LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Producing too much melatonin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Producing too much melatonin
LaniMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaniMo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all:

I've been having terrible insomnia -- for years, but much worse after Lyme.

I can't fall sleep without sleeping pills, and now I've started waking in the middle of the night (2:00, then 4:00, then 6:00), feeling itchy, wired, and anxious.

Of course, I'm exhausted all the time.

I've done a sleep study and don't have apnea, but it did find that I have micro-awakenings 38 times an hour and no REM sleep.

My primary care doc ran a melatonin test, and it turns out that I'm producing way too much during the middle of the night and early morning.

She wants me to have a second brain MRI to rule out pineal gland cancer, and an oxidative stress test.

Has anyone else had problems with too much melatonin and/or the pineal gland?

Has anyone found an oxidative stress test to be useful?

Thanks!

Posts: 118 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read about fluoride causing trouble with the pineal gland. You might want to research that.

Being itchy made me think of the possibility of "histamine intolerance." Try checking that out also.

I have found that by following a low histamine diet I am sleeping much better.

Hope this helps!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11175/everything-you-need-to-know-about-histamine-intolerance.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi LaniMo,

My son is in the same boat.

But, I cannot get decent medical care around here to give a diagnosis, I just know what I see at night....multiple rousals, usually accompanied by increased respiration. He's had a sleep study and 24 hour EEG....go fig.

So, I cannot add any insight, but only can ride on your coat tails-forgive me.

Why would an INCREASE in melatonin cause this? Doctors push melatonin supps to GET to sleep, and stay asleep. Yours seems the opposite. Finally, what is an oxidative stress test? What does it measure, and how is it done?

I hope others will come on and shed some light.

What is your primary infection.....or which do you think could be causing this? You said you've had problems pre-lyme?

Thanks Much

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaniMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaniMo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback.

The interpretation of my melatonin test reads:

"High morning melatonin levels are often present in individuals with Seasonal Affective Disorder. This may be due to prolonged nocturnal production of melatonin, and/or late onset of its production.

High melatonin levels may bring about inhibition of ovulation in women as well as decreased body temperature. High melatonin has been noted in the manic phase of bipolar mood disorder. Many antidepressant drugs may stimulate melatonin production ...

This profile reveals a disturbance in the circadian rhythm of melatonin. This may influence other hormones such as thyroid, testosterone, and estrogen.

As well as playing a crucial role in sleep-wake cycles, melatonin influences other vital functions, including cadiovascular and antioxidant protection, endocrine function, immune regulation, and body temperature."

Incidentally, I've noticed an increase in several hormonal issues, including acne, greasy hair and skin, and I've been losing my eyebrow hair.

I've also had more sinus congestion and phlegm lately.

It's my understanding that oxidative stress can cause disruption in circadian rhythym, reduced ability to eliminate toxins, and is associated with diseases like Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, chronic fatigue, etc.

Posts: 118 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaniMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37384

2roads: I was diagnosed with Lyme in 2012 -- about a year and a half after I was exposed. I also have bartonella and babesia.

Problems pre-Lyme were anxiety/depression. While treating those, I had problems with insomnia.

soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lanimo, What was the lab that did the melatonin test? What exactly is oxidative stress?

I am asking because I am in the same boat as far as insomnia goes. Alot of my symptoms have resolved or lessened with the exception of insomnia.

Can you sleep during the day? I can't even take a nap right now.

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaniMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37384

I wish I could explain what oxidative stress is ... I certainly can empathize with the insomnia.

I know that my primary care doc was concerned that too much stress could cause problems with circadian rhythym (sleep) and might be remedied by IV glutathione.

My LLMD thought the test was unnecessary. Basically, he said, "You have Lyme. Of course you have oxidative stress."

Here's a summary from Wikipedia:

Oxidative stress reflects an imbalance between the systemic manifestation of reactive oxygen species and a biological system's ability to readily detoxify the reactive intermediates or to repair the resulting damage.

Disturbances in the normal redox state of cells can cause toxic effects through the production of peroxides and free radicals that damage all components of the cell, including proteins, lipids, and DNA.

Further, some reactive oxidative species act as cellular messengers in redox signaling. Thus, oxidative stress can cause disruptions in normal mechanisms of cellular signaling.

In humans, oxidative stress is thought to be involved in the development of cancer,[1] Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease,[2] atherosclerosis, heart failure,[3] myocardial infarction,[4][5] fragile X syndrome,[6] Sickle Cell Disease,[7] lichen planus,[8] vitiligo,[9] autism,[10] and chronic fatigue syndrome.[11]

However, reactive oxygen species can be beneficial, as they are used by the immune system as a way to attack and kill pathogens.[12] Short-term oxidative stress may also be important in prevention of aging by induction of a process named mitohormesis.

LaniMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37384

Genova Diagnostics did the salivary melatonin test.
LaniMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37384

And no -- I have a hard time sleeping during the day now, even when I'm exhausted. Sometimes I wake early and can get back to sleep, but probably b/c I'm still feeling the effects of the sleeping pill.
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From some of the other symptoms you posted,
have you had your thyroid checked,
hormones, cortisol?

I also have insomnia, and take a sleeping pill. I have for years- and tried every natural remedy known to mankind to no avail- need a sleeping pill.

I have never had my cortisol checked- nor hormones-
I should, but don't want more health things to tweak right now, so just keep taking a sleeping pill.

My thyroid has always checked out, and I don't have any other thyroid symptoms, and continue to work on adrenal issues naturally.

I can't 'go under' when I nap during the day. Part of that, I think, is knowing I have kids depending on me later on, so can't 'let go.'

But I do lie down and rest every day, quiet, and pray and meditate, and my whole body completely relaxes.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I was thinking more about this (as sleep is my issue too)

You mentioned glutathione for oxidative stress- have you ever had it either IV or liposomal form regularly?

I recently put my daughter back on lipo glut (very expensive Pure Encapsulations non liquid kind)

although she has slept well now for years, supplementing with lipo glutathione for her is always a positive.

If I were rich, I'd get another 60 day bottle for myself- but it's around $80. plus a cold ship fee.

I have heard many positives from people doing regular IV glutathione protocol-

--------------------
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaniMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37384

surprise: I tried IV glutathione once (and liposomal for about a year) and I didn't notice any improvement. My LLMD said it probably wouldn't help to continue.

My thyroid is fine, but I have low prenenolone, low normal DHEA, and low cortisol. I started on a small dose of Cortef (2.5 mg.) today.

surprise
Member # 34987

Well, if that magically fixes your sleep issues, please let me know! :-)

--------------------
doing okay!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement