LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can you have no coinfections?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you have no coinfections?
Pika
Member # 38414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pika     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc has not figured out my coinfections.

He just ran another IGenex on me and my titers have not gone down after six months plus on doxy, so he is switching me to azithromycin. He's also adding in Spiranil (teasel). So I will be taking azithromycin, Spiranil, Samento, Banderol, and another herbal one called Biotox Elim.

He thinks maybe Bartonella but not Babesia. I tested negative on coinfection tests but aren't they about as reliable as Lyme tests?

--------------------
Went through five years of hell because an IDSA doc ignored a CDC-positive Western blot in 2009. Started Lyme treatment in early 2014. Trying to wrap my foggy brain around the intricacies of this disease. I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Posts: 30 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, unfortunately there are more strains of bartonella and babesia than the tests are designed to pick up. Some labs are better than others, but still probably some strains are yet to be discovered. As a result, people can have the disease and test negative. Sometimes symptoms can help shed some light, but again there is some overlap.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It happens, but not that often.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treatment with doxy alone is lousy lyme treatment. You need at least 2 dissimilar antibiotics to kill lyme.

Lyme is smart enough to know how to evade just one antibiotic. So, for example, in the presence of doxy it turns into the cyst form which doxy cannot kill.

Treatment with azith alone will be no better. It is called monotherapy when the patient is on only one antibiotic at a time. The other things you have named are not antibiotics.

Sounds to me like you need a better lyme doctor. And, you would do well to read and STUDY the Burrascano lyme treatment guidelines found here:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

See page 12, "Combination Therapy" for Dr. Burrascano's explanation of the need to have the patient take at least 2 antibiotics simultaneously to defeat lyme disease.

Also, in the last few years, Dr. Burrascano has said at lyme conferences that if a person has had lyme for at least a year, then they definitely have coinfections 100% of the time.

The coinfections work together to help the lyme remain in the body. So, the best lyme doctors automatically treat all lyme patients for lyme, babesiosis, and bartonella. These are known as "the big 3" since they are present in nearly every lyme patient who has been sick at least 1 year.

As you will read in Burrascano, the coinfection tests leave a lot to be desired since they cannot test for all of the strains that exist, plus other shortcomings.

I suggest you study the symptoms of babs and bart and make a list of any that you have. See pages 22-27. And, a short summary is available at page 26.

Be very thoughtful and observant of your symptoms to help come up with your coinfection diagnosis.

Sometimes, however, until you have gotten rid of the lyme, the coinfections do not manifest.

There is just no substitute for an educated patient when it comes to this disease. It will save you time and money and help you get to wellness a lot sooner.

I had undiagnosed lyme disease for at least 10 years before a doctor thought to test me for lyme. Still, by switching to a doctor who followed the Burrascano protocol (high-dose combinations of antibiotics, treating all coinfections, etc.) I was able to get rid of this horrible disease.

I have been cured of lyme, babs, and bart for over 9 years now. I stick around LymeNet just to help others evaluate their treatment and get to the doctors who are getting people well.

This is what I have learned in my 13 years of being involved with this disease: Many doctors treat lyme disease, but only a very few know enough to get rid of it for a person. Your job is to find one of these few doctors.

Wish you the best. I will be glad to help you any way I can.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tbrown2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tf have a question for you. I read dr. Bs guidelines but I'm at sort of a stand still. I used to take 400mg of doxy a day with

other things but since I only have one symptom left that happens to be neuro my LLMD switched me to minocycline

which she said is better on many different levels...however... I cannot tolerate more than 200mg of mino every time I try to

increase it I get incredibly dizzy so my LLMD said just stay at 200mg. Curios if I should switch back to doxy because I can handle higher dosages. I also take bactrim ds and tindazole

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
Co infections? Who knows...
Bands 18+ 30+39+41+45+58+66+ IGG
23+39+41+IGM

Posts: 351 | From Boston MA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF, as always, I learn lots from reading what you post. But one difference here from what Dr B says - I was bitten in 1981 and I believe I have only Lyme, no co's, so not every Lyme patient has co-infections. Maybe more so now because perhaps the ticks have more in them now.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cappuccinolatte
Member # 44142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cappuccinolatte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting. I'm not sure how long I've had Lyme, but suspect at least 2 years. I was tested with no co infections or other tick borne illnesses. I'm not sure how many co infections do exist (maybe someone can educate me) but my blood work just showed CDC positive for Lyme. I was also super low on my CD 57.
Posts: 1 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement