LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How accurate are food sensitivity tests?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How accurate are food sensitivity tests?
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the skin prick tests--no reactions. I have had the IgG4(Meridian Valley) tests with lots of reactions.

Last week I had the Mediated Release Test (MRT test with LEAP diet plan) and the foods that reacted were totally different than the ones on the IgG test and the ones that reacted on the IgG test were very low on the MRT test. Now I am clueless!!

I do know that corn bothers my joint and eczema greatly yet it showed up as being a I food I should eat on all tests. ARGH!

I did all the research and am still confused.

Your thoughts?

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not sure about that, but did you ever check out the EAT RIGHT FOR YOUR TYPE series?

When I checked out what was good for O bloods I was amazed at how the list of "do not eat" foods were things that always make me feel "funny".

I actually did the diet for my blood type years ago and never felt better in my life.

go to this link, and hover over "indivualized diets"
http://www.dadamo.com/program.htm

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Lisa. So, are you going to do the blood type diet again? Actually I looked at the type A diet and it does fit some of the foods that showed up negative in the tests.

But soy was high--probably the dietitian said due to lecithin. Apparently there is a form of lecithin in eggs and corn, too, which is why they bother me. They say blood type A needs soy--not gonna happen--LOL.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It had been a while since I had my Ig and Igm but one is indicative of a true/immediate food allergy and one is more a delayed sensitivity.
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hiker, I do plan on looking at the diet again more seriously in the future- after my treatments are all done, in about 5 months from now.

I can already tell that a lot of my food issues/sensitivities are gone with the treatment for lyme & co I have already had these past several months.

caffeine no longer bothers me and alcohol no longer gives me instant hangover or drunkeness like it was these past few years!

I am O blood, and that says no to soy totally I think if I remember correctly. soy was really giving me problems, as was corn and wheat which still are. I feel like I gain 10 pounds over night if I eat either of them.

lately I have been eating a lot of avocados since they are so good for us, but now my body is telling me to stay away. I guess I will take a new look at that blood type list and see- to refresh my memory

every little bit to help, right?

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some differences between the MRT and the IGG testing. The goal of the MRT is to show you your "safe" fods. Based on the foods, substances, additives etc tested a diet plan is made up for you comprised of the foods you showed little to no reaction to. Did you receive the diet?
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My allergist said they are so inaccurate that I should save my $500 by NOT having the tests for food allergies.

I've heard that many many times.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Tutu--these are not testing for allergies but rather for foods that may cause some inflammation. I know if I eat certain foods my eczema gets worse and my joints hurt more. Just not sure which foods. I may give the LEAP diet a try since I have done the testing for it.

Hiker53

[ 06-21-2014, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: hiker53 ]

--------------------
Hiker53

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just referring to the standard food allergy testing.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing with the Leap testing is it has tested your response to not just foods, but additives that may be in foods and medications etc. For example through the testing I learned that I am reactive to benzoic acid, FD&C RED 4, oregano, mustard, buckwheat, cow's milk to name a few..this explains it more.
http://acupuncturenutrition.com/mediator-release-testing-mrt-faq/
One of the biggest takeaways from this is that a diet is made up of the foods you tested no reaction to where as with other testing it doesn't tell you which foods/substances are ok, as it is limited in what it has tested so you could still be consuming something you are reactive to.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Ellen,

Did you try the LEAP diet? Results?

I am going to start it on Tuesday. My least reactive foods make for very weird combinations for meals.

This will test my creativity and patience. LOL

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

Mvdr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mvdr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not sure what test the LLMD does but it is a blood test. When I got the test results I was so surprised at how it paralleled the Blood Type diet, except for a few things for me...eggs, soy, pineapple. But if someone wanted to be careful of food sensitivities and didn't want to spend money on testing the blood type diet would be the next best thing.
Posts: 143 | From Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

I did try the diet. For me though there were other issues. Due to a health problem I can't tolerate any starches at all. The diet included starches so I ended up feeling worse instead of better. I think if I had done the diet minus the starches it would have worked well.

It was still very helpful to show me what foods, additives etc to stay away from. I was surprised to see that I was reactive to chicken [Frown] this was disappointing as I eat alot of chicken.

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great topic Hiker!

I see an allergist next month.

Was wondering what the tests were about.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

I ended up being highly reactive to beef and bananas. I eat a banana every day--bummer.

I am hoping eventually I will be able to rotate the moderately reactive and highly reactive foods back into my diet.

I also think once I clear all the parasites that I may be able to eat more things--who knows?

I will start on Tuesday, so say a pray I can stick with it. It will be hard to go out socially and I have a lot of social stuff coming up in the next few weeks, but summer is a good time for me to do this as I am not teaching.

Greta, A regular allergist may be able to help with skin prick tests, but most don't believe in food sensitivity tests as food sensitivities are not true allergies. Maybe yours will.

I had to beg my GP to get this blood test ordered. I am not sure why he was so resistant, because my insurance even covered most of it.

I am trying to have a positive attitude as I will be having to cook new recipes. I don't eat processed foods, except for hazelnut milk and coconut yogurt. Now I will have to make the nut milk from scratch.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

Ellen101
Member # 35432

hiker making the nut milk from scratch is really easy and tastes delicious!
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" I know if I eat certain foods my eczema gets worse and my joints hurt more. Just not sure which foods."

It was a mystery to me what foods were causing this symptoms. It turns out I have nickel allergy and foods high in nickel cause these symptoms (confirmed by my allergist and dermatologist, there are medical papers on the topic).

It turns out the "healthy" diet I was on was the problem.

Things like beans, peas, sprouted items, some nuts, some whole grains and common foods are all high in nickel.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmarie31
Member # 43700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmarie31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a really interesting thread... I've wondered about these tests too. I've had the E95 Basic Food Panel done by Meridian Valley. Though disappointing, since I loved many of the foods that came up as "avoid," I've found it to be helpful.

My doctor's office uses the Asyra test to check sensitivities. The first time I did it, it brought up certain foods I know I was eating often: Banana, Sesame seed, Corn, Turkey... I changed up these foods, eating Chicken instead of Turkey, etc. Second Asyra test: many of these changed. Now Chicken was a sensitivity, as was Blueberries, which I ate every morning!
I guess this would make sense as to why we are supposed to eat everything in moderation?

Between medication and diet, sometimes I feel like there is so much to remember while being on treatment my head might explode ;-)

Posts: 17 | From Wisconsin | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Ellen,

I want to make hazelnut milk. Have you made that kind? I guess I need to blanch the hazelnuts which would be an issue.

I don't do well with almonds or soy.

Judie--thanks for suggestion about nickel allergy. How do you test for that?

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did patch testing at the dermatologist and allergist.

An easy patch test is TRUE test. Insurance paid.

http://www.truetest.com/

It confirmed some things I was suspicious about, but I had no idea about nickel. I asked the dermatologist about foods containing nickel and if a low-nickel diet helps skin/inflammation since I'm allergic to it. She said yes, and gave me some articles about it.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Hiker I just made hazelnut the other day. I soaked the nuts in water over night. The next day I drained and rinsed them and then put them in a blender with clean fresh water. Blended them on high for a few seconds. Then with a cheese cloth strained the milk into mason jars.

You can order a nut bag from this site which makes it easier. I need to order a new one. She has some great recipes as well. I make alot of her homemade icecreams.
http://bettyrawker.com/2011/11/26/hazelnut-milk/

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement