared...being alone...without llmd close

i still have to decide...that dentist didnt say a thing to me about stopping ibu or aspirin or ginko or fishoil...other docs made me stop them before surgery

i think they take out other metals in office and dont think they have negative air

im sick with a virus now...will have to decide what to do before wed...but we migh have big storm so i can postpone again...

i appreciate replys to this thread

--------------------

desertwind
Member # 25256

I had my extraction yesterday. Not a happy camper right now but glad to have gotten that cracked root canaled tooth out of my jaw!

Did iv sedation so I was out. Pain managed w/ some meds and on clindamycin for now. Did bone grafting and will let heal before I get an implant and crown.

Not sure if I will get a Lynne flare but so far just really sore and a bit of swelling at the extraction site.

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is a 3d cone cat scan for one tooth?

I too had a horrendous experience with a holistic dentist extracting a tooth. She fractured the whole socket. I was in agony for many months, splinters came out through my gum, I needed a second surgery to repair and smooth the fractured bone, and I was on amoxicillin off and on for months.

I will only go to a good oral surgeon now. Never again to a dentist for tooth extraction.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Oxygen; What a horrible experience you went through! Seems like a lot of general dentists are jack of all dental trades these days and it is the consumer who suffers in some cases.

The 3D Cone scan is basically a CT Scan. My surgeon made sure to take a CT scan image of my teeth and jaw before surgery. Allowed him to see things/anatomy that a traditional x-ray cannot show such as hidden roots, infections, health of jaw/bones ect. He could see exactly where my roots ended, if there was a left over infection from the previous root canal and also where my nerves lie in relationship to the apex of my tooth. This allowed him to better treatment plan the procedure and need for bone grafting or not. Also provided him w/ info on length of implant best for my anatomy. Leaves out the guess work.

If you Google 3D Cone Scan you can find info on it as it applies to dentistry.

I agree, I would never have a general dentist do oral surgery on me - ever. Made that mistake once and it was an utter disaster.

Two days post extraction and still in a lot of pain. Took 2 hours to complete...On clindamycin and hoping no Lyme flare or complications.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

But a simple extraction is not surgery right?

--------------------

Bitten in Bergen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bitten in Bergen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, anything where there is cutting and/or suturing is technically surgery...IMHO...but I am not a medical professional.
Posts: 348 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Mine was a surgical extraction. Perhaps some extractions are not surgical? Oral surgeons specialize in extractions so, as a profession, they consider it surgical.
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Two dentists told me they would do it in the office with novacaine so that wouldnt be surgical i hope

I had a root canal tooth taken out once and had to keep quiet and not eat much for a few days-i hope mine will be like that

I switched from strip mall dentist to a well recommended one-they are a large practice and have an oral surgeon but didnt say anything about me using him

--------------------

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it depends on the situation.

My Mom had to have an upper tooth out that had a root very close to the sinus cavity behind the cheek bone. She chose to have the tooth taken out by a surgeon instead of a regular dentist, and is glad she did.

On the other hand, I had a lower tooth pulled out by a general dentist who "loves to pull teeth, and is good at it."

I think the tooth pulling itself was fine (though I did get infected probably because of my lousy immune system), but my gut crashed (Gastroparesis flare) a couple months after and I can't discount the possibility that the tooth extraction had something to do with that...

I don't know that my going to a surgeon would have changed the outcome...the pulled tooth area is fine now, it's just the rest of me that's not...(still in the severe Gastroparesis flare almost a year later)...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bitten in Bergen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34067

That's why my llmd had me go to a biological dentist that had a scanner to check for cavitations. If you just remove the tooth but not the infected bone, you will still be sick.
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not able to read what others wrote...but looking back wondering if it was the dental work that might have been some of the cause of the strange symptoms I started having.

I had caps from when I was 10 or 12 est on my front teeth. The dentist said Iit was temporary and I should get new caps when I was a certain age.

I went years without getting the new caps.

Finally had the funds to get them replaced..they had something the color of silver on the back of the old camps

....shortly after I had the dnetal work I would recall walking down the street....window shopping ...and having to go home as I felt so weird

Related?? I don't know. The weirdness has not left and it has been years now.

health only got worse.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will look up 3d cone scan--thanks. Catscans have a lot of radiation, I hope it's not like a whole catscan. It seems a good idea. I genetically have strong long tooth roots.

Re: cavitations, I think the body heals itself. I really think that most of the time, cavitations are a way for holistic dentists to make beacoup bucks on something not proven to exist. Yes occasionally people really do have cavitations and rotting soft bone, but most of the time, I don't think so. Cleaning out the extraction site well should take care of infection. Just my two cents. YMMV.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

I would like to get an implant on the molar I need to extract (because I don't tolerate root canals at all! make me totally SICK). But I'm a little scared because it would have to be titanium and I've read that it constantly releases ions, and you can develop antibodies to it and it can make you ill, too. Seems safer than a root canal, though.
Bitten in Bergen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34067

From what I've read, the cavitat uses ultrasound.

Also, I've read that cavitations cannot heal themselves because by their very nature, the bone is not a vascular area.

Check out the Weston Price Foundation website.

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Bone remodels, recedes, and the body seals it off. Certainly if you had an abscess or infection into the bone itself, and didn't clean that out, you'd have a problem. But when you pull a tooth it bleeds for quite a while, and the blood cleanses the site. I really think they're oversold by holistic dentists to make a buck, IMHO.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desertwind:
Mine was a surgical extraction. Perhaps some extractions are not surgical? Oral surgeons specialize in extractions so, as a profession, they consider it surgical.

-
Correct

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oxygenbabe:
Bone remodels, recedes, and the body seals it off. Certainly if you had an abscess or infection into the bone itself, and didn't clean that out, you'd have a problem. But when you pull a tooth it bleeds for quite a while, and the blood cleanses the site. I really think they're oversold by holistic dentists to make a buck, IMHO.

-
If you are referring to the cavitat, I totally agree.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

I asked my oral surgeon about cavitations. His take was that while many times you may not see them on x-ray, CT scans are more likely to show these.

Also, according to my OS, at the time of extraction the OS will be able to see the bone and assess bone health for any sign of latent infection. Tooth extracted and surrounding bone cleaned / sterilized.

My OS is not a biological dentist but allergy tested me for over 6,000 different dental materials. The name of the test escapes my memory right now.

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oxygenbabe, you could look into zirconium implants. I have been reading a lot of good things about them and I think Weston Price endorses them.

http://www.westonaprice.org/dentistry/dental-implants-an-integrative-perspective

Unfortunately, I may need to have my titanium implant removed. My symptoms have been worsening and all seem to be concentrated in vicinity of my implant. Lots of buzzing and electric feelings in my mouth and head. I do have some other metals in my mouth and will try getting them out first.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Yes, I am interested in the zirconium but read they are not strong enough for back molars :-(
desertwind
Member # 25256

I read and was told the same thing about zirconium. Not a good option for molars - took much force generated.
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I get my implant removed, there is a good chance I am going to put nothing in to replace it. I am seeing another oral surgeon next week to give me his opinion on whether I should get it removed. It just seems like a lot of my troubles began soon after that was put in my mouth.

There was an article I found about Dick Van Dyke having a mysterious neurological illness and how he felt so much better after his titanium implants were removed. too bad about Zirconium not being the answer, though.

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/Headline/Dick-Van-Dyke-mystery-illness-dental-implants-titanium/2013/06/03/id/507736/

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Lpkayak, sorry to have highjacked your thread! Did you ever get that dental work done?
lpkayak
Member # 5230

I didnt see it as highjacked...i am learning from the discussion

I found a better quality dentist and plan to have him start work friday when i have money

So far i have minimal pain i guess cuz what i take for arthritis and nerve pain take the edge off

Im struggling over how to get my xrays from first dentist cuz they were taken free as promotion...i know i have to ask but i dont know where i stand since i didnt pay

I have no problem asking for medical records cuz i know the law...but since i didnt pay i dont know where i stand

--------------------

dbpei
Member # 33574

Glad you are not in bad pain. As far as the x-rays, I guess all you can do is ask. It will probably depend on who the receptionist is on the day you call! Good luck!
desertwind
Member # 25256

You can also have the dentist you are consulting w/ request the x-rays from your previous dentist. You just need to give them permission to call and ask for them.

Really does matter that they were free, they are still yours and rights to your records still apply regardless if they were part of a promotion or not.

Most dental x-rays are digital so they can email them. Best wishes.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I picked up the xrays toda-i called first-they wouldnt send them

I moved my dental appt from the 25 th to the19 th

And i talked with the new dentist. He cant see any problem with infection in bone.

He wants to try to fill both but if the bad one is too deep he will pull it. He says my roots are not deep and it will only take 1-2 minutes

If i get two fillings it will be less than 45 min in chair-i will need muscle relaxant cuz i get back spasms

I feel a lot better...this has been a strrss for me

--------------------

dbpei
Member # 33574

Good luck, lpkayak!
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Im alive and home. He filled one and pulled one. No pain yet. Hoping for ez recovery-not sure if i will zone out or hang out
Here to distract myself

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Good job!! So glad you survived!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

dbpei
Member # 33574

Yay! Glad it is over!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement