LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » When is it time to come off abx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When is it time to come off abx?
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tbrown2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone

So after reaching a plateau for a few months with progress I
did an experiment last week when I went on vacation. I didn't

take any antibiotics for 5 days but continued with my supplements. I had a great week, plenty of energy, plenty of

sleep, indulged in good foods, did sports activities all day, and even dared to have a few beers. Felt great like I didn't even

know I was sick. Then one more day before work I still didn't take my abx.

Come Monday I started abx fine with no problems, Tuesday was eh, Wednesday I started to feel gross and toxic again and

now today I'm like ok I never want to see abx again. Because I only have one symptom maybe one and a half left I feel like

this decline is NOT due to a herx but is due to the actual side effects of abx themselves and my body just saying no more.

My LLMD wants to pull me from abx in September but I fell like I'm done now. Maybe come off abx and switch to samento and banderol? What do you guys think?

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
Co infections? Who knows...
Bands 18+ 30+39+41+45+58+66+ IGG
23+39+41+IGM

Posts: 351 | From Boston MA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stick with your ab x until Sept, like your LL says.

My doc said the same thing, likes the symptoms to be gone for two months before stopping abx.

Dr B also says to treat after symptoms are gone to avoid relapse.

I know it is hard-i quit abx for financial reasons about two months ago.

My symptoms were about 75% gone.

My doc didn't want me to because I wasn't yet symptom free for two months. But I had to.

Now they are slowly creeping back.

You don't want them to creep back. It is sad place to be.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinnick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twinnick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tbrown2,

I understand your situation....

Sometimes I wonder if some of my feeling 'blah' are side effects from the abx?

Everyone says there are solo many side effects from taking ABX. They can really be anything... Yet, whenever someone says they are feeling "X"...we are quick to dismiss it as a herx...

I too have gone on vacations where I have taken breaks from my ABX and feel 'normal' just to return home and go back on them. I go from feeling 100% off of them, to about 90-95% while on them. People will tell me, "the abx are killing the buggers and thats why you are feeling like this..." ....I wonder sometimes if it is really side effects from the ABX.

That said...you said you have one..one and a half sx left? I will say you have two, because I don't know how you have a 'half' symptom. LOL. For that reason I would remain on ABX till September and speak to your LLMD regarding those symptoms. Good Luck! Sounds like Remission is right around the corner!

Posts: 153 | From Midwest | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tbrown2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one and a half symptoms I have left are image processing slowness and anxiety. I consider anxiety as a half of a

symptom because it's due to elevated cortisol levels so I can't blame Lyme entirely.

I think it's a reaction to the medicine and not a herx because when I'm off my medicine my image processing starts to come

back but then on my medicine I feel like the minocycline makes me dizzy sluggish and cloudy headed. I just don't want

to be doing more harm for no reason especially when I feel so much better off abx

[ 07-25-2014, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Tbrown2 ]

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Posts: 351 | From Boston MA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Also I know nothing about samento and banderol

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am no dr, but when I went off abx I felt way better, but I wasn't on what was helping me really , I think.

I had also started a new treatment with a new dr at that time- all herbals. he said it was up to me to stop abx and I stayed on them a few more months until I was almost out of them

I was on doxy and bactrim I think at that time. I was very sick with GI issues.

I couldn't afford IV, so maybe that would have been better for me?

did you say why your dr said to wait until Sept? I missed that. what would be the reason?

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

It'll be one full year of treatment and I'm going into the police academy and don't want to have to answer questions about why I'm on so many abx

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever have a liver CT scan?

Even IF liver enzymes are okay.

The scan can pick up problems....steatosis = "fatty liver" which can be corrected.

There are ways to speed up brain processing such as this free "game" played on the internet:

http://www.wikihow.com/Increase-Your-Brain's-Processing-Speed

The above is brain re-training/exercise after an "insult".

A friend of mine went thru vision training (using her computer) after a stroke that impacted her vision.

It is working...slowly.

Anxiety is tied into GABA levels (low). GABA needs a B6 dependent enzyme called GAD to be made.

Glutamate (via B6 dependent GAD) -> GABA.

Consider trying Now Brand P5P - the active form of B6. That brand ***contains B2 (which helps us absorb B6) and Mg.*** 50mg daily = 1 a day.

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-P-5-P-Co-Enzyme-Catalyst-Tabs/dp/B000CC4FF2

From Mayo:

For anxiety, 50 milligrams of vitamin B6 has been taken by mouth daily with magnesium.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/vitamin-b6/dosing/hrb-20058788

Wishing you much success in your new career!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never a big abx person, but I did do 3 or 4 different meds throughout the years. I was in the same boat as you, maybe a little worse.

I stopped all meds and never got any worse, maybe a little better.

Myself, I would rather be 85/90% normal than take meds for endless years with no benefit.

This is a personal opinion of my own, in the end, we all have to make our own decisions.

good luck in the police academy!

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Marnie I take a bunch of nueroscience products to help correct the anxiety/cortisol issue which have those ingredients in them such as travacor, calm cp, excita plus, and mentalast.

The reason I think it's the abx making me feel sick is because off abx I have one symptom which is a slow healing thing anyway. On abx I have a few symptoms that I don't feel like are herxs or an increase in symptoms because they don't exist when I'm off abx

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Update: day 5 back on abx feel like garbage. Slept like crap, no energy yet to anxious to relax. Something's up..

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just guessing here, but maybe the improvement you felt was because you treated? I think it is normal to feel worse when you restart the meds. Maybe you still have some bugs left to get? Time will tell.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Who's knows. Either going to stop abx again or fight through just having trouble commiting to one

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stick with it as long as you can. Don't risk a relapse and letting the ketes get a foothold.

If you must, stop before you go to the police academy, if you don't want to answer questions about abx but take them as long as you can, then switch to herbals.

What if you stay off and then have a huge set back before September. Is that a risk you want to take?

Rule of thumb generally is to stay on abx three to four months after being completely symptom free and even that does not guarantee that symptoms won't return.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Forgot that I was supposed to be taking cholesteramine, last night couldn't sleep due to that anxiety feeling ending up taking some then slept like a baby. Maybe I have a detox problem...

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone with TBI's has a detox problem. Glad it helped you.

Detox is super important.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Good to hear from you again abxnomore wish it was better news to tell you however. But thank you for the advice as it is always appreciated

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with staying on as long as you can. But I also know when you get to that point that you say I'm done! My recent theory is abx make you feel better (except for cyclical Herx) until you've taken them too long or too much.

I wouldn't worry too much about explaining to the police academy. You just say I am at the end of my Lyme treatment.

I have to say, i have rarely gotten push back here in Massachusetts. I think we are luckier than most.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

I got denied from TSA after a 3 month employment process because I told the doctor who did my medical examination that I had Lyme. He said how long have you been treating I said 6 months and he said oh so you have chronic Lyme. Next thing I know I get a rejection letter in the mail so not taking any chances this time.

As far knowing when I've been taking abx for too long do you think my feeling Bette after taking Cholesteramine is
Due to needing to come off abx or needing to stay on. I'm thinking it either swept up Lyme debre or swept up abx toxins that I just don't need in my body anymore?? Million dollar question

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch. Sorry to hear about the TSA. Million dollar question is right. But sounds like you are doing well... So I would trust your llmd if you can stand it. September is just around the corner (sadly... I hate winter)
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

It most probably swept up Lyme debris, you have a tremendous amount of die off going on and the body needs help in eliminating it.

Try upping your detox protocol. It may speed things along.

It's nice to know that the TSA knows about chronic lyme, but 90% of our doctors don't!

Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Any suggestions as to what else to take to detox ? Already take cholesteramine x2 a day and even have to wake up in the middle of the night to take it as there isn't enough time in the day to take all this stuff. I Also drink lemon water all day and drink the occasional pinella tincture

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had plateau'd- I couldn't take one more abx. I went off and felt crappy for a month. Then slowly, I started feeling better- off 6 months now- feel much better!!
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

That's interesting Beths. Seems like it's a split decision between everyone

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Update. After two days of double dose cholesteramine I feel fantastic again. It was clearly a detox issue. However it gives me crazy heart burn so I'm looking for an alternative. I just ordered some burbur see how that goes

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

norcal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been of abx now for three weeks,feeling good.

I am trying to not take then anymore (5 years on and off).

I have been taking large quantities of Green Dragon LB core instead.

I think we need to listen to our docs but also use our own judgement to custom tailor our treatment protocols.

It is maddening the extent of layers of how lyme and co's effect our lives.
Great news on the cloresteramine working!
I have and will recommend herbs before abx.

Posts: 342 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement