LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do your nails grow out with ridges when you treat aggressively or notice otherwise ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do your nails grow out with ridges when you treat aggressively or notice otherwise ?
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you noticed your thumb nails grow out with ridges at any certain point if your treatment such as pushing or herxing or ???

Have u noticed them being more ridged as they grow in any pattern ??

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pointermom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pointermom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of my nails (fingers and toes) are ridged, and I think they always have been.

Seems like they're smoother since I began treatment, but it's hard to tell

They seem to be growing much faster than before, maybe due to diet and supplements

--------------------
One day closer to being cured.....

Posts: 104 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHA!!!!

Springshowers... [kiss]

YES! Was playing with the ridge on my thumbs last night.

Have been treating super aggressively, have been herxing like crazy the last 6 weeks.

Just my thumbs have a ridge right down the center, from the cuticle to about halfway of my nail.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Greta. Same as me !!
Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MayBeeOK
Member # 43632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MayBeeOK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be from your adrenal gland.

Other symptom lightheadedness when getting up from a sitting or laying down position

Posts: 10 | From North New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh mine are awful. treatment didn't help at all.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

quote:
Ridges - If you wear nail polish or false nails, you may not see your nail bed very often. It is important to check your nails occasionally for ridges. If you have recently injured your finger like slamming, it with something a vertical ridge is not odd. If you notice horizontal ridges, from side to side, they could be a warning of a health problem. Most ridges are from childhood if you had trauma to the nail. In some rare cases, they are called Beau's lines. They can be a symptom from kidney disease, Lyme disease, liver problems, diabetes or circulatory disease. If you have these ridges, a checkup will put your mind at ease.
I wonder though what exactly causes the ridges ? Toxins or stress or lack of circulation or nutritional issues. I'm sure it's all of those but there must some more detailed explanation somewhere.
springshowers
Member # 19863

quote:
There are several causes of Beau's lines. It is believed that there is a temporary cessation of cell division in the nail matrix. This may be caused by an infection or problem in the nail fold, where the nail begins to form, or it may be caused by an injury to that area. Some other reasons for these lines include trauma, coronary occlusion, hypocalcaemia, and skin disease. They may be a sign of systemic disease, or may also be caused by an illness of the body, as well as drugs used in chemotherapy or malnutrition.[3]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read that zinc deficiency causes ridges in nails.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cipro will allmost stop nail growth. The nails will have horizontal thin grooves when on cipro.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very common in people who have long term infections. If they are not infected, it's often a sign of a mineral deficiency.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I treat aggressively, as I have on and off for years now, I have had (and still have) strong vertical ridges in my nails, but, you're right, for some reason it is especially my thumb nail.

I also have it on my toe nails, especially the big toe. I never had this before treatment.

I associate this with Candida, which it always a battle with so many abx. Any other ideas or confirmation of the cause? I have googled it a lot, but not come up with anything much.

It's not from trauma for me.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

I really think its from surge in toxins and infections released and stress on body as whole to heal.
They call herxes a healing crisis and I think nails get disrupted in there natural more healthy growth pattern and state.

Speaking of the when treating more aggressively on and off

It does make me wonder about the state out bodies are put in when herxing and I try to be careful and not push it cuz I do think its not good to herx in any continual or ongoing way and it too hard.

dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not treating(can't take the side effects)and I also have gotten ridges in my nails, the beaus lines of both of my big toes, and a vertical line on my pinkie nail.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NH_Hiker
Member # 43676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NH_Hiker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not on any type of treatment yet, and 9 out of 10 of nails have ridges, dents and they are brittle. Have been for years.
Posts: 29 | From 42.782745, -71.280301 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, mine started rippling when I started my present treatments with herbals. Mostly just on thumbs!

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thumbnails have had marked vertical and horizontal ridges from childhood. My other nails have had horizontal ridges, though not as marked as the ones on the thumbs. I never knew what the significance was and still don't.

My nails were always weak and brittle. Ten + years ago I began going to a salon and having acrylic applied to my nails. I am happy with the results. My nails look great. They aren't the healthiest, I'm sure. But they never were to begin with. At least now they look decent and aren't splitting and breaking all the time.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a cosmetologist and we had to study diseases of the hand/nails, face/skin, etc. and rippled nails means that something is off- deficiency or illness.

I have also seen huge changes in people that have had anesthesia and chemo, so I wouldn't be surprised if after a bout of abx that we get here would cause this to happen.

I wonder too if it is just the disease(s) itself, which would come out like this also if it was 'activated' by abx.

I remember when I was pregnant and my nails would curl

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bringing this thread back up to add this link of great info on nails:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nail-abnormalities/Pages/Introduction.aspx

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Lymetoo, I too have heard that it means a zinc deficiency. If anyone with nail ridges wants to try an experiment to find out if this is so...?
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement