LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Finally an answer!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally an answer!
oceangirlSA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oceangirlSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been in treatment on and off for the past 3 years. I have a CDC positive test for Lyme, but despite multiple bartonella tests, never got a positive result.

Well, I saw my doctor today, and I finally got a positive test for Bartonella Henselae via Quest labs after testing since early 2011!

As wierd as it sounds, I am so excited to have this infection validated on a piece of paper after suspecting it for so long. Its a major piece of the puzzle as to why I am still sick and have not gotten better after lots of Lyme treatment.

I have always responded to Bart meds, but have never treated Bartonella for long periods of time, and every time I stop them I immediately get worse. Now that we know I definitely have this infection, my doctor can target my treatment appropriately.

This makes me MUCH more hopeful about getting better!

As I have been getting better from Lyme, my Bart symptoms have been getting progressively worse:

- severe muscle pain
- severe joint pain - knees, fingers, ankles, wrists, toes
- all over foot pain
- frequent headaches
- costochondritis
- swollen, painful lymph nodes
- tendonitis in my elbows,and ankles
- burning type of pain

Its been so confusing, because many of my symptoms could also be Lyme symptoms, but they have not been touched by Lyme meds alone.

What makes me so happy is that my immune system has obviously recovered enough to finally make antibodies to Bartonella, which is a really good sign!! It must mean that my bacterial load for Lyme must have come down enough for my immune system to do this.

This means that my body is healing albeit slowly and I am so excited about this!

Its been very interesting that it took a year of treatment to get a CDC positive test for Lyme but 3 years of treatment to get my positive Bart test. I really believe this is the bigger of my two infections at this point.

I hope that my story illustrates just how difficult it is to differentiate between these two infections as symptoms are so similar and overlap alot. Only time, and response, or lack of response to treatment, can help you tell the difference between them, and for me, getting my positive test finally validated what my intuition suspected.

I also hope that for those who are still searching for answers to your health, that you will be encouraged not to give up. Your answer, like mine, may just be around the corner, when you least expect it.

Posts: 187 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinkley929
Member # 43812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brinkley929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! I totally know what you mean about feeling validated with a positive result. That's exactly how I felt once I tested positive for Lyme.

My Bartonella test came back negative, but my LLMD says he's pretty sure I have it based on symptoms. I trust him and know he's probably right, but it really does help to have that official piece of paper with a positive result.

How have you treated for Bart in the past...which meds helped you?

Posts: 62 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your treatment plan for Bart?
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very happy for you! Onward, forward! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oceangirlSA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oceangirlSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on doxycyline for about 3 years and that has been paired with either zithromax or biaxin at various times for Bart.

Whenever I have added a macrolide I have herxed hugely, and see a big improvement in my symptoms. But as soon as I come off a macrolide, my symptoms worsen, even if I stay on the doxy.

I took Doxy with Rifampin for about 6 weeks very early on in my treatment and my symptoms got so bad that I stopped it, but in retrospect, I now know it was a herx and that the rifampin was actually working for me.

So my doc wants me to go on a combination of Tetracycline and Rifampin for Bart now, and to stay on Bicillin shots for Lyme. He said that Tetracycline is stronger than doxy and feels we should give it a try as its also a good drug for Lyme.

This time we will slowly ramp up both the tetracycline and rifampin and stay on this combo for a while. Previously I would always change protocols every couple of months.

Sadly I cannot take Bactrim or a floroquinoline so I don't have too many treatment options for Bart.

My son did very well on doxy and rifampin and all his joint pain went away on this combo.

Posts: 187 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your post-- sounds like a good plan! We slowly added rifampin with my daughter a few months ago (in combo)

and plan on keeping on it through the winter, and see where it goes- with regular liver/ CBC checks, of course. I think I am seeing for the first time now a 3 or so day cycle, never could determine an infection cycle before with her-

it's very interesting- from what I read, if you can tolerate the rifampin for some duration, it seems to be the choice for Bart,

limited are the safe options. Be mindful of your adrenals while on it- would like to hear your progress!

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very happy for you! I know that piece of paper is very important in the world today. Validates what we all know.

Keep it up and get rid of this nasty stuff!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oceangirlSA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40873

Surprise, why do you have to be careful about your adrenals on Rifampin? What does it do?

Thank you Dogsandcats! At least the piece of paper helps me not to look like a nutcase. I was trying to tell an APRN about my medical situation and she said she had never heard of Bartonella and promptly gave me the "you're a complicated patient" talk!

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can tax the adrenals for some people.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oceangirlSA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40873

Ok, I will make sure I speak with my doc about this.
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay!!!!

Congrats on your immune system being well enough to produce enough antibodies!!!

Hip hip hurrah!!!!

That is fantastic news-made my day [Smile]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin helps a lot of ppl. It helprd me alot but first herx caught me off guard cuz it was all psyc stuff. I becme suicidal. But i broke the pills up and took a tiny piece then more and more and in a few weeks/months on full dose a lot of bart sx went away

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oceangirlSA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40873

That is so encouraging to hear, LP! Thanks for sharing!
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oceangirlSA, if you take Armour Thyroid be aware that Rifampin can reduce its potency.

Good luck with your new protocol!

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcinelli21
Member # 44898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lcinelli21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys! My Name is Laura and I go to Penn State. This past summer I shadowed my grandfather who is a Lyme Literate Doctor and it really sparked an interest for me. Now, for my english class I am actually writing a research paper on Alternative medicine and the treatment of chronic Lyme disease. If anyone at all would be Interest ed in helping me with my paper by answering a few questions on a survey, please email me at [email protected] .. it would be greatly appreciated, and all personal information will be kept anonymous! Thanks so much guys.
Posts: 3 | From Penn State | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Email strangers at your own risk. Just sayin'

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
lcinelli21 / Laura,

I used to teach college journalism and I've done a lot of personal research in herbal approaches, as I've never had access to a LLMD or LL ND for more than a couple consults. So, I've had to figure out a lot for myself.

Usually, my PM is off as I don't have much energy to communicate but I will turn it on if you want to PM me with some basics about your paper and I'll see what I can do to guide you.

Designing - phrasing - the questions, alone, for ANY survey is really important. Not sure where you are with that yet if you'd like, PM me within one week's time.

While you are very likely exactly who you say you are and in this for the right reasons, there is no way for anyone to really know that just communication via the web.

It is too risky.

What would be best for both you and those from whom you seek a reply is not to either ask for or receive "blind" emails. Instead, connect with your local and state lyme support groups so they can work with you for the best approach to this.

After you have made some connection with the leader(s) of your area groups, then you might branch out to a wider audience.

You can communicate here by PM with other posters. That way, no one is trading private emails at all.

As you say you are "writing a research paper on Alternative medicine and the treatment of chronic Lyme disease" it is necessary to interview various LL NDs and LLMDs who incorporate support methods.

You can create your own thread on the topic and gather posted replies.

I will post one below that is vital to your studies on this matter -- to be sure you have a chance to see it. Beyond this, though, do consider your own thread for your topic.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
lcinelli21 / Laura,

In addition to what you've learned from your grandfather (a LLMD, as you say) . . . additional detail for your background research:

When considering herbal / nutritional / adjunct methods, because lyme is so very complex & unique, as are possible coinfections:

if at all possible - because each person & each case is different - it's best to consult with an ILADS-educated LL ND (lyme literate naturopathic doctor) (or similar) who has completed four years of post-graduate medical education in the field of herbal and nutritional medicine -

- and someone who is current with ILADS' research & presentations, past and present, and has completed the ILADS Physician Training Program (see: www.ilads.org )

so they really know all they can about the science of lyme . . . how lyme (& other TBD) act and what we can do about that in various ways.

Many LL NDs incorporate antibiotics (depending upon the licensing laws in their state). Some LLMDs and LL NDs have good working relationships.

When possible, it's great to have both a LLMD and LL ND and even better when they have a long-standing professional relationship.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Herbal Safety considerations & reference books; etc.

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures from all corners of medicine;

knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches with links to articles, books, methods . . .

BODY WORK methods / links (and why anyone who works on your spine MUST be LL to the degree they at least know to never suddenly twist neck or spine. Never. Ever. And that we should never be advised to do neck / head / shoulder stands.)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement