LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » did you have side effects on mino?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: did you have side effects on mino?
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking at the difference between mino and doxy and found this.

"A known but rare side effect of this drug is secondary intracranial hypertension, a serious condition first indicated by headaches, disorientation and dizziness."

The intracranial hypertension sounds scary. Is it rare? Would one be able to stop in time if they started having headaches before they got hypertension?

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this or if it is pretty rare.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mino caused so much vertigo/dizziness for me I needed to lay on the ground all the time. It penetrates the central nervous system and can really mess some people up.

It definitely was affecting my head. This was immediate. The doc thought it was a herx.

This was not a herx. Face and neck swelled after a week taking it.

Went away pretty fast when I stopped.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
One aspect about minocycline is that it is one of many drugs that is ototoxic / vestibular toxic.

I could not function at all. It had me literally seeing upside down, and unable to walk, talk or much else. Such vertigo I've never encountered before. I tried it about 4 different times, weeks or a month apart over a couple of months. No go each time.

I had really wanted this to work as doxycycline was no longer an option for me due to multiple satellite rashes that were just intolerable.

Some seem to do just fine with minocycline

but many others are affected by the ototoxic nature of it.

To help offset that, kidney and liver support on board FIRST, may be of help. B-5 is also said to help prevent the vertigo that can be inherent with any oto-vestibu;ar-toxic drug.

More detail within here, scroll down to find the posts about mino.

I tried several times but could not tolerate it. Still, as mentioned (and for some reason I've not figured out) some do just fine but still, even they usually report they needed to start low & slow.

Those who already have inner / middle ear / vestibular issues need to be most careful.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS & SCD - Superior canal dehiscence --- Ototoxic drugs discussed, too.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessiep
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessiep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made me feel dizzy and off balance. I could not tolerate it.
Posts: 342 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many neuro lyme patients have intercranial hypertension anyways...

I take diamox to keep the brain pressure down.

I didn't notice mino aggravating this.

I functioned for 8 months with intercranial hypertension before my LL recognized it and treated it.

The neurologists I saw were useless as far as assessment goes.

Perhaps in other cases it is life and death, but in my case it presented as severe head pain, disorientation, confusion, difficulty speaking swallowing and coordination.

I think the vestibular issues are more common with mino use, than the hypertension.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vestibular side effects for me. Off-balance and walking into door frames.

After months it has declined a bit.

Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had none at 200mg a day. Maybe neuro/dizziness is cause it gets in BBB

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses everyone, my ears were ringing when i woke up and i took my first dose last night.

I really hope the ear ringing isn't going to prevent me from giving this med a good try. There aren't many abx left i can take.

Could ear ringing be a herx instead? I have had it off and on for a while but it was much worse this morning than usual.

I will up the support as keebler has suggested.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gigi,

My doc clearly told me that oxotoxicity was a side effect, not a herx. Said if I experienced anything with the ears to not assume it was a herx, and discontinue immediately.

Sorry you have the ear ringing.

Personally my herxes on mino hit at about day 4.
And never included any ear things, thank goodness.

If you are having ear ringing I would phone your LL, and possibly stop the mino to prevent permanent damage being done to your ears.

[Frown]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been trying to cope with mino since Sept. 15, going up incredibly slowly. I started with 25 mg once per day. So far I cannot go above 50 mg once per day without horrible migraines, nausea, out of it, imbalance, etc.

I don't think I am going to be able to tolerate this one, although I am still trying.

I have terrible tinnitus, but I already had that. Don't know if it is increased or not. My otolaryngologist said that the tinnitus if from my terrible (my word) hearing, that my brain is trying to make sense of the noises it barely hears.

I think I will go back to him soon and see what he says. Amazingly, he knows a lot about Lyme and gives it due respect, which is rare, of course, for a dr who doesn't treat Lyme.

Arghhh! Thank you for the reminder, Keebler. There are ALWAYS so many darned things to keep in mind, it is impossible to remember them all!

BTW, I am way overdue to get hearing aids, which I did last year, but had too many bumps in the road (not worth explaining here). My oto said that getting them would help the tinnitus. My hearing is REALLY bad. Again----there are way too many parts of me falling apart to attend to----yeesh!

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mino made me dizzy at the beginning but now I am used to it. My husband won't take it because it bothers his stomach

I take 200mg per day

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement