LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Kids with Bartonella and rash streaks??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kids with Bartonella and rash streaks??
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Anissahope4healing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone!

My oldest son who is 10 yrs old is being treated for a positive Babesia Duncani, Borrelia, and Strep.

He got these red scratch looking streaks, scratches? in his under arm and some showed up on his side.

His LLMD asked if they were still there and I said that the ones under his arm have disappeared, but the ones on his side still are there.

Since the streaks under his arm disappeared, the LLMD doesn't think he has Bartonella.

But I am confused because I have Bartonella and I never had the red streaks...or I just never noticed them.

I do have the tiny blood red dots all over from my Babesia.

Can you please share any information or knowledge you may have regarding Bartonella in children, symptoms, DS also has PANDAs...very high strep counts.

Also, if your child did have a rash or streaks and you took a picture of it, can you please PM me-and I understand for privacy reasons for you to crop your child's face out.

I am so upset with myself, that I didn't take the picture under his arm right when I saw it. It was literally in his arm pit, so it was a difficult area to see even in the summer. I just happened to notice it when he was changing shirts. Ugh! Lesson learned...don't wait..because I will forget. [bonk]

Then I can send you my email and have you send me any pictures of rashes that you may have. Searching on the internet with grown up pictures, it looks similar to my DS. And I thought that the rashes can go away even if you still have Bart?

So, I am a bit confused and am not sure I agree with his LLMD on this one. I do love his doctor very much, but I knew I had to ask around and see what any of you may be familiar with and have knowledge about.

Thank you in advance!

Posts: 167 | From Southeast Tennessee/Chattanooga/Atlanta | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are some of his symptoms?

Bartonella is very common in children with PANDAS/ PANS,
some think it's the root. Then strep gets caught, the body/ brain come tumbling down.

FWIW, I had a high positive Bartonella test, and never any red streak scratch marks. Just like people who don't see a bullseye rash, these skin markings are not necessary for diagnosis.

If you google for Bartonella rash pictures, you will find many.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anissahope4healing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which lab did you get your Bartonella test from? I hear some people are having good luck with LabCorp.

MY DS gets terrible headaches, major anxiety, very hard to make simple decisions at times, mood swings, he has trouble thinking at times, has moments of anger and agitation, especially with his little brother, and he is a super sweet boy.

What were you treated with and are you better?

Thank you so much for responding.

Posts: 167 | From Southeast Tennessee/Chattanooga/Atlanta | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds a LOT like Bartonella.

For kids, a popular combo is Azithromycin and Rifampin,
Biaxin and Rifampin, etc. since he had other infections at play, there are a lot of combo combinations that could treat.

Do you have a good LLMD?
Are you on any PANDAS/ Lyme boards?
There are some excellent ones with extremely knowledgable mothers with vast experience.

I am actually a lot better after LLMD treatment, now working on gut health, and taking herbs.

My daughter has PANS/ Lyme and co., currently back in treatment, and we are quickly making gains again.
Not easy at all with the children----- lots of detox required,
and complex.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Anissa:

Our daughter has been tested for Bart 14 times over the past 4+ years.

Results were always negative until last October when Quest was positive and IgeneX was negative.

Then this may Quest was back to negative but IgeneX came in positive.

I have us testing her 11 times for Bart with the last 5 times sending to both labs (from same blood draw).

Just shows you can't rely on the testing.

Initially (during the first 2 years) we didn't treat for Bart thinking it was only Borrelia and Babs. Then the rash started to show up a year ago April.

Good luck.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Anissahope4healing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback Surprise, Tim.

Surprise, I am thrilled to hear the good news regarding your daughter and yourself! That is a great praise report! It gives me hope.

We have a younger son who still needs to start from the beginning of the very first tests, so I am dreading that, but we know how vital it is to treat ASAP. He is six years old.

And I will check out the PANDAS BOARDS. I have been on them before and read a lot of helpful information.

Tim, what did your daughter's rash look like? It's sad but not surprising that you had all of those tests ran on her for Bartonella and they came back negative for years and then the labs started to flip flop the negative and positive.

I know they are finding many more Bartonella species...maybe they are using them in the labs...wishful thinking. But I am so happy for your family that she finally got a positive. [woohoo]

oh, and if you get a chance please let me know what her rash looks like and how long it took her for the rash to show up.

MY son's didn't show until well after a year of starting his first oral med and then in Oct his LLMD added two others for his Babesia Duncani...so, 7 months later, red streaks.

Did your daughter's stay or fade after awhile?

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anissa-when I relapsed I got bart streaks bigtime.

Obviously I'm not a kid, lol, but I took a pic if you want me to send it.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anissahope4healing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Greta, that would be great. I can PM you my email address. I don't know if you can send pictures through PMs. Pls let me know.

Do you have them in the same area? Or are they in different areas on your body?

As I was looking on the internet some of the Bart rashes looked similar and some were very different.

I just know that (you know that feeling in your gut) there is something we are missing and I wonder if it is Bart.

And although I like our doctor and respect him, I know that there isn't any doctor that knows everything (even though they think they do).

So, I have come to the conclusion after lots of researching that if my son's rash streaks disappeared on one area of his body, it isn't an indication that he for sure does not have Bartonella.

Our ped doctor thinks that if a rash disappears that it is absolutely not Bart. But there is so much evidence to show there are many people

and children who had Bart rashes show up one day and then gone the next. And then others whose Bart rashes stay a very long time.

Sorry that my lines are so long. I'll go back and separate them for you.

I hope you are well and enjoying beautiful weather in Canada. Thank you for always be such a giving and lovely support for so many of us. Hugs to you from hot and muggy Tennessee. :group hug:

I forgot one thing. Why did you relapse? And what was effective for you and for how long to get rid of Bart. Thank you sweet Greta!

LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANISSA! your mailbox is full. I hope you see this message. I would like to reply to you.

[Smile]

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement