LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Neg. babs. & bart. blood smear test question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neg. babs. & bart. blood smear test question
Mvdr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mvdr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I started with the new LLMD in Maryland and he had me order more tests. The Lyme tests are done through Stonybrook which were indetermenent. The blood smear was for babs and bart and they were negative.

Is the blood smear thought to be accurate?

One of the worst symptoms for me is chronic migraine. I know that's a bartonella symptom. I'm really surprised the smear is negative. Thanks for your input.

Posts: 143 | From Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blood smears require a very good tech to read them, and if they don't look at many fields or do more than one smear, the results can come back false negative.

Not to say you have babs or bart, but one smear may not determine it. And really, there ought to be more than one kind of testing used. Have you had antibody tests for babs also?

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A single smear can miss it, especially if you don't spend a long enough time with it. At times it becomes necessary to perform multiple smears and is best done on different times or days.

One can have both ends of the spectrum, where there are very few symptoms and very little bacteria, and also blood that is loaded with bacteria, yet producing very little symptoms.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mvdr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mvdr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uggg! I don't know how good the tech is at the Dr.'s office where it was done.

Poppy, the other test I had was through Labcorp. which was also negative.

I hate that this is all such a guessing game. I may just give up with the LLMD and let the ND guide me. My poor body can't take many more trial and error months of mega drugs. Not yet, though. One month at a time. This sucks.

Posts: 143 | From Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What test did you have thru Labcorp? Specificially.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mvdr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43034

babs & bart and RSF
poppy
Member # 5355

which babs?
Mvdr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43034

Babesia microti antibody panel

Bartonella antibody panel

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treat bartonella regardless of smear results.

Treating bartonella is the reason my "migraines" went away.

Galaxy labs has lots of info onn their site about how difficult bartonella is to find.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

You should also have an antibody test for Babesia duncani. This is supposedly a west coast bug, but people without any travel history living in other parts of the country have been testing positive for it.

There is a previous thread on how to get this testing, which I will post here when I search the archive.

poppy
Member # 5355

Here is the thread, very recent in fact.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/129820?#000000

Mvdr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43034

Thank you all so much. Greta, I went literally years with a headache. Most people can't imagine what it's like to have a headache 24/7 for years but it's a nightmare. Since starting the Lyme treatment it comes and goes which is a huge improvement. But I want them to be gone.

Poppy, thank you. I will check it out later.

I'm so grateful for this site and all of you for the advice!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement