LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » *Update* Bad Tendon Pain on Levaquin, Magnesium didn't help. :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: *Update* Bad Tendon Pain on Levaquin, Magnesium didn't help. :(
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started to get mild pain in my Achilles tendon on Wednesday. I noticed it while sitting and doing nothing.

I took my Thursday dose when I first got up.

HOLY MOLY! An hour later I got horrible tendon pain, and my feet felt like they were being stabbed with pins all over.

Then the pain spread all the way up to my knees. I couldn't walk it hurt so bad. The tendon hurt when I stepped forward on the opposite leg. My feet felt like they were on fire.

I've been laying down since yesterday and hobbling around in pain.

My feet hurt a little less today, but the tendon pain is still there.

Loading up on Magnesium DID NOT HELP. I just want to put that warning out there that it may NOT protect you from this horrid thing from happening.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the doc.

This sucks...I felt like I was making some progress until this happened. I hope there's another quinolone that I can take.

[ 09-25-2014, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Judie ]

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really need to stop it. I trird to tuff it out and ended up in a walker

Im.not a doc...so do what your doc says or make the decision yourself

I know ppl who have been permantly disablrd this way

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry! How scary :-(

Can you get into a 4-5 cup Epsom salt bath in the meanwhile?
Please be very careful-- good thoughts---

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yes of course, stop Levaquin!

--------------------
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped the levaquin. There's no toughing this one out.

Copious amount of magnesium is not helping. [Frown]

That's my caution to anyone taking magnesium. It may help, but it might not be enough to prevent this even if you load up.

I spoke to my doc. We're going to re-evaluate once the pain is gone. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry Judy [Frown]

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone for your kind words and good advice.

I had no idea the pain could come on so fast.

If the magnesium did help in anyway, I was able to get a weeks worth of the levaquin in before this started. No way to know though.

I do think levaquin batted back the bartonella a bit. It's a good drug if the pain doesn't happen.

surprise
Member # 34987

The Levaquin does bat back the Bartonella, agreed.

I was paranoid about tendons every single second I took it.
I took it twice, but didn't get past 6 weeks with each time,
I was too worried about every twinge, every time I carried groceries in.

Hope the pain leaves soon Judie. I think you caught it fast, and, if it had to happen, I also think it's good it didn't happen while in motion.

--------------------
doing okay!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sorry to hear. I would suggest NOT taking any more quinolones. They are very dangerous and are all pretty much the same. If you react to one, the odds are VERY HIGH that you will have the same reaction the next time.

Just to help others, do you mind telling us which magnesium product you took and how much of it? It may help others.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctone
Member # 38779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a major levaquin adverse reaction five years ago and still have issues. One thing I noticed is fluoride in any form causes a flareup. One of the worst flareups happened after taking a bath in fluoridated water. You might want to avoid drinking or bathing in fluoridated water - the fluoro in fluoroquinilone refers to fluoride.
Posts: 40 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May need MSM and Vitamin C to help recover.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

"I trird to tuff it out and ended up in a walker"

lpkayak - That's terrible! How long were you on the walker?

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, no! Definitley you are right to stop the levaquin. As Lymetoo said, NO MORE QUINILONES FOR YOU! Sorry to say.

[/B] T [B]THE Dr. B says to do IV magnesium (but now it's the weekend). Can you get magnesium oil? That absorbs very quickly, and you can get a lot in without having to run to the bathroom.

But I'm not sure that it is available at health food stores (try); it's available online.

If you do use it, cut it 1/2 and 1/2 with water, or it can temporarily sting or itch.

Dr. B also said IV VIT C Since, again it's the weekend, take as much vit. C orally as you can, like every hour. Liposomal C is absorbed the best.

I also got tendon ruptures twice with levaquin. Ouch!!!
Once was while flying to go to family for Christmas---I got a separated shoulder, which was horribly painful, and it never was right after that. And that was on a miniscule amount of it.

On Monday, could your doctor give you IV magnesium and IV vit C?

Some docs say that it's a result of the Bart being attacked, but you really can't bet on that with so much at stake. What a mess. I hope it resolves soon.

But mg & C as much as you can take.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Rumigirl - That's terrible, what happened on the plane.

I'm on tons of magnesium (1000-2000mg per day, depends on my stomach).

What's really bad is I have no idea how I'm going to leave the house. I can't drive anyway, but I also can't get to the car (it's several stairs on a hill). It's not the kind of thing I can be carried to unless I somehow meet a very kind hulk.

I just hope this calms down over the weekend so I can be more mobile. I'm hobbling the best I can.

I have to keep my legs elevated for the least amount of pain.

I don't think I've ruptured anything yet. It just feel like I'm being jabbed with spiky needles and shards of glass.

I don't think this is a herx. A lot of my brain fog has cleared up on this drug.

I read all these horror stories on askapatient and I didn't want to believe it could get this bad.

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20635&name=LEVAQUIN

I want to respond to people individually, but too much pain. I need to go lay down.

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so sorry Judy. Below is an excerpt from a very good book about levaquin and complications of tendonitis. The doctor makes it sound like your symptoms will resolve in a few days after you stop the levaquin.

http://www.lymebook.com/antibiotic-treatment-for-babesia-bartonella-ehrlichia-co-infections

There are some specific recommendations about magnesium and other minerals that might be helpful to you. Hope you feel better soon!

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH no! [Frown]
Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

dbpei - Yep, those were the recommendations I was following. I wonder if this would have been worse if I hadn't followed them.

I was reading that levaquin can alter your DNA so your body doesn't even know how to heal tendons even if you have the building blocks.

Crazy stuff!

My achilles tendon is so stiff on one side that I don't want to tear it while walking.

I slept a lot last night. I think it helped. It's hard to say because the pain gets worse as the day continues.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Judie:

dbpei - Yep, those were the recommendations I was following. I wonder if this would have been worse if I hadn't followed them.

-
Probably. Hope it gets better very soon! Keep pumping in the magnesium.

Buy some ReMag!!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Okay, I'm ready for ReMag. Where's the cheapest place to order it???

My gut just turned on me and I'm taking a high-quality magnesium (not oxide). I can't even do 500mg without having to run to the bathroom.

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie-can you get some magnesium oil (magnesium chloride) STAT.

Honestly, it goes straight thru the skin to where one needs it, and it does not bother the stomach either.

Magnesium bisglycinate is the best bio-available form of magnesium. Can take less because it is better absorbed.

The pharmacist I spoke to said it is absorbed easier and quicker and therefore doesn't bug the tummy as much.

Do you have CBS mutations?

If you don't, or you are heterozygous, can you make an epsom salt solution and spray it or soak your Achilles with it?

Just thinking a washcloth soaking with the solution, saran wrapped around your ankles...

Not pretty, but might help.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Unfortunately I can't put epsom salt on my skin, even diluted. It makes my skin red, itchy and puffy for days, even if it's just a minute (I was in agony for days when I tried to take a bath with just a little to try it out).

Is the oil the same an epsom salt? I just ordered some to be delivered.

I can't leave the house, so I'm just housebound right now. No way to drive like this and walking is so painful.

My CBS isn't too bad. Just heterozygous for one.

GretaM
Member # 40917

No, the oil is generally a salt-water solution, and the epsom is sulphate.

I hope the oil arrive quick for you to try.

It sure sounds very very uncomfortable!

Judie
Member # 38323

"epsom is sulphate"

Oh! That's probably why it caused me problems. I couldn't figure it out. It works so well for others.

Thanks for the tip on Magnesium bisglycinate. I just found some on amazon with 2 day shipping.

Thanks Greta! Very helpful. [Smile]

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I hope that it gets better soon. Be very, very careful (obviously, you are). If you do need to see a doctor, you would need someone to get you into a wheel chair, or simply carry you---wheel chair not good on stairs!

Do tons of vit C, too, esp liposomal, every hour for now.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Rumigirl - Thank you! I usually can't take Vit C because it upsets my stomach. It looks like liposomal is the way to go.

Does anyone have suggestions on brands?

There are several on Amazon and I think that would be the fastest for shipping.

Thanks!

BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Lipo-Spheric by LivOn Labs. I posted to your other thread as well.

Do you have a palpable lump in your Achilles?

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Judie:

Okay, I'm ready for ReMag. Where's the cheapest place to order it???

My gut just turned on me and I'm taking a high-quality magnesium (not oxide). I can't even do 500mg without having to run to the bathroom.

-
The only place to buy it is www.rnareset.com (I would PASS on the RNA drops, which they push)

Begin with only a few drops a day for about a week.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Judie.. watch your diet closely .. Sounds like the quinolone gave you candida also.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Bringing this up to add this important article:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/07/18/antibiotics-to-avoid-like-the-plague-due-to-fdas-oversight-failure.aspx

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Samlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levoquin I think can damage tendons. You might want to hold off on it and check with your doc. It's a side effect of the med. a bad one.
Posts: 154 | From Boston | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, never mind that's clearly well established here by now.
Posts: 154 | From Boston | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Lymetoo - Thanks for bringing the topic up again.

It's been exactly 2 weeks since this very debilitating pain began. I wanted to give an update and what I've done to heal from this. Perhaps it'll be helpful to others.

List of supplements I've taken compiled from several sources:

-Magnesium (to stomach tolerance)

-Liposomal Vit C

-Calcium

Creams:

-Penetrex (really helped with temporary relief)

-Magnesium Oil (it worked well for about 5 days with temporary relief, the I started breaking out in a horrible rash, it came on in a small place on my ankle after I washed it off, I'm not sure if it's the sole cause though)

Other

-French Green Clay added to the bath. Soaking for about 20 minutes and massaging my ankles, feet and caves REALLY helped. It would give me some relief for awhile after I got out of the tub.

-Elevating my legs so they didn't hurt as bad.

-Massaging my legs/calves, and arms (in the tub or with/without cream). Anything to improve circulation helped.

Stabbing pains are mostly gone (I feel less pain every day)and don't have to have my feet up all the time. I have to be careful how I move or searing pain comes on in the achilles tendon.

I haven't been able to wear shoes or socks! My feet are too tender.

I now have a rash around my ankles, behind my knee and on my wrist which is the new manifestation of this.

I was able to resume the exercise bike a couple days ago, but at a lower difficulty and duration. I had to try, at least for my mental health.

I was getting so depressed doing nothing. I think my serotonin was severely effected by levaquin.

I'm also having some of the worst nightmares and vivid dreams I've had in awhile.

"Sounds like the quinolone gave you candida also"

Yes, that did happen. I'm not sure which symptom clued you in to that that I mentioned above. I got the whitest tongue I've ever seen. Candida usually isn't a big issue for me. I increased my anti-candida regimen and it's gone now.

I'm not on any antibiotics right now, so it's not a losing battle with candida.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Because you said your "gut turned on you." I'm very observant. [Big Grin]

I doubt the candida is gone .. but glad it has subsided!

Are you able to leave the house now?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Judie
Member # 38323

Stomach is good now. [Smile]

"Are you able to leave the house now?"

I wore some flip flops and went up the stairs, so I can make it that far now. Not much more than that. I don't want to drive yet and get stuck some where because of pain and fatigue.

This whole thing has been exhausting, but energy is returning.

It's been raining and I can't wear proper shoes yet, so still very house bound (not that I can do much anyway, but the little I can do I haven't been able to do yet).

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Wow, Judie, this is so concerning! It sure would be great if you could do IV magnesium and vitamin C, and see an orthopedist to assess it, but I understand that you aren't mobile at all. Yeesh, what a predicament.

You could try the magnesium oil again later on, but cut it much more with water, and then wash it off 20 minutes to 1/2 hour later. But I understand why you wouldn't be inclined to do that again now.

I'm sure you are, but be very, very careful not to stress your poor achilles.

What does your doctor say, besides to stop it, anything?

This stuff is not for the faint of heart.

GretaM
Member # 40917

Argh Judie! It sounds bloody awful! Ouch ouch ouch!

That is a great tip about the green clay massage helping.

Sorry to hear the mag oil gave you a rashy bit! I love the stuff!

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you feel better soon, Judie. This sounds like an absolute nightmare. Thanks for updating us.

Happy to hear you tried the exercise bike. In careful, small strides, doing something you enjoy like that helps to normalize your life and can make you feel better in so many ways.

Diatomaceous earth (if you happen to have any) also makes a wonderful, soothing and healing clay mask. I wonder if this may help if applied to your feet and wherever your rashes are.

You are wise to take baby steps in getting back to where you were. Sounds like it won't be long, though. [Smile]

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

"Do you have a palpable lump in your Achilles?"

Boxermom - What's that? Is it just a lump? No lumps, just tenderness there.

"What does your doctor say, besides to stop it, anything?"

Rumigirl, thanks for your support. The doc just wants me to rest. I do seem to be getting better every day. It would be nice if it was faster, but there's definitely progress. I think what scares me is if I just stop progressing and the pain doesn't go away.

After the rashes go away, I may try the magnesium oil on a small spot to test it.

Greta - Yes! The magnesium oil really helped with pain tremendously. After I washed it off, I was amazed at the relief. I realized I also ran out of Fish Oil a couple days ago (I don't know if that contributed to me being more susceptible to a rash).

I just got the fish oil in the mail and am taking tons.

Can you OD on fish oil?

"This sounds like an absolute nightmare."

dbpei - Yes, and I've been having nightmares too. I'm used to vivid dreams, but I think the levaquin must have amplified something.

I've had a lot of time to think. If anything, I've started a big regimen of calmness. I just started it today and then I saw your very timely post.

Yes, I really need soothing stuff right now. Good advice! Thanks [Smile]

I'm reminding myself not to push myself and avoiding (or limiting my energy towards) anything that can be remotely upsetting right now.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I hope you can wear supportive shoes very soon. They will help protect your achilles heel and feet. You don't want MORE problems.

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement