LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Picc line vs Midline for IV antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Picc line vs Midline for IV antibiotics
TTLav
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TTLav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starting iv antibiotics wondering if picc or central line better. I'm optimistically hoping to get back to work but am a nurse use my arms for lifting.

treated over the past 2 1/2 yrs with oral antibiotics and supplements with LLMD--improved enough to go back to work for 14 months.

I pushed my LLMD to take me off antibiotics because I was doing okay and give my body a break.

Went off antibiotics for 4 months then... cognitive issues started in along with physical.
Had to stop working again- cognitive issues are worse then physical.

Hoping a improvement with IV antibiotics

Any advice would be helpful

Posts: 109 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you able to visit your docs office for a peripheral catheter?

If you work 4 on, 4 off... You could pulse IV 4 days on, on your days off.

Or, are you comfortable putting a butterfly in yourself every day?

I pulse on 5 days a week, with a peripheral.
I mix my own IV's and administer them myself when I get home from work.

IV has helped my neuro lyme.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a port and am so glad I chose that over a picc line. I can fully shower on the days the port is not accessed and it does not restrict my movements in any way.

I access my port myself now.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oceangirlSA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oceangirlSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not recommend a Picc line. My son and I both have a Hickman double lumen catheter, and mine has lasted me 18 months so far.

One line recently clogged, so I was able to use the other, and then I used a medication to flush out the clogged line and both are free again, so having two lumens has been helpful for long term use.

I am a jewelry designer, and do metalwork, so I did not want the risk of burning my line with my torch so opted for a central line.

Its been a good decision and no one knows its there so my treatment remains private.

Posts: 187 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delljen
Member # 25090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for delljen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faithful said ---
"I have a port and am so glad I chose that over a picc line. I can fully shower on the days the port is not accessed and it does not restrict my movements in any way.

I access my port myself now."

DITTO, for me on everything faithful said - I am SO glad I choose a port and would make the same choice if I had to do it again. I pulse my antibiotics so I am off on weekends. This means that I can de-access my own port each weekend and then have a full shower and feel freedom for two days a week!! I have had my port in for 8 months with no problems.

--------------------
Lyme, Bart, Babs D, FL1953
I am just sharing my thoughts and experiences - I'm not a medical professional.

Posts: 69 | From Midwest | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you access your own port? Could you be specific? This sounds difficult to me.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Port any day would be my choice. I liked that I could pull the needle out and have a comfortable shower on the days I didn't infuse. The other thing it could be easily covered by a tshirt.
I did not like the thought of the other type hanging on my arm.

Here is a basic comparison :
http://www.tiredoflyme.com/intravenous-antibiotic-methods.html#.U030cpK9KK0

On Facebook:
PICC Line Club

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm doing IM (intramuscular) injections right now instead of IV. I don't want to have a picc line for reasons mentioned so am trying to avoid it.

Bicillin LA turned the cognitive stuff around when orals weren't doing it. I'm now doing IM rocephin.

The only downside is you need someone else to give you the injections, (unless you're okay giving them to yourself, but I think it would be difficult). You might also have some pain at the injection site, but the pain fades.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement