LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Flagyl Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flagyl Question
dmarie725
Member # 43094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmarie725     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor just started me on Flagyl to treat "empirically" for parasites. Test was negative but still trying to treat.

Taking 500 mg 3 times daily for 14 days (have only taken 2 pills so far).

Just wondering...if I do in fact have parasites, will I know by how I feel on the drug? Would I have die-off symptoms? If so, how soon would those usually appear after starting the medication. So far, after 2 pills, I feel normal.

If anyone has any input that would be helpful [Smile]

Posts: 75 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think that answer will be varied for everyone.

You may hit Lyme with the Flagyl (I think you have Lyme? Do you?)

Or you may hit parasites. During parasite cleanses, my stomach gets tight, bloated, and constipated,

and it takes various methods for me to flush out my GI tract.
Also, it makes me crave sugar (parasite protocols.)

Lyme die off would be a whole different set of fun stuff.
So, have detox ability around just in case, etc.
Good luck!

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl usually makes people without lyme disease sick in about 2 days or 3 if it is going to make them sick.

If you tough it out, it will ease up in about a week.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmarie725
Member # 43094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmarie725     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey TF...when you say "makes them sick" do you mean just normal side effects of meds or do you mean die off?
Posts: 75 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I say that flagyl makes people without lyme disease sick, that is all that I know. I have no way of knowing why the flagyl made them sick.

My lyme doctor told me that flagyl makes people sick because flagyl is effective against so many things--parasites, lyme, etc. So, he believes that when flagyl makes people sick it is because it is killing something in their body.

I got C diff from antibiotics an ENT gave me. The treatment at the ER was a week of flagyl. It made me really sick. (This was 8 years after I got rid of lyme.) Ten times worse than I felt with the C diff. Nobody was surprised by this--not my lyme doctor or the gastro's office, etc.

So, I went to discuss all of this with my lyme doctor, and this is what he told me.

I have a friend who is healthy and never had lyme. She said flagyl made her really sick and she refuses to take it ever again. So, that is all I know.

I also know that when my lyme doctor treated me with flagyl back in the days when I had lyme, I didn't get very sick at all. It was a herx, but it was nothing like what happened when I took it recently for the C. diff.

The recent experience with flagyl was NOT normal side effects of meds from what I could tell. The gastro's office said what I was describing was normal. So, it must have been the effect the flagyl was having killing off the C diff. It was totally horrible and I didn't know if I would survive it.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl causes a bad reaction if you are using anything with alcohol in it (even topically)...

Also, Flagyl does not treat worms - it only treats protozoan parasites.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MTMT
Member # 40756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MTMT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first started tinidazole (close relative) the doc eased me into it. I did not get much of a reaction until I started a full 2 week course. It felt like my stomach was queasy with some anxiety type feelings. It made me irritable sitting in place. It was great to just go walk around to keep my mind off of things or just go home in the afternoons and sleep it off because I did not feel like doing anything else. Each 2 week round I took got easier and easier until it did not make me feel unusual. From a lot of peoples stories I got off easy...but then again I have not had any really serious herx on any of the meds...but always did have some sort of reaction.
Posts: 35 | From Western, MD | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement