LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tinidazole side effects vs neurotoxic effects

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tinidazole side effects vs neurotoxic effects
Indica440
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Indica440     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a short course of tini because of my recently extreme fatigue. I havent been this tired in ages. I still was on adrenal meds/thyroid meds and i couldnt do anything my brain would not function at all.

Then i took out the tini, said screw it and took 1000mg for two days. I felt the bad effects of it in my intestines but it also cleared up the fatigue the next day, but i had extreme depression, anxiety and new symptoms of burning nerves in the arms and legs and jaw pain.

Im no afraid this is because of the drug being toxic. However the fatigue has returned as im off the med for 2 days now.

What do you say?

Posts: 141 | From cali | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's busting open the cyst form and getting at stuff you probably haven't hit before. It's not unusual to feel tired on it or even herx.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with abxnomore.

The stomach upset happens to me with tini also, but it helps with the fatigue so much, it is worth it.

Your dose of 1000 mg isn't too high for a days dose, I wouldn't be worried about it.

But ramping up extra magnesium may help your neuralgia symptoms.

Best, Greta

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indica440
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Indica440     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I now have neuro symptoms in the arms and legs. Im also on samento/banderol!
Posts: 141 | From cali | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oceangirlSA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oceangirlSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the samento/banderol have alcohol in them, you shouldn't be taking them with the tindimax.

Tindamax can cause an adverse reaction if alcohol is ingested within a few days of taking it.

Some people seem to be able to get away with it, but I won't risk it.

Posts: 187 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My tinctures make me ill on tindimax. My doc said to boil some water, then put the tincture in the water and let it cool to let the alcohol evaporate.

I don't think it removes all of it, but it makes it tolerable.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I am taking tinidazole(same as tindamax), and the warning says not to take any alcohol within 3 days of tinidazole, that it causes severe reaction.

Not sure if that is the reaction you have.

The research on tindamax is that it stays in the system for about 3 days, half-life of about one day.

If your reaction is due to the tindy still in your system, you may need to wait until it flushes out.

My info says 500mg per day, and then pulsed after 2 or 3 days for a few days after that, or 2-3 weeks on & one week off, or both pulsed.

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nancy L:
[QB] Yes, I am taking tinidazole(same as tindamax), and the warning says not to take any alcohol within 3 days of tinidazole, that it causes severe reaction.

Not sure if that is the reaction you have.

The research on tindamax is that it stays in the system for about 3 days, half-life of about one day.

If your reaction is due to the tindy still in your system, you may need to wait until it flushes out.

My info says 250 to 500mg per day, and then pulsed after 2 or 3 days for a few days after that, or 2-3 weeks on & one week off, or both pulsed.

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Sorry I tried to edit the above post to "250 to 500mg" from "500mg", and that is what happened!
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to Magnesium, also need Vitamin B Complex to prevent neuro. toxicity from Tini/Flagyl.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement