LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IV Line Supervision

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IV Line Supervision
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who keeps an eye on your IV line for Rocephan?
We live in rural area, far from our LLMD in SF.
I am improving on my IVs but my last line site may be infected. My son cares for it meticulously , but he feels that a nurse should see it at least monthly.

We are looking for a visiting nurse. I have no PCP because the ones near me have no idea about lyme disease and are afraid to touch me. A nurse did come to show us how to manage it, but that was all and we can't find him.

I will probably go to SF to see the surgeon who installed it. But we need a regular nurse. I am on Medicare so I don't know if they will cover it.

The good news is that after 24 years of this misery I am finally beginning my path to recovery! The Rocephan is definitely working.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should google nursing services/nursing agencies in your area and start calling.

Odds are Medicare will not cover the visit, so it will be out of pocket.

IMO, a picc needs to be seen by a nurse more than once a month but that's me.

And again, IMO, a picc should be removed/replaced after several months, at the latest.

Great news that the rocephin is making a difference. Sometimes it takes many months.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A well-cared-for PICC can last more than a year (personal experience, discussion w/ local PICC-experienced doctors).

However, weekly evaluations of the site and arm are required. This is usually done by a nurse from a home infusion service (there are many - the one I use is Coram, but there are others depending on where you live).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Razzle, Coram wouldn't provide a nurse for us. I guess it depends on what state you live in. It was a bit bizarre that I had to find my own nursing agency to provide the picc care.

But it's a great idea for farraday to check with Coram in CA if that's the infusion company.

I know piccs can last more than a year. I've always been uncomfortable with those things being in more than 7-8 months, eventhough there were no problems. Interventional radiologist I've dealt with said no more than 6 months, but that's probably erring on the side of caution.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First PICC I had, they didn't tell me anything about life-expectancy of the PICC, and I didn't know to ask. Thankfully, I only needed it for a month.

Second PICC I had, they told me it should be swapped out every 6 months.

My current PICC - lasted a year and 3 months before the line clips stopped working and I needed to get it replaced.

When I went in to Interventional Radiology for the replacement, they told me my line looked like it'd been placed yesterday even though it'd been in for 15 months. I expect this line to last a similar length of time...

My DH does my dressing changes this time around, and he's meticulous and very, very careful. I don't have any irritation, redness, or other problems at the site like what I had trouble with on my second PICC (2008-2011) when the nurse was doing the dressing changes (she was sloppy & had poor technique).

As for finding a local home infusion service, try searching by zip code here:
http://www.nhia.org/ProviderPortal/index.cfm

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody! Good input. My line is not a pic. It is a central line in my chest. I had a port last 6 yrs (for IV pain meds). I've had 3 lines.

We called surgeon. He said to scrub at least 2x daily with peroxide, rebandage with neosporine. Shower and wash it. If it's still infected in 3 days, go see him.

Nursing agy said to get Dr referral and then they will come.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement