LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Horrible pain from blood draw

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Horrible pain from blood draw
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard for me to type I'm in so much pain.

I got my blood drawn and I asked the lady not to poke my wrist (on the top side). She did it anyway right at a place I have chronic pain. She completely ignored me saying she's not going to get the bone.

It's now puffed up and hurts. Are there any ways to relieve vein pain????

I'm typing with my other hand which is my worse wrist.

I'm icing it, not sure what else to do.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ice packs for me. I've had horrible bruises and swelling. some would last for weeks.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! This sucks, this was my better wrist (both are bad though).
Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no Judie! Ouch!
Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest hot compresses, which will improve blood circuation to the area and speed healing of the cells.

If you have a machine to do LED light therapy, use the 880 wavelength.
Or a PEMF machine would work even faster to calm the pain.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Thanks so much. No light machine, but I having both heating a cooling pads.

If I have the energy, I think I think I'm going to complain. It still hurts. Must stop typing...

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie-I was just thinking it might be good to avoid NSAIDS or Aspirins etc for the time being because they thin the blood and it might make the bruising worse.

Is it possible the needle may have been burred? I have had that once and it felt like the lab tech was trying to put a straw in my arm haha.

It is also possible that the vacuum in the tubes may have been too much for the vein and it collapsed?

I had that once also and it took about 10 days for the swelling and pain to go down.

It may be worth reporting just so next time, maybe a smaller guaged needle can be used or one of higher quality. Most labs have three or more qualities and sizes.

In the meantime, gentle heat alternating with gentle cold sounds like the best idea, in the absence of a pemf machine (sp?)

Please don't reply-just rest your wrist veins.
[group hug]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Thanks. Typing with one hand.

I'm not taking any painkillers, can't handle them, but a good reminder. I put some ibuprofen cream on it and it helped temporarily.

I'm going to report what happened.

I think the BIG issue is that Nurse Ratched IGNORED that I told her not to stick the needle in my wrist. No one should be in this much preventable pain. I'm pissed.

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh oh I jus remembered. this stuff is great. it's vitamin K cream. , not e but K.

doctor told me about it.

its at wallie world I think or walgrens. I love it.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Judie, this world is full of ugly people. I wish they were not in the medical profession though. We really need good-doers there.

Hang in there-

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Thanks everyone!

Yes, too many ugly people in this world.

I'll try the vitamin K cream.

I filled out a complaint form on the lab's website. I wonder if I'll get a response from them.

Wrist is still stiff and sore. Praying this will go down soon. /the pain is right wear it bends.

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have hot compresses helped at all?

You could also do a "warm soak" by filling a 4-6 quart pot with warm water.
Put the pot of warm water on a second chair next to you, sit down and hold your hand/wrist/forearm in the water.

If you do this at the table, you can read while your wrist soaks.
Also, have a towel right there, for when you're done.

Using a large quantity of water means that it cools off more slowly.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Hi Carol,

Thanks for checking it. I'm going back and forth between hot and cold. Both make it feel better.

I just ordered some vit K cream. It looks and feels way worse today than yesterday.

susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie - why blood draw from wrist area?

My last blood draw (elbow) was painful.

A straight needle was used.

Butterfly needles hurt so much less.

I asked for a BF needle and the guy said no.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie - why blood draw from wrist area?

My last blood draw (elbow) was painful.

A straight needle was used.

Butterfly needles hurt so much less.

I asked for a BF needle and the guy said no.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

They can never find the vein in my elbow, so I have them draw in the area between my wrist and elbow. I've been doing this for years.

This is after having horrible bruising from a nurse who couldn't find the vein. It's easier for everyone in this other area.

My wrist is killing me.

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I look like a long time junkie when they finish my blood draw.

I have complained many times because they feel they must slap my hand. It hurts! They slap my wrists and my inner part of elbow. I ask nicely once. Tersely twice and for the supervisor on three.

I do ask for. BF, most comply. If they think they are the worlds best I give them one chance.

I am so sorry Judie, it just ain't right.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Slapping! Yuck. I haven't had that one. That would definitely NOT be okay.

If I'm still hurting tomorrow, I'm going to call to find out who to complain to. I don't think and online feedback form is enough.

This is my "good" wrist too. Hard to type, but need emotional support. Things are so tough as is.

I haven't been able to do much because I hurt two fingers on the other hand along with wrist problems.

Nasty dishes are piling up.

susank
Member # 22150

Dang Judie - so sorry.

I notice that in the summer my veins stand out almost embarassingly.

That is what got me to thinking - hey - for sure I can do self IV Abx with a BF needle.

No tourniquet needed.

I also read that tourniquets are damaging to veins?!

Prowling unusual druggie related websites - I read where one can stuff a t-shirt or small pillow under the armpit - clamp down - wait - and - viola - bulging veins!

Anyway last blood draw - I asked for a BF - no-go.

I held out my arm to display my lovely easy-stick veins.

But where did they go?

It was freezing in there - duh - so my veins
went into hiding - much like...........

Learn something new every day.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This won't really help now, but for in the future, if you run into a difficult nurse again.

My last home health care nurse was AMAZING at blood draws. Usually doing them anywhere on the hand or wrist hurts, but he's the only nurse I've ever had do one that didn't bother me.

One thing he does differently (and recommended that I do with other nurses) is put a LOT of pressure where he did the stick. Generally they'll pop a cotton ball on it for a bit, but he spent a solid minute putting good pressure on it. Didn't hurt and - miraculous - it didn't bruise.

After the fact, I haven't found much that helped, aside from maybe having a heating pad on it and waiting it out. Sorry they banged you up :\

Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

This was a fill-in tech because the regular person is on vacation. I had no idea what I was in for.

My wrist STILL hurts and I'm typing with one hand.

Judie
Member # 38323

I got a call from the lab this morning. They didn't leave a message. I guess someone did read my online complaint. I wonder if I should call back.

Ladycakes- I was trying to type yesterday but too difficult. Yes, I'm want to start working with a better lab/person.

I thought about it and I'm going to change labs. There's a really nice lady who's at a lab closer to me anyway that my husband saw a couple weeks ago. I'll give them a try.

randibear
Member # 11290

warm compressors will help thin theblood in that area and cold will reduce the swelling.

a nurse tried twice on me in the hospital. I was crying and she told me to stop being such ababy and left. I put my hand down off the gurney. little did I know the blood soaked the sheet and was running down my arm onto the floor. another guy came in and said OMG. believe me I was so sick I didn't even care. she tried on top of my hand. it took weeks for it to heal. it was black for a lon time.

I told everybody about that hospital. and I never went back.

--------------------

Judie
Member # 38323

Randibear - Oh good lord, that's awful. I did allergy testing with pinpricks once and it was so painful I started crying. The doc said not to be a baby. What is it with these people in the "caring" profession???

Yes, spread the word. People need to know to avoid these places.

I actually came here to thank you for the Vit K recommendation. The wrist still isn't great, but I DEFINITELY feel an improvement. Thank you TONS!

randibear
Member # 11290

actually it was my sister who's a radiologist that recommended it.

I'm glad it helped. first sign of a bruise or bump and I use it twice a day.

keep using it hon.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement