LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Myasthenia gravis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Myasthenia gravis
LuluBelle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuluBelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
M gravis is an autoimmune disease.

Does that mean if you had MG your ANA test would be positive ?

I have never had an ANA test done so it seems like it would be a good starting point.

I know there are specific tests for MG. But I am curious, would a negative ANA mean no MG ?

--------------------
You won't know how sick I was until you see me when I'm well !

Posts: 123 | From Colorado | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is my understanding that an ANA test can indicate a certain condition if positive, but it is not specific in itself for diagnosing a specific disease.

Here is a site that has some information you may find helpful.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1171206-workup

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANA is specific to connective tissue autoimmunity. MG is not a connective tissue disease - it is a neurological issue. I don't think ANA would be positive in someone with MG unless they also had a connective tissue disease (such as Sjogren's, Lupus, etc.).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myasthenia Gravis was one of the conditions they thought might be the reason my health went south.

I found it very difficult to find a doctor who knew enough to rule it out or confirm it.

I ran into others dx with MG who had suddenly had their MG go into remission after being hospitalized and taking abx

It is tricky as certain abx make MG worse so you need to know which ones.

Some of the people in the support group wondered if they really had lyme disease instead and were misdx.

Another label that some are helped by and tohers are not.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuluBelle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuluBelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks kam

What antibiotics should not be used with MG ?

Isn't MG easily diagnosed with blood tests ?

--------------------

Posts: 123 | From Colorado | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it's like everything else.. the MG may not always show up in testing?

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/myasthenia_gravis/detail_myasthenia_gravis.htm

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up
Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
List of drugs to avoid with MG:

http://www.myasthenia.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=zmLaFItarOQ%3d&tabid=318

Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

General information:

http://www.myasthenia.org/Home.aspx

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got me looking this up. I keep battling with a droopy eye and muscle weakness.

I found this frightening article that has tick saliva as a treatment. Huh???

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090326084754.htm

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuluBelle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38865

Given that many of the antibiotics to avoid if you have MG are commonly used for Lyme and Coinfections it seems that everyone with neuro symptoms should be checked for MG.

Also the link mentions magnesium. Should magnesium be avoided by those with MG ?

--------------------

Beamer
Member # 44081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kam:
Myasthenia Gravis was one of the conditions they thought might be the reason my health went south.

I found it very difficult to find a doctor who knew enough to rule it out or confirm it.

I ran into others dx with MG who had suddenly had their MG go into remission after being hospitalized and taking abx

It is tricky as certain abx make MG worse so you need to know which ones.

Some of the people in the support group wondered if they really had lyme disease instead and were misdx.

Another label that some are helped by and tohers are not.

Posts: 12 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beamer
Member # 44081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, This is my first post here...I live in a high LYME hotbed and I've had Lyme at least 8 times. The first few times we never treated because it was so long ago we didn't know what it was. After we knew we were prescribed Doxy first for 2 weeks and later for longer times. I began to have weak legs about 18 months ago and so I began to read about Lyme, thinking I must have chronic Lyme.
I read a lot and I began to read Stephen Buhner the herbalist who has great lists of symptoms for all aspects of Lyme.. problem is I don't really relate with most of the things on those lists... I don't have headaches, I don't feel tired i.e. sleepy. I have been in reasonablly good health. The last time I had Lyme was in 2010 and I had like 5 bands took the doxy and that was the end of it. Last summer I was very busy and my legs would hurt at the end of the day, I could hardly do stairs or walk up the hill to where I live. My son said mom you must have Lyme. I'd not had a tick bite that I was aware of but that means nothing, because there can be so many you're not aware of. I went for a test and they said I was postiitve ( at the time I didn't know I only had two bands and one was the non specific 41. I took 6 weeks of doxy and it made me very punky mentally. My memory was shot. This spring I began to think I never felt better strength wise in my legs after doing the doxy. It kind of comes and goes but I'm weak if I overdo, but will revert back to average if I rest. I began to be tested for MG ( myasthenia Gravis) so far my first antibody test for Acetylchoine receptor came back neg and I'm waiting for the MuSK test which is another antibody that has more to do with cell wall than receptor site. Now I've done tons of MG resarch and I've come back around full cycle. I don't see how I can't have chronic Lyme from all those times we never treated. It would have progressed into cyst form etc.. you know? I don't think the subsequent doxy would have wiped out the cysts . I suspect it progressed over the decades and as it had lowered my manganese, I think it may have given me MG. I know that the BB create toxins when they die off. I'm scheduled for an EMG which is a muscle test they do to diagnose MG. MG is not easy to diagnose. It's so rare, most docs don't know much about it. LIKE LYME. So after all this time or researching I feel like I've come full circle back to thinking that Lyme is the cause of my problems, but I don't understand why I don't have headaches, and the rest of it. My symptoms are just the weakness that will form in my legs say by afternoon if I'm stressing them. My vision is a bit blurry at times, but I'm 65 so I guess that's not so unusual. Sometimes my upper back muscles get tight and right now my throat and swallowing have begun to bother me a little bit , but it's pollen season here so I'm thinking maybe it's that. I suspect that there is a connection between MG and LYME... I keep reading Lyme is the great imitator,mimics MS, Parkinson's, ALS, MG etc... I search and search but I can't find anything factual . I have only ever read one or maybe two anecdotes about people who said my grandmother was diagnosed with MG but it turned out to be LYME. I find no literature. Anyway I came here searching the two terms Lyme and Myastherina Gravis and I found this link. So hello to all of you/us in Lymeland. I have found some awesome Alternative Healers out there... If you have not read Walter Last of Health -Science-Spirit, I think he is really smart. I also like to listen to Dietrich Klinghadrt on you tube , he is one of the most brilliant Lyme Doctors on the planet, in my humble opinion. He believes all healing happens on 5 different levels and if you listen to him long enough, he makes so much sense you begin to understand why he says what he does. I've been taking a lot supplements, cleaned up my eating and have been caffeine, sugar,and alcohol free for over a month and 90% gluten free as well and I'm feeling better I think. I just thought I'd share my journey with you all. People coming together can slowly raise awareness.

Posts: 12 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breaking up the above post for easier reading:

Hi, This is my first post here...I live in a high LYME hotbed and I've had Lyme at least 8 times.

The first few times we never treated because it was so long ago we didn't know what it was. After we knew we were prescribed Doxy first for 2 weeks and later for longer times.

I began to have weak legs about 18 months ago and so I began to read about Lyme, thinking I must have chronic Lyme.

I read a lot and I began to read Stephen Buhner the herbalist who has great lists of symptoms for all aspects of Lyme.. problem is I don't really relate with most of the things on those lists...

I don't have headaches, I don't feel tired i.e. sleepy. I have been in reasonablly good health.

The last time I had Lyme was in 2010 and I had like 5 bands took the doxy and that was the end of it.

Last summer I was very busy and my legs would hurt at the end of the day, I could hardly do stairs or walk up the hill to where I live.

My son said mom you must have Lyme. I'd not had a tick bite that I was aware of but that means nothing, because there can be so many you're not aware of.

I went for a test and they said I was postiitve ( at the time I didn't know I only had two bands and one was the non specific 41.

I took 6 weeks of doxy and it made me very punky mentally. My memory was shot. This spring I began to think I never felt better strength wise in my legs after doing the doxy.

It kind of comes and goes but I'm weak if I overdo, but will revert back to average if I rest.

I began to be tested for MG ( myasthenia Gravis) so far my first antibody test for Acetylchoine receptor came back neg and I'm waiting for the MuSK test which is another antibody that has more to do with cell wall than receptor site.

Now I've done tons of MG resarch and I've come back around full cycle. I don't see how I can't have chronic Lyme from all those times we never treated. It would have progressed into cyst form etc.. you know?

I don't think the subsequent doxy would have wiped out the cysts . I suspect it progressed over the decades and as it had lowered my manganese, I think it may have given me MG.

I know that the BB create toxins when they die off. I'm scheduled for an EMG which is a muscle test they do to diagnose MG. MG is not easy to diagnose. It's so rare, most docs don't know much about it. LIKE LYME.

So after all this time or researching I feel like I've come full circle back to thinking that Lyme is the cause of my problems, but I don't understand why I don't have headaches, and the rest of it.

My symptoms are just the weakness that will form in my legs say by afternoon if I'm stressing them.

My vision is a bit blurry at times, but I'm 65 so I guess that's not so unusual.

Sometimes my upper back muscles get tight and right now my throat and swallowing have begun to bother me a little bit , but it's pollen season here so I'm thinking maybe it's that.

I suspect that there is a connection between MG and LYME... I keep reading Lyme is the great imitator,mimics MS, Parkinson's, ALS, MG etc... I search and search but I can't find anything factual .

I have only ever read one or maybe two anecdotes about people who said my grandmother was diagnosed with MG but it turned out to be LYME. I find no literature.

Anyway I came here searching the two terms Lyme and Myastherina Gravis and I found this link. So hello to all of you/us in Lymeland.

I have found some awesome Alternative Healers out there... If you have not read Walter Last of Health -Science-Spirit, I think he is really smart.

I also like to listen to Dietrich Klinghadrt on you tube , he is one of the most brilliant Lyme Doctors on the planet, in my humble opinion. He believes all healing happens on 5 different levels and if you listen to him long enough, he makes so much sense you begin to understand why he says what he does.

I've been taking a lot supplements, cleaned up my eating and have been caffeine, sugar,and alcohol free for over a month and 90% gluten free as well and I'm feeling better I think.

I just thought I'd share my journey with you all. People coming together can slowly raise awareness.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beamer
Member # 44081

thanks for breaking that up for me... I'm not familiar with this format.

I'll try to do the same on subsequent posts!

Best Thoughts,
Beamer

payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bemr, there are no short stories to lyme,

please continue to share

and I urge many here to do the same

we are willing to read in time

and when we can... Godspeed

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuluBelle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38865

Penacillamine is to be avoided if you have MG

Does this hold for amox and bicillin ?

A couple months ago I posted that bicillin really destroyed - muscle loss

Wonder if MG explains this ?

--------------------

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Entirely different disease and pathogen.

For MG - remove the thymus gland.

I'm not joking. Many years ago, friends of our went to a 5 star dude ranch in Colorado.

When they came home, their son, age 17 and in high school, rapidly (very) developed MG.

It got to the point where he could not open his eyes (extreme muscle weakness).

At Northwestern Hospital in Evanston, Illinois, the docs removed his thymus gland and

CURED HIM.

Today, he is a college grad, married and has children and is healthy.

He does have to supplement cortisone/cortisol only, if I remember correctly.

This is the God's honest truth.

I have no idea what pathogen he came into contact with and the other members did not, but given the speed of progression...likely a virus/viral particle...possibly (2013 discovery) Nest Nile virus.

Talk about mosquitoes...did you all catch the latest infection spread by them? Whoa.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:A-P1HXUDFN4J:http://www.wfaa.com/news/health/Caribbean-mosquito-borne-illness-discovered-in-Texas-patient-266072731.html

[ 07-11-2014, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement