LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Our dog finally diagnosed with...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Our dog finally diagnosed with...
twdc33
Member # 44477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twdc33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our dog sammie has Lyme's and I have a few general questions. We live in the south and doctors nor vets really know how to deal. It took us 3 vets and almost 2k in tests before someone finally got enough of a positive test to Rx doxy. She has been on that for about 5 weeks. At first, she herxed but no one knew what that was and she almost died. Quit eating and drinking. We had to give her sustenance with a syringe. Now she is much better but.
1. I have started her 1 drop off cats claw per day. Could that make her joints stiff again?

2. Is it OK that I am giving her this with the doxy? I know you are not vets but I have read the sametto is very good for dogs as well.

Is there a guideline on when to take her off the doxy? Can people get permanent joint problems in just a few months? It took us about 3 months to get her treated. Thanks for any thoughts or experience you may have.

TW

--------------------
Tw

Posts: 6 | From asheville, nc | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The protocol for dogs is vwery different than for humans. I personally would not be giving my dog cats claw or samento without my vet advising me to do so. You could end up doing more harm than good.

Many meds/supplements, herbs etc that are safe for humans are not for animals.

Often dogs seem to revoer from lyme much easier than people. One of my dogs was diagnosed 2 years ago after suddenly becoming lame. She was positive for erlichia and was given doxy. She took awhile to respond and I was worried we would lose her. I was giving the doxy in a piece of chesse prior to realizing that the dairy could be interfering with the med. She did respond and got better.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zyflamend is a great anti-inflammatory (I've been taking it for many years), and many vets are giving it to dogs now that suffer from inflammatory joint pain. I brought it to the attention of my vet, and after researching more on the vet boards, he uses it in his practice. Just do NOT combine it with any aspirin or prescription anti-inflammatories.

I'd discuss the cats claw with your vet before giving it to him.

But definitely check out Zyflamend by New Chapter. You can get it pretty much at most vitamin/health stores, and zillions of places on the internet.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If YOU have any symptoms for Lyme, be SURE to get yourself checked. Many who have pets with Lyme also have it themselves.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ellen101:
The protocol for dogs is vwery different than for humans. I personally would not be giving my dog cats claw or samento without my vet advising me to do so. You could end up doing more harm than good.

Many meds/supplements, herbs etc that are safe for humans are not for animals.

I agree! Some things that are fine for humans are deadly for animals. Always check with your vet.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking into a herbal protocol for my dog. Either he keeps getting bit or he is relapsing, and at this point he can't tolerate doxy.

While you should check with your vet, I did find this written by Buhner

http://buhnerhealinglyme.com/herbs/lyme-prevention-in-dogs/

I have also read about people giving it to their horses.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't give the pet any herbals. A lot of them are poison to dogs, but fine for humans. I'd consult a vet who specializes in herbals before giving the dog any if you want to go that route.

Also, it will be difficult to clearly gauge how the dog is reacting to the medications.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twdc33
Member # 44477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twdc33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the tips. I have already researched the use of cats claw in dogs. Everyone keeps saying to consult the vet but we have been to three and none in this area are familiar with Lyme's. Our current vet, the best one we could find did not even know about herx rxns.
Terv, I will check out your link. Thanks.

--------------------
Tw

Posts: 6 | From asheville, nc | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Natural *or* Rx? Pick one OR the other.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/a-homeopathic-protocol-for-lyme-disease/

Dog owners...there is a lyme vaccine for dogs available.

For horses...Gallium Nitrate from George Eby (who "discovered" zinc and vitamin C for colds and is a BIG Mg promoter)

Google this:

Gallium nitrate George Eby

Or this:

Gallium nitrate lyme

Topical!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twdc33
Member # 44477

Vaccine is not helpful once they get the DX.

--------------------
Tw

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the vaccine or monthly tick treatments (Frontline/K-9 Advantix et al.) can help PREVENT lyme transmission, but what about...

Bartonella (in fleas!)...It is an emerging problem in dogs too....so heads up as it also can trigger seizures, etc.

Frontline and fleas:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pets/msg1221102416295.html?14

It is my understanding that Frontline works by blocking the chloride channels IN THE TICKS and this destroys Bb IN THE TICKS. We CAN NOT do the same in humans!

I linked you to some homeopathic meds for your dog's lyme which maybe the "safest" route to go.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some info. It looks like Omega 3s may help with the joints.

Is your dog taking probiotics?

There's a Q & A section at the bottom.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/education/lyme-disease-treatment-dog-cat-17.htm

More info:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=1588

I hope your doggy feels better soon.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dog has chronic Lyme and history of anaplasmosis. 58lb. Golden retriever - 400 mg.,s day of Doxy and now pulses two weeks on/two weeks off. Has never herxed and drastic change in 24-48 hours of taking Doxy. Has had Lyme for 8 years.
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I now prefer Advantix II over Frontline. Advantix II also repels. When my dog was on Frontline we kept finding dead ticks in the house. Since switching aren't finding them.

Advantix II cannot be used on cats.

Interesting article on leedum which is mentioned in Marnie's link:

http://cassia.org/ledum.htm

Sent you a PM.

[ 08-28-2014, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: terv ]

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another article on ledum.

http://www.saveadog.org/Documents/YourPetsAndLymeDisease.pdf

Can you find a holistic vet?

Be careful with herbs... Tea tree oil even topically can cause seizures in dogs... So I would really check the cats claw.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dog had lyme and babesia. Died from it.

Had vaccine two years prior. Also used revolution every month which is a topical liquid for parasites and fleas.

Still contracted lyme and babesia. Her spleen was so enlarged and her heart had growth on it in the end days. It was very fast.

About two weeks from time of first symptom to when she needed to be euthanized.

It is important to know the vaccine is NOT for ALL THE STRAINS.

Vets don't tell us that.

Best friends get sick and die.

Glad you got some abx for your pooch.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Our dog (Bichon) had to switch from Frontline to Advantix also...really went nuts with Frontline.

For joint inflammation in dogs, this works wonders:

Missing Link.

= Omega's.

Holistic pet stores carry it. You just sprinkle a little on their food and they love it. I keep it in the fridge.

As far as a "multiple vitamin-mineral" for dogs...
"Bentley" loves NuVet Plus. Because of his weight (only 14 pounds), he gets 1/2 tablet daily.

It isn't cheap, but we love our dog...

He thinks they are a treat and runs for them before eating his breakfast and dinner when they are next to his food bowl.

Our last dog (*at age 12* also a Bichon) died of CHF = congestive heart failure after multiple vaccines were given

the same day.

Older dogs' immune system defense is less and they, like us, need to react to the vaccines. Too many, not spaced out = disaster.

Another vet tried to reverse the CHF, with steroids, but it was too late.

Lesson learned...as dogs age, we need to back off the vaccines (Rabies is the exception), but this is hard to do if you need to board a dog on occasion.

Ledum looks to work very similar to Berberine HCL (can't be given to dogs).

It protects the liver AND is anti-cancerous.

It inhibits NO (berberine inhibits iNOS, but upregulates eNOS.

Big difference.

Good link (she looks like a nice, caring person!):

http://www.camdenwholehealth.com/2013/05/ledum-lyme-prevention-in-your-pocket/

Good find, Kudzuslipper !

I'm going to tell my vet about it.

Judie
Member # 38323

Maybe there's a vet in another area who knows about Lyme.

There are some pet med sites at the bottom of this page. Maybe someone at one of these can help with more resources to make sure you're doing the best treatment.

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/help-for-you/medications

twdc33
Member # 44477

I would like to thank everyone for all the great information that you have taken the time to post for me and Sammie. I have been traveling and have not had access to my password, so there has been a delay in my ability to respond to your posts.

Thanks again and if you have any further thoughts let us know. Currently we are seeking a vet who has a lot of experience with Lyme's in dogs who might be willing to have a phone consultation with our current vet. If you know a vet who might be considered an "expert" or someone who has handled cases routinely, please let us know.

Currently Sammie seems to be feeling better, but after she has been resting, she cannot get up easily at all and when she tries to walk, she can barely move her back legs. Then, once she gets going, she seems to be much better. I just don't know if this is typical for Lymes or if she has some type of joint problem now from the infection. It could also just be typical of the dx? Thanks again for you support and best to all of you in your healing.

--------------------
Tw

twdc33
Member # 44477

I would like to thank everyone for all the great information that you have taken the time to post for me and Sammie. I have been traveling and have not had access to my password, so there has been a delay in my ability to respond to your posts.

Thanks again and if you have any further thoughts let us know. Currently we are seeking a vet who has a lot of experience with Lyme's in dogs who might be willing to have a phone consultation with our current vet. If you know a vet who might be considered an "expert" or someone who has handled cases routinely, please let us know.

Currently Sammie seems to be feeling better, but after she has been resting, she cannot get up easily at all and when she tries to walk, she can barely move her back legs. Then, once she gets going, she seems to be much better. I just don't know if this is typical for Lymes or if she has some type of joint problem now from the infection. It could also just be typical of the dx? Thanks again for you support and best to all of you in your healing.

--------------------
Tw

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement