LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Diet for Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diet for Lyme
Nclymegirl
Member # 43908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nclymegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been put on a no sugar, no gluten, no egg, no dairy, no soy diet for the next 3 weeks.

I have made it 6 days but it is killing me. I have had a severe headache for the last 6 days and I know it is withdrawals but would have thought it would have gotten better.

I have not had a headache in over a year. My diet is suppose to consist of raw veggitables, nuts, rice, fish all natural foods. The problem is I have crowns so nuts and rice and to many raw vegetatables effect my stomach. Plus I'm allergic to fish.

My question is has anyone else been put on a similar diet. Any suggestions of good foods to eat. I have maintained my weight with the crowns. But in the last 6 days I have lost weight and inches that I cannot afford.

Posts: 13 | From North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, hopefully you are allowed to lightly cook the vegetables. I don't see why you would not be able to do that.

Avocados are high in calories. If you like guacamole, mix up some of that. Or, just eat the avocadoes with a little italian salad dressing, or plain.

Nuts are high calorie, so load up on them. If you are also allowed to eat seeds, then you can eat sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc. also. They are also high calorie.

Quinoa is also a seed, so perhaps you can eat it. If you cook whole quinoa, it can take the place of a grain or rice.

I like to lightly steam vegetables. Or, lightly fry them in a little olive oil with some garlic. You can do spinach that way. Or, thinly slice scallopini squash and fry it in olive oil. Very good.

The oil adds calories which will help you maintain your weight.

Perhaps you can get more ideas from the Body Ecology Diet website. This site is for folks who have candida and so cannot eat any sugar, fruit, flour, etc. It is here:

bodyecology.com

When I was treating lyme and I was on the yeast control diet, I made the quinoa flake porridge in large batches and ate some for breakfast each day. Here is the recipe:

http://bodyecology.com/recipes/porridge.php

If you look at the Burrascano yeast control diet, you will see that it forbids all sugar, fruit (except lemons and limes), flour, grains, and starchy vegetables (potatoes, corn). But, dairy is allowed.

It is on page 34:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

This is the diet I ate for well over a year. I ate mostly meat and non-starchy vegetables (no potatoes, no corn).

This diet helps to prevent candida (yeast or thrush) when on high-dose, long-term antibiotics.

I initially lost a little weight on this diet, but then lost no more. It is tough at first until you get a variety of foods that you can eat.

I ate all meats of any kind. And, raw and cooked vegetables. Food can be sweetened with stevia, which is a plant but it is not sugar.

Do you know why you are only allowed fish and only raw vegetables?

What is the purpose of this diet?

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
TF has great ideas and I want to say "ditto" -
Lightly steamed vegetables are MUCH better for your stomach, easier to digest.

Just lightly steam or sauté in just a tiny bit of coconut or avocado oil.

Raw vegetables can be a very hard stress for the liver that is already stressed, too, if that is the only way you'd be eating all of them. A little bit raw, of what you can, like salad, should be fine, though as it's easier to digest.

Olive oil is best not to get too hot but drizzle on as serving holds the nutrients better. (Then, though, coconut may not mix with flavor, you'd want to sauté with avocado oil or other).

BLACK, or RED RICE is also very nice, in addition to QUINOA (as mentioned above).

I've eaten for many years, decades, even, avoiding most of what you list. And you may well be able to bring back eggs and even organic tofu, later on.

Just learned that Soy has gotten a bad rap. Only those who are iodine deficient or allergic, or sensitive need to avoid it. But that's for another day.

This avoidance diet will help in the long run as you add back in a few things.

Doing without gluten and dairy has helped me so much. I'll never go back. Staying away helps me gut, pain and my brain. And dairy caused so much sinus blockage I'm glad to breathe again.

If you have good blender you can make nut milk with "softer" nuts like walnuts / pecans. You can add in veggies / dark berries, too.

There are many ways to eat and enjoy delicious foods. Garden herbs, certain spices . . . sauté an onion and garlic and you're on the way to being a gourmet chef in your own kitchen.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The Beverage Cart:

STEVIA (SweetLeaf Stevia CLEAR Drops are okay) -- and LEMONs or LIMES . . . GREEN TEA . . . HIBISCUS TEA can add to your enjoyment, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nclymegirl
Member # 43908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nclymegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look for the foods my problem is also where I live does not carry a good variety if any for even gluten free. I will look at the websites and see what I can find.

Thanks for all of your input.

Posts: 13 | From North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree... definitely steam those vegetables. Quinoa is a great choice. It's expensive, but a little goes a long way.

Vitacost and Swanson's both carry GF foods.

www.vitacost.com

www.swansonsvitamins.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Quinoa requires rinsing well first. I made a big mistake the first time. It all fell right through the sieve into the sink. I was flustered.

So . . . be sure you have a fine weave sieve / strainer. Where ever you buy your quinoa (or where they carry it, even if you buy on line) ask a clerk to show you one that will work (or take yours in for them to see).

VitaCost is great. They also carry the Lotus Foods BLACK (Chinese Forbidden) RICE and the RED BHUTANESE RICE.

A little also goes a long way . . . always best with protein, veggies and good oil. It's a very complex carb and very well balanced on the glycemix index, still, best not to eat it alone.

Even the complex carbohydrates (anything that is grown) . . . are best with protein and fat, so that all 3 food groups work together.

Veggies should take more space (about half) on your plate as you figure out portions.
-

Phoiph
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bone broths were crucial to my recovery:

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/broth-is-beautiful/

It is also very important to soak most nuts (raw) overnight and dry in a warm oven to remove phytic acid. This should be done when used for nut milks, etc., as well....

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/living-with-phytic-acid/

Recipes for nuts and bone broths, etc., can be found in this cookbook:

http://www.westonaprice.org/book-reviews/nourishing-traditions-by-sally-fallon-and-mary-enig/

Posts: 1885 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beck
Member # 43653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smoothies are quick and easy and they taste good, too. I have one almost everyday, usually a strawberry, blueberry, peach with coconut milk or a peanut butter and banana with coconut milk.

I add a scoop of Jarrow Optimal Plant Proteins powder to add some extra nutrients. It is a complete protein from vegetable sources, so no gluten, dairy, soy, etc.

Sometimes I add a tablespoon of oats to the smoothie before blending to make it a little more filling. You can even add some avocado or olive oil or coconut oil to get some healthy fats.

There are hundreds of different recipes out there.

You could also try juicing. That is a great way to eat raw veggies.

Posts: 91 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement