LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Curious about lyme and headaches

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Curious about lyme and headaches
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaseyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had what it seems like is a constant headache for years and doctors never found anything, i've had three mri's over the years and it is always perfectly fine. I would always think of high csf but figured i'd have seizures and it would have gotten worse, and i have yet to get my neck checked

Is it possible to have lyme for years that cause headaches, but no other symptoms..? Just curious

Posts: 315 | From Allentown | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Lyme can get into any tissue in the body and lay dormant, or only cause one symptom, for years before some stressor comes along and then the Lyme goes crazy.

Lyme can also cause things you aren't aware are symptoms...such as an occasionally achy joint, difficulty tolerating alcohol, motion sickness, occasional difficulty sleeping, and other similar things that many people experience for a variety of reasons.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaseyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was years with just a headache woulf it be impossible to treat then? Is there anyone out there who had a constant headache like feeling? Its depressing because what if i have like daily persistent headache or something.
Posts: 315 | From Allentown | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are usually more symptoms than just a headache.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinkley929
Member # 43812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brinkley929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Razzle's comment makes a lot of sense to me, and I never thought of it like that before (regarding a stressor triggering Lyme symptoms to go crazy).

I thought I was perfectly healthy (aside from unexplainable weight loss for a couple months). Then I had a severe stressor for a few weeks, it was resolved and I calmed down, and literally 2 DAYS later all hell broke loose with my body and what I now know were my Lyme symptoms.

Posts: 62 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Kasey,

Don't forget to take into account other symptoms you experience that certainly can be connected. One of your recent threads asks:

Does lyme cause sore neck/shoulders and jaw?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
In another thread you ask: lyme cause anxiety?

And in a different post you explain other things that are troubling you:

Vision seems very staticy, unless i just began to notice it more and it's normal.

I never have energy.. Always so tired.

I feel achy, especially waking up, when i bend my fingers feel achy, and my knees at times.

Neck and shoulders always sore, and jaw especially.. Got a tempurpedic pillow, still sore.

Hearing seems off at times, it's like i

constantly have a lightheaded feeling.

Stomach hurts a lot, and sometimes feels very tight chest.

Also nauseous a lot, just feel icky.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Low magnesium can cause headaches. Typically migraine headaches.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
All this does not sound like "headaches but no other symptoms" . . . so, I wonder if other doctors have failed to take the full range of symptoms seriously, family members, friends or even yourself -- discounting these as having any significance.

Don't assume all this is just the way it's supposed to be and that it's just the headaches because they are so bad that are the only symptom.

It's hard to stop and say, oh, wait, yes - there are lots of thing that are important to validate here. It all really does make sense.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Dan's reminder is important.

I know you received positive IgM lyme tests, have many symptoms that are classic, but are not yet connected with a LLMD. That can take time. Have you made an appointment yet? Will you be able to?

Still, in the meantime:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM - LINKS sets
-

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, I was going write the same reply. I know where you're coming from.

Steve

[ 10-13-2014, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: steve1906 ]

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Yes, i realize all my symptoms are lyme related but i really do wonder why i've had basically chronic headaches for years before this. I am now starting to wonder if it is lyme related, or not.

I used to be so afraid i had something seriously wrong but mri's never show anything to be concerned about. It's frustrating. My headaches are the top of my head, sometimes pounding, usually tension headache. It's just something i've always had to deal with, has anyone had constant headaches from lyme?

Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Oh and i wasn't disregarding the other symptoms Keebler. I am just trying to see if maybe the headaches i've had over the years could have been connected to lyme in any way before developing other symptoms
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

My head always hurts on they top of my head abd my eyes. Has anyone else discovered chronic headache was from lyme..?
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Absolutely. The literature is full of examples so it's certainly clear that lyme can cause chronic headaches.

Still, there are many things you can do that will help along the way as you figure out how to get lyme treated - and during.

Water, magnesium, getting enough good oils & other nutrients, posture, etc.
-

Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

I've had what it kind of seems like is a constant headache for years.. Who knows if it was lyme and other symptoms didnt come til later? :/ i guess i will go back to a neurologist.
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

I do not have any abnormal mri's so i am wondering if it is a neurotransmitter issue, persistant daily headache, or something with my neck being out place if nnot the lyme. I wish i didnt have to deal with it it upsets me a lot. It's been the same for years.
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My memory is not always great but, I think I remember you saying at some point – you never had a scan on your neck – MRI or CAT scan.

It’s possible that your neck has been causing these headaches for years.

Just a thought,
Steve

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Yes, never. Neuro never mentioned it..

Would an xray be just as well as a ct or mri for neck in regards to headache

steve1906
Member # 16206

I think asking your doctor would be the best bet, as to which one to have.

Remember, if it's Lyme related it will more than likely come back nor.

Steve

--------------------

Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

If i had it from lyme for years, does that mean lyme will be nearly impossible to treat? If people have had lyme for 10 years .. Does it ever go away? Can it be incurable if you have it a long time?
steve1906
Member # 16206

Unfortunately no one can answer these questions.

We all react differently to treatment.

The longer you have these diseases, the harder it is to treat. That’s why LLMD’s are a must for most people

Steve

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

-
Cervicogenic headache

Definition
A cervicogenic headache is, by its definition, any headache which is caused by the neck. The term 'cervicogenic' simply refers the cervical area, which is a part of your spine located right near the base of the skull. The pain of cervicogenic headache is usually unilateral; it originates in the neck and then spreads to the oculofrontal-temporal areas of the head.

The headache initially presents as intermittent episodes and then progresses to an almost continuous pain. Pain may be triggered or exacerbated by neck movement or a particular neck position; it can also be triggered by applying pressure over the ipsilateral upper part of the back of the neck or the ipsilateral occipital region.

Causes
One of the most prominent causes of a cervicogenic headache is simply undergoing an excessive amount of stress to your neck and spine.

Risk Factors
There are several factors that can contribute to making cervicogenic headaches more severe or happen more frequently. These include fatigue, problems sleeping, disc problems, current or prior injuries, poor posture and stress on the muscles.

Symptoms
Common symptoms of a cervicogenic headache include a steady, non-throbbing pain at the back and base of the skull, sometimes extending down to the neck and between the shoulder blades. The pain can also be located behind the brows and forehead. Because of the location, most of the pain is felt in the head, even though the problem is originating from the spine.

Pain usually starts after a sudden neck movement, such as a sneeze. Along with head and/or neck pain, symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, blurred vision, becoming very sensitive to light or sounds and feeling pain down one or both arms. The neck also becomes very stiff and the patient may have trouble moving.

Diagnosis
The workup of cervicogenic headache begins with a careful history taking and physical examination and order of appropriate diagnostic studies that includes standard radiographs, 3-dimensional CT, MRI, and possibly electromyography; nerve blocks may also be used to confirm the diagnosis.

Treatment
Pharmacologic management of cervicogenic headache usually starts with simple analgesics, such as NSAIDs, aspirin, and acetaminophen; the response varies from patient to patient.

Combination products (eg, hydrocodone/acetaminophen and butalbital/acetaminophen/caffeine) often are prescribed but cannot be recommended, given the potential for residual and rebound effects.

If all other treatment fails, judicious use of an opioid can be tried, using a sustained-release medication on an around-the-clock basis for persistent headaches to avoid a rebound effect. Invasive procedures include trigger point injections, greater or lesser occipital nerve blocks, facet joint blocks, segmental nerve root blocks, and diskography; spinal manipulation; and behavioral approaches.

Prevention
There is no direct and identified prevention measures that could certainly help a person avoid episodes of cervicogenic headaches. However, as always, you are advised to take healthy diets, get proper sleep and reduce overall tension.

Good site> http://pain-medicine.med.nyu.edu/patient-care/conditions-we-treat/cervicogenic-headache

Steve

--------------------

Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Interesting, i read some posts online where someone had comstant headaches for years, just to find out they have lyme..

It really gives me hope that i may some day be better no matter how i feel at the moment. Amazing how critical lyme really is, and how many people it may affect and they never know about it..

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steve1906:

Unfortunately no one can answer these questions.

We all react differently to treatment.

-
right

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Sometimes i just want to give up on life completely, i am so tired of always feeling like i have a headache most of the time. There's chiropractors, physical therapists, massage therapy, different doctors to see, all for lyme and headaches. Makes
Me feel overwhelmed and not sure what what to do next.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Kasey,

also posted in reply to a similar post in the jaw / neck pain thread of yours:

Understandably, it's hard to know what to do first.

No one here can answer the questions that can only be answered by a medical assessment. You have to make some phone calls now to figure out who to see to assess your neck. What I suggest

in light of the fact you do not yet have a LLMD and finances / insurance seems to be a delay - for now.

1. Check both the Upledger links and the Koren links to see the lists of practitioners in your area.

Those links are posted for you in other other thread here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=130210;p=0#000033

Then . . .

2. Call the LLMD of your choice near you and see who they refer patients to for neck issues regarding BODY WORK. They may suggest a couple outright.

See if any on the Upledger or Koren lists may also be whom they suggest

3. Call your area lyme support groups. Do the same thing.

You may get some new names from both the LLMD(s) and from the support groups for someone who has been good for those with lyme and understand key issues.

And / or, of the lists from those two techniques that do not use sudden twisting movements, you may find one who has also been helpful to others with lyme.

4. Then check your insurance coverage and hopefully, some name will match.

Keep in mind that there are at least 3 kinds of medical professionals who do similar work and all could receive training in either Upledger or Koren . . . or otherwise be on the "lyme friendly" list.

DC - chiropractor

DO - doctor of osteopathy

PT - physical therapist

LMT - Licensed Massage Therapist. They not likely covered by insurance yet you may find one familiar with lyme / good for others and affordable.

All of these kinds of professionals will guide you in practical matters of posture, the kinds of stretching (nor NOT) to do and other matters

The first 2 (DC or DO) would be able to determine if you might need some kind of imaging done and what kind. They need to see you first to know - and to know the exact kind of image and how, exactly to order how that would be done.

And, if they think a referral to someone else is needed, they can also do that.

5. MAGNESIUM is still really important. 3-4 x a day, never all at once. And a good kind that is absorbable. See the details in the magnesium links set previous posted.

I saw immediate relief with MAGNESIUM NATURAL CALM.
-

[ 10-14-2014, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

One step at a time, but you must try SOMETHING.

[Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Are support groups only meetings in person or can you talk to people online? When i look it just has the person's email and when they meet
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You might send them an email with this message that I've taken the liberty of starting for you to save you some time and energy.

Use it, or not, change it or not. hope it helps. Copy and Paste as you like.

Re: lyme / neck adjustment question

my phone: __________________

Hi, ____.

I've gotten positive blood tests for lyme, have had classic symptoms for quite some time and need to figure out how to get treatment.

Finances, the roadblocks and all aside in my quest to secure a LLMD, this one question for now, please.

Cranial Sacral Therapy. -- Do you know of any practitioner who is LL enough and does not twist, pop, snap the spine / neck. I've been told that both Upledger cranial sacral - and Koren techniques have helped others and are "lyme friendly" -- and there may be others out there, too.

For neck and jaw issues, pain, especially.

I understand this can be due to lyme (and magnesium deficiency) but I can't address lyme right now and

wonder if I might get some kind of relief -- and assessment for if there might be a structural issue.

I've been told by some posters at LymeNet that it is best to be sure anyone who touches me for any kind of body work should be somewhat LL - if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-

Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Okay thanks and excuse my comment in the last post, forgot i asked it here.
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

In the mean time i am going to start
Magnesium, turmeric, fish oil, feverfew, japanese knockweed (?) etc. even if i take 3 or more excedrin it doesnt always really help.. Is this unusual or normal if you have lyme disease.. I also have a tolerance for excedrin. I usually will take 3.

steve1906
Member # 16206

Taking Excedrin every day or in higher doses can be risky, particularly to your liver.

It contains acetaminophens and you can do severe liver damage.

Or taking more than the recommended dosage.

Or taking it along with other drugs containing acetaminophen.

Or drink alcoholic drinks.

Be careful….

Steve

--------------------

Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

I think im going to stop taking .. But does anyone else not always getfull relief from excedrin? :/ im just tired of having. Aheadache and i hope it IS lyme related
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

i've had what i kind of feels like sometimes is a constant headache thats always there for years and years now. If it isnt lyme then idk what it could be from.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

You can also get rebound headaches from taking things like Excedrin.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Thank you for all of your support.. I now have some hope
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

I bought turmeric, ginger, feverfew, magnesium, monolaunin, oregano oil pills, nettle, cat's claw, japanese knotweed. I tried the turmeric and ginger in the past for my headaches and it didn't seem to work. Is this more so something you have to take multiple times a day for it to work?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Take those one at a time. That way if any of them backfire, you will know what caused it.

Hard to tell what will help since you do not know the cause of your headaches. You don't know what KIND of headaches you are having.

Hence the need for a medical professional.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

i know taking a certain amount of some of those a days is a natural way to kill lyme but i'm mostly concerned about reducing pain
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too had headaches for years & the video below tells part of my story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbin5ZT6A5s&list=UUt9FccFyhKI-fRGh0YKWDXg

After some 5 years with headaches then it felt like somebody poured clorox in my head. Then it was my neck which always felt sore & then it too eventually burned.

Then one day 16 years later I had flu like symptoms and a week later I had so much head pressure that I could not walk.

I was diagnosed with IIH, with what I believe spirochetes clogging my blood brain barrier & disrupting normal flow from spinal fluid to blood.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Not much action against Lyme... cat's claw, maybe.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

If lyme causes headache, does that mean it is in the brain?

On 100 mg doxy and bactrim ds twice a day, does that pass the bbb?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement