LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Everything is causing me to itch!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Everything is causing me to itch!
tailfeathers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tailfeathers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No rash, no redness, what can it be? Sort of feels like 'pin prick' pains here and there that itch. I already have neuropathy, this is different. Doc doesn't feel it's candida.

Haven't started any new meds or supps or changed shampoo, detergents, etc. This is a new sx and I am at at loss. What can it possibly be? My doc says maybe babeisa. Body is producing histamine apparently. No real suggestions. Any feedback from others?

Posts: 394 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google "mast cell activation"... it can happen to Lyme patients.

You may need to lower your intake of foods high in histamine for awhile. Let your body recover.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailfeathers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tailfeathers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lymetoo - I know someone had posted what foods were high in histamine but I can't find it. I'll do a Google search I guess!
Posts: 394 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Histamine:
Managing your diet

The dynamism of the world of food means that there are constantly ongoing research projects which affect the way foods are perceived, received and accepted. We at HIT Awareness campaign plan to keep you updated with such modifications as they relate to food intolerances – in particular HIT.

By way of a reminder, the food list – or even any other food lists you will come across via different resources such as the internet – are ONLY to be viewed as a form of guidance, and not as authorities in themselves. This is because many HIT sufferers have to cope with multiple intolerances, such that commencing an elimination diet without a diagnosis by a doctor and consultation with a dietician is not advisable.

If you abide by this guidance, you should be able to notice a positive change after about 4 weeks of the elimination diet.

HIT sufferers have different thresholds, i.e. tolerance levels, so the next step after completing a successful elimination diet is to establish your threshold level, with the aim of gradually improving it over a period of time.

If you have ticked all the boxes up to this point, then we suppose it is safe to wish you the best towards a better quality of life.

■A food diary is essential!
It is important to eat foods that are low in histamine levels in accordance to your threshold. Please always remember that there is no such thing as an “histamine-free diet”!

Here are some general pointers:

■Avoid or reduce eating canned foods and ready meals
■Avoid or reduce eating ripened and fermented foods (older cheeses, alcoholic drinks, products containing yeast, stale fish)
■Histamine levels in foods vary, depending on how ripe, matured or hygienic the foods are
■As much as it is possible, only buy and eat fresh products
■Don’t allow foods to linger outside the refrigerator – especially meat products
■Ensure that your food preparation area (kitchen) is always kept clean – but don’t be manic!
■Everyone has their own threshold; you will need to find yours
■Consult a certified dietician about working out a balanced diet
■Learn to cook! It can be loads of fun once you get into it
Low histamine level foods:

■Fresh meat (cooled, frozen or fresh)
■Freshly caught fish
■Chicken (skinned and fresh)
■Egg yolk
■Fresh fruits – with the exception of strawberries, most fresh fruits are considered to have a low histamine level (also see histamine liberators below)
■Fresh vegetables – with the exception of tomatoes
■Grains – rice noodles, yeast free rye bread, rice crisp bread, oats, puffed rice crackers, millet flour, pasta (spelt and corn based)
■Fresh pasteurised milk and milk products
■Milk substitutes – coconut milk, rice milk
■Cream cheese, butter (without the histamine generating rancidity)
■Most cooking oils – check suitability before use
■Most leafy herbs – check suitability before use
■Most non-citric fruit juices
■Herbal teas – with the exception of those listed below
High histamine level foods:

■Alcohol
■Pickled or canned foods – sauerkrauts
■Matured cheeses
■Smoked meat products – salami, ham, sausages….
■Shellfish
■Beans and pulses – chickpeas, soy beans, peanuts
■Nuts – walnuts, cashew nuts
■Chocolates and other cocoa based products
■Most citric fruits
■Wheat based products
■Vinegar
■Ready meals
■Salty snacks, sweets with preservatives and artificial colourings
Histamine liberators:

■Most citric fruits – kiwi, lemon, lime, pineapple, plums…
■Cocoa and chocolate
■Nuts
■Papaya
■Beans and pulses
■Tomatoes
■Wheat germ
■Additives – benzoate, sulphites, nitrites, glutamate, food dyes
Diamine Oxidase (DAO) blockers:

■Alcohol
■Black tea
■Energy drinks
■Green tea
■Mate tea
Debatable:

■Yoghurt – depends on the bacteria culture used
■Egg white – it is a histamine liberator only when in its raw state
Other

■Yeast – even though it does not contain histamine as such, yeast serves as a catalyst for histamine generation during manufacture. There is no yeast in the end product.

http://www.histamineintolerance.org.uk/about/the-food-diary/the-food-list

----

Mast Cell Activation Disorder (MCAD), Chronic Illness, and its Role in Methylation

What do chronic illnesses such as Autism, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), Fibromyalgia Lupus, Chronic Lyme Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, Multiple Sclerosis, and more have in common? Well, these illnesses may have a lot of things in common, and a lot of overlapping symptoms, but many patients symptoms seem to be compatibled with Systemic Mast Cell Activation Disorder (MCAD).

So what is MCAD according to Mayo Clinic?

Systemic mastocytosis (mas-to-sy-TOE-sis) is a disorder caused by a genetic mutation that results in an excessive number of mast cells in your body. Mast cells normally help protect you from disease and aid in wound healing by releasing substances such as histamine and leukotrienes. But if you have systemic mastocytosis, excess mast cells can build up in your skin, around blood vessels, in your respiratory, gastrointestinal and urinary tracts, or in reproductive organs. When triggered, these mast cells release substances that can overwhelm your body and result in symptoms such as facial flushing, itching, a rapid heartbeat, abdominal cramps, lightheadedness or even loss of consciousness. Common triggers include alcohol, temperature changes, spicy foods and certain medications.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/systemic-mastocytosis/

A Slightly Better List of Triggers

The following “triggers” may influence a mast cell response: drug abuse, excessive alcoho consumption, preservatives, stress, sunlight, environmental toxins, bacteria/fungi/mold, artificial colors or flavorings, heat/cold, etc. Minimizing your exposure to these triggers may help redcuce you mastocytosis risk.

http://www.knowcancer.com/oncology/mastocytosis/

I know for a fact that many have trouble with one, many, or perhaps all of these triggers. From that list, I know alcohol, stress, sunlight, bacteria, mold, heat, and cold trigger my symptoms. The only thing I haven’t noticed as a trigger are artificial colors or flavoring, but maybe I am not paying close attention. Spicy food, which is not on this list can be another trigger for MCAD.

Mayo Clinic had a decent list at symptoms associated with Systemic Mastocytosis, but let’s look a little more in-depth of symptoms, since Systemic Mastocytosis has many of them.

The U.K. NHS has a pretty good list. The symptoms are a bit scattered throughout the article, so I’ll modify it a bit to make one complete list.

A Relatively Complete List of Associated Symptoms

◦hot flushing – described as a dry feeling of heat, rather than the sort of wet heat you experience when sweating
◦palpitations (irregular heartbeat)
◦lightheadedness
◦headache
◦shortness of breath
◦chest pain
◦nausea
◦diarrhoea
◦stomach pain caused by peptic ulcers
◦loss of appetite
◦weight loss
◦swelling of the liver, which can cause jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes) and make you feel lethargic
◦swelling of the spleen, which can cause abdominal (tummy) and shoulder pain
◦joint pain
◦swelling of the lymph nodes
◦weakness
◦fatigue
◦changes in mental state, such as confusion, irritability, poor attention span and impaired memory
◦urinary symptoms (needing to pass urine frequently, or pain when passing urine)
◦Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension)
◦dizziness
◦fainting (a sudden, temporary loss of consciousness)
◦blurred vision
◦general weakness

If you reach the state of anaphylaxis, you can even also have symptoms such as:

◦breathing difficulties
◦dizziness
◦swollen eyes, lips, genitals, hands, feet and other areas (called angio-oedema)
◦itchy skin or nettle rash (hives)
◦a strange metallic taste in the mouth
◦sore, red, itchy eyes
◦changes in heart rate
◦a sudden feeling of extreme anxiety
◦unconsciousness due to very low blood pressure
◦abdominal cramps, vomiting or diarrhoea
◦fever
While the NHS doesn’t mention hypertension, some patients may present with hypertension. Hyperadrenergic POTS can present in Mast Cell Activation Disorders. Hyperadrenergic POTS presents with orthostatic intolerance associated with an elevated heart rate (≥30 bpm within 5 minutes of standing) and hypertension (≥20 mm Hg increase in systolic blood pressure upon standing).

See Hyperadrenergic Postural Tachycardia Syndrome in Mast Cell Activation Disorders in the journal Hypertension.

Is There Research Connecting MCAD to Chronic Illness?

Ok, by now, you may be thinking, wow, I have many of the triggers and symptoms on this list, but is there research showing that this condition exists in various chronic illnesses? The answer to that question is yes. While there may not be a whole lot of research, Dr. Theoharides, the Director of the Molecular Immunopharmacology & Drug Discovery Laboratory, has put out quite a lot of research.

You can check out his huge amount of research here: http://www.mastcellmaster.com/publications.php

Treating Mast Cell Activation

While a lot of Dr. Theoharide’s research focuses on natural substances such as Luteolin for inhibiting mast-cell activation, and while he is the medical director of Algonot, it’s important to note that he receives no compensation from this company. I think it is important to note this fact because often when one has financial ties to companies or products, their research often becomes skewed or misleading. Algonot develops a supplement for MCAD called Neuroprotek that contains the bioflavonoids Luteolin, Quercetin, and Rutin.

There are pharmaceuticals for MCAD. Hydroxyzine preparations can be quite powerful, but usually require a prescription. Anecdotally, the combination of Zantac and Zyrtec (OTC at your local pharmacy) seems to work pretty well. Zyrtec is an H1 receptor inverse agonist and Zantac is a H2-receptor antagonist. However, even though these are over the counter, do not begin these medications without consulting with a qualified healthcare practitioner first.

Is MCAD connected to methylation?

This may be the million dollar question. There is not much information and MCAD and methylation, but I will end with a quote from the theory at mthfrheds.com.

MTHFR Polymorphism may be a predisposing factor to mast cell disease. 5-MTHF regulates biosynthesis of BH4. The A1298 mutation in the MTHFR enzyme effects the conversion of BH2 to BH4. Less amounts of BH4 inhibits NO formation resulting in increased mast cell degranulation. Inadequate BH4 formation also puts a strain on the conversion of tryptophan to serotonin and tyrosine to dopamine, leading to low levels of the neurotransmitters: dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin and melatonin.

Low blood serotonin levels help define a sub-group of patients with mastocytosis that are more likely to present with neurological and gastrointestinal complaints. Human mast cells can express and be activated through multiple serotonin receptors, and synthesize and release serotonin. Low blood serotonin levels in such patients may be the result of low BH4 levels due to 5-MTHF deficiency, the result of long-term malabsorption from chronic inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract or both, as is the case with me.

BH4 is a critical factor in cellular activities such as cell proliferation, cell cycle regulation and differentiation. Could BH4 deficiency secondary to MTHFR polymorphism be one of the fundamental mechanisms that underlie mast cell proliferation?

So the question I am left with is what substances should we try, or how do we modify our methylation protocol when it seems that MCAD may play a large role in the clinical picture. In the absence of improvement of MCAD type symptoms (without taking antihistamines or Luteolin-based supplements), would taking BH4 directly help? Is BH4 deficiency really the issue?

If anyone has any comments on how to address MCAD with methylation supplements, or if they have tried taking BH4 directly, please comment.

READ MORE> http://geneticgenie.org/blog/2013/01/31/mast-cell-activation-disorder-mcad-chronic-illness-and-its-role-in-methylation/

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Itching can also be a symptom of liver or gallbladder problems... Be sure to have all the basics checks.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info, Steve!!

---and itching can be from liver problems---

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Good info, Steve!!

---and itching can be from liver problems---

Good info here also:

http://thelowhistaminechef.com/

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

tailfeathers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39328

Oh my - such detailed and amazing information Steve, will have to read through this carefully as I am done for the evening. I am more familiar than I thought with the 'Low Histamine Diet' though I see a couple of things that might be triggering this..kinda like individual detective work.

Yes, I did discuss the liver/gallbladder/kidney issues w/ my LLMD but he ruled it out since my labs were good. I'm not so sure though since I just finished 8 mths of difficult IV tx and I'm sure I'm full of toxins, yeast and who knows what else.

Lymetoo- such great info from Steve, someone should make a special 'sticky' out of that info and keep it at the top.

tailfeathers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39328

Addendum to the above: what are 'Histamine liberators'?
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Histamine liberators encourage the release of stored histamine from the various cells around the body... --from http://thatpaleoguy.com/2011/04/11/histamine-intolerance/

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by tailfeathers:
Addendum to the above: what are 'Histamine liberators'?

-
Razzle is correct... I believe it's the same as a "mast cell degranulator" ... they release histamine into the cells.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possible LIVER ,

Test for Hepatitis and others.

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One question and one suggestion

Question -- are you taking any kind of narcotic pain killer or narcotic-like painkiller? (tramadol, etc.) Those can cause itching and it can be intermittent -- so, even if you've taken them for a long time, the itching effect could be due to them. This has happened to me -- sometimes I itch, sometimes I don't.

My old LLNP said a lot of us with Lyme produce histamine as a result of herxing, too ... and yeast die-off can also be a part of the picture.

One thing that REALLY helps --- baking soda! Mix baking soda and water together to make a thin paste, and rub all over anything that is itching. It calms the itch right down. I learned that here on the board, and I am so grateful to whomever posted that suggestion --- it's a lifesaver when I'm itching head to toe.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement