LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pain medication/supplements

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pain medication/supplements
kmarie31
Member # 43700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmarie31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,

Does anyone have recommendations for safe pain medications or supplements? My doctor doesn't want me on Ibuprofen or anything like that. I'm taking Chlorophyll Complex and Curcumin/Turmeric but haven't noticed a difference with these... I am taking Bentonite to help detox the toxins as the Bb dies off (I'm in my first couple months of treatment for Chronic Lyme and Bartonella). I'd also like to try a sauna to help detox, but don't have the funds to purchase one right now.

To specify, my pain resides in my joints and muscles, primarily knees, feet, hands, head and back. I struggle to do simple tasks and have trouble sleeping because of it. Nausea is also a big problem.

Thanks [Smile]

--------------------
:: Chronic Lyme Disease >7 years ::
:: Co-infections: Babesia, Ehrlichia, Rickettsia, Bartonella (?) ::

Posts: 17 | From Wisconsin | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried a whole lot of things for pain, although if you can't take ibuprofen, some of it probably won't be helpful.

Honestly, I think it's a lot of trial and error. Tramadol made me nauseas, but vicodin (which is supposedly a bigger gun) works great for me. Advil doesn't seem to have any effect on my joint pain. But others have had radically different results.

I've yet to find a supplement that's done anything at all for it, but some folks on this board swear by them. Curcumin comes up a lot.

When I'm in a position where I can't take pain meds (like, if I have to drive, or do work that I need my brain for, because they do make me fuzzy) I usually treat it with heat. I have a bag full of corn that I heat up in the microwave, or I'll soak in a hot bath.

Now that I'm doing better, running is actually improving my pain levels, but that's totally not a thing that I could do when I was really sick. A lot of people will say you shouldn't do any aerobic exercise, and they have research to back that up, so all I can say is that it works for me. Possibly stretching or yoga would be helpful.

At any rate, I think it's important to find a good doctor that takes treating your pain seriously (treating the cause, lyme and/or coinfections, but also treating the symptoms in the meantime) and being willing to try some things. It seems that everyone I talk to has different reactions to pain meds, because everything about lyme is complicated.

Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kmarie,

I have tried a few things.

Low Dose Naltrexone. Started this early days with my LL to help my immune system and to reduce daily pain.

Because of the LDN, opiates will not work. This is OK with me because in the past, I have not had pain relief from the opiate family of drugs anyways. Just nausea and feeling dizzy, but still lots of pain.

Then for the nerve pain we tried high dose Elavil. I caution anyone reading this, that Elavil is supporsed to be a VERY difficult drug to get off of. Like literally, the docs will prescribe Prozac to help one ween of Elavil.

It didn't help with pain as much as I had hoped, so after 8 months or so I weened myself to 37 mg and then quit cold turkey.

Tumeric in capsules was recommended to me by my LL and also lots on this board.
Did not help me.

Vimovo. I find when it wears off, the pain afterwards is worse than the pain before.

My IR sauna helps a lot with the "fibro" type pain caused by lyme.

So does Motrin. Advil hurts my belly. Motrin does not. Go figure?

I caution you to avoid acetominophen. It stops the body from using glutathione-one of the important and essential things our bodies need for phase 2 detox.

Trigger point injections help me with muscle cramps in my spine. I go every two weeks.

But the leg/foot pain I had some relief with that when I was treating bartonella. (I relapsed-so it is back).

Hip and thigh bone pain is supposed to be relieved by treating babesia.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I struggle with pain daily also.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/24039

Pain Management - Some Rx posts and scroll down to see some supplement discussion.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support

See the MAGNESIUM detail here, especially.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You mention nausea. This might be of help to you:

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/ginger-rootrhizome-zingiber-officinalis.html

GINGER

Also search in that site above:

Licorice (but DGL mentioned in that applies better),

Slippery Elm & Marshmallow Root powder
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS

How Nausea can be affected by inner / middle ear / balance / Rx
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking a high quality curcumin? I take it 3 times a day. It is not perfect, but it is the only thing I can take for pain.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buhner recommends 1200mg/day Stinging Nettle Leaf for joint pain. I tried it and it really helped me with my joint pain.

Muscle pain - I got relief when I increased magnesium.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmarie31
Member # 43700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmarie31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone - I will definitely look more into some of these things.

@GretaM, I'm so glad you mentioned that about acetaminophen. Last night I caved and took some Ibuprofen; I was afraid I wouldn't get any sleep without it (had super bad menstrual cramps).

@Keebler - you are right on about the ginger. It has been my best friend [Smile]

@Lymetoo, I've tried a couple so far (taking 2, 2x per day as recommended by my dr.):

1.) New Chapter Turmeric Force - 1 softgel = 320 mg of Turmeric (rhizome), min. 22 mg curcuminoids, and 80 mg of Turmeric (rhizome) supercritical extract.

2.) Jarrow Curcumin 95 - 500 mg Turmeric concentrate (Curcuma longa), 95% cucuminoids (rhizome)

I'm afraid I don't know much about determining high quality vs. low quality. My husband has wondered why I don't just buy turmeric and make my own capsules... What kind do you take?

Posts: 17 | From Wisconsin | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Turmeric (hence, Curcumin, its concentrated extract) can contain lead. So that's why the source really matters, as with all supplements. The brands you list are trusted.

Still, you can buy in bulk, by the ounce or pound and there are trusted sources. And, you can just mix in water and drink. Not the best taste but not the worst, either. '

If you happen to have any gallbladder issues, best to start first with Turmeric. Curcumin can sometimes be too strong if the gallbladder is inflamed or irritated. Otherwise, most do fine with it. Some details:

From: The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson, et.al.)

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/turmeric-root-curcuma-longa.html

TURMERIC ROOT (Curcuma longa)

Excerpt:

. . . SAFETY ISSUES: Due to mucin-reducing effects, do not use the concentrated extract (curcumin) or oil in high doses, especially if you have bile duct obstruction, gall stones, or stomach ulcers. Use turmeric as a spice freely. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
In your city, there are likely some naturopathic doctors. See if they have lectures, etc. where you can learn about how to find good sources.

See if your lyme support group has the name of a LL ND, too.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
From Institute of Traditional Medicine:

http://www.itmonline.org/kunzle/chap5.htm

Chapter Five: THE NATURE OF HERBS

I'm not sure this connects exactly where I had planned. See the left side menu for a wonderful assortment of information:

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/language-of-herbs

Excerpt from chapter "THE LANGUAGE OF HERBS"

UNDERSTANDING HERBS BY THE DISPENSING FORMS

Herbs come in many different forms. The most common are crude herbs, powders, dried decoctions, tinctures, capsules, gelcaps, salves, oils and teas. . . .
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement