LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Have you taken Primaquine? Is Primaquine a Quinolone??? Any chemists out there?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have you taken Primaquine? Is Primaquine a Quinolone??? Any chemists out there?
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a different person at the Lyme clinic I go to than the regular person.

I can't risk getting worse.

I had such an awful reaction to levaquin that I don't want to take another quinolone. I'm still in horrible tendon pain and can barely walk.

The doctor assured me primaquine wasn't a quinolone, but everything I'm looking at says it's related to quinolones.

Wikipedia says it's an 8-aminoquinolin drug.

"8-Aminoquinoline is a form of aminoquinoline with an amine at the 8-position of quinoline."

Other sites call it an quinolone.

I can barely find even anecdotal stories about primaquine?

Help!!!!

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with levaquin (and all other fluoroquinolones) is that it contains Fluorine. The Fluorine depletes magnesium in your body very fast, so people who already have magnesium depletion (because of lyme, co's and medication use) will run out completely. This is why you need to load up with magnesium when taking fluoroquinolones.

Primaquine contains no fluorine, so it doesnt have the same effect as the fluoroquinolones. However, your body could still be using up some magnesium to get rid of the primaquine. But it will probably not target your tendons in the same way as levaquin did.

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it isn't a form of quinine?

Found it here:

http://www.slideshare.net/shwetapagare/managmant-of-malaria

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is where I'm stumped. Some of the quinolones BEFORE fluoride was added to them caused the tendon problems.

Primaquine seems to be somehow related to quinolones. Maybe cousin for lack of a better description.

I can't believe how traumatized I am from levaquin. It's hard to take anything new.

I took one last night, no issues yet but this is very scary. The pills look totally different than levaquin. They're tiny.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also sensitive to the Quinolones, but took Primaquine with no problems.

In my early tx, I took months of Cipro with no problems. I took four days of Factive and ruptured my Achilles' tendon.

Years later, I tried Cipro again. Tendon pain! Quit immediately, but the pain still took months to resolve.

Primaquine was a walk in the park. Zero side effects. Unfortunately, it wasn't a strong enough med to make a bit of difference in my Babesia symptoms.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

BoxerMom - Wow, thank you! That's really good to know. I REALLY appreciate the feedback. [Smile]

That sucks about the factive. I'm never taking that! Yikes!

mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took primaquine. But it was a no go for. Me I just remember it didn't seem to help me with anything but made me feel worse. We change to rating antiparasitics.
Posts: 699 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement