LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » will colloidial silver mess with my igenex results?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: will colloidial silver mess with my igenex results?
JeniNothing
Member # 44931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniNothing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So yesterday I had a friend offer to pay for my Igenex test. Yay!! I'm finally getting tested!!

I don't have a lot of money so this is kind of a once in a lifetime type of deal.

's there anything I should know about preparing for the test? I started taking colloidal silver yesterday (to treat the Lyme). Will this mess with my results? Please, any information would be extremely helpful.

I'm also getting the 23 and me test done soon. Anything I need to do to prepare for this?

--------------------
Jeni

Posts: 8 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Good question. I do not have the answer to that but I would avoid it for 2 weeks prior -- yet also call them and ask. Ask the LLMD with whom you may be treating.

I cannot cover all the bases but have a few starting considerations besides the silver question.

Just in case you already have some kind of lyme test, you may want to put money toward test for a particular coinfection. If you could first consult a LLMD for best guidance in how to proceed, that's a good idea.

1. Have the money deposited to your bank account so you pay directly for the test. When you file income taxes and IF you claim medical deductions, this can help a bit. The receipt will need to be in your name to be considered by IRS.

Were your friend to pay directly, they would not be able to get an medical tax credit unless it would be for themselves or a dependent.

your friend may appreciate a keepsake of your appreciation. If in your budget for something beautiful - a little book, a pretty card that might be framed, etc.

2. consider the timing (day & hour), the lab, etc. even at comfortortably late in the afternoon to safely meet the Fed Ex pickup from the lab after they do what they need to do, tests may be a bit more acruate closer to the mid afternoon frequent rise in low grade fevers that many seem to have.

3. be certain the lab does all they need to do correctly and call in adviance to be sure they are willing to send to igenex and their draw fee

4. call igenex and talk with them, first reveiew their test instructions on line to formulate any questions not found there.

5. consider how to avoid:

27 http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/lymeseroneg.html

Reasons for False Negative (Seronegative) Test Results in Lyme Disease

and:

http://publichealthalert.org/uploads/2013_6.pdf

Public Health Alert (PHA) is a newspaper committed to researching and investigating Lyme Disease and other chronic illnesses

Laboratory Tests and Diagnosis for Lyme Disease and Co-infections - June 2013

- by Armin Schwarzbach, M.D., Ph.D. - Five Pages
-

[ 11-16-2014, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Some other supplements might also be best avoided prior to test. Many herbs have some degree of antimicrobial properties.

Now, if you have a LL ND who is very familiar with herbs / silver, they might be the best to answer the question of if certain herbs / silver can mount an immune response that may be helpful prior to the blood draw . . .

as some antibiotics can either subdue test results or enhance an immune response.

But, it (with either abx or certain herbs / silver than may have antimicrobial properties)

COULD go either way but

how long you've been ill may be a factor in whether you would mount an immune response or not

and someone ILADS educated, either LLMD or LL ND who is up to date with all the detail may be best to ask . . .

still, hope someone here will have the perfect answer for you.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Also good to know before choosing tests, or interpreting the results. See the Western Blot explanations here to put testing in perspective.

Be very, very clear, that even the best tests at the best lab may not garner the test results if you require a certain "yes" or "no" --

and, also be very clear that even with a CDC positive, a regular doctor is not likely to treat you as needed, anyway. Details here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (&/or whatever else is going on)

Other tick-borne infections and other chronic stealth infections - as well as certain conditions that can hold us back - are discussed here.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is something called the challenge test where you take antibiotics for 3-4 weeks then STOP for 10-14 days. You get the test after those 10-14 days.

It is MORE likely to show positive that way. So you could do the silver instead of the antibiotics if you'd like.

No promises it will help, though.

PS .. All you really need is the Western Blot. That is test #188 and 189. You might also want to do coinfection testing.

Be sure to have the blood drawn early in the week so it does not sit around in the post office over the weekend.

You can order a free kit. You pay when you send it in.

www.igenex.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Good thing LymeToo offers that regarding various ways to approach this. True, "clearing" (as I call it) is not a challenge test.

Sorry if my post is unclear. I have a lot of trouble getting words out in the right way to match my thoughts. And some of this is just thinking out loud, too, to consider.

The idea of stopping - clearing the body for two weeks - is not a challenge test but suggested as some for a clearer picture. That point might have gotten lost because I also brought up the challenge method in the same breath, so to speak -

- with two different ways this can be approached, clear of what all you are doing --

or a challenge for immune response.

Best to have some ILADS educated / Igenex input for the most current thinking on what method / approach might be best for YOUR body at this particular point in time.

There may be some new aspects to all this.

As for herbs / silver. We don't know all there is to know about them. So that's just a little trickier to figure out regarding capturing a "picture" of what is going on, irrespective of those.

Silver / herbs could bring in an entirely different aspect, though, not necessarily a challenge for immune response but -- as some herbs, anyway (not sure about silver) serve to balance (calm) immune response, they could subdue test results, too.

That's why I was wondering if staying clear of those for a good while prior might be the best approach. Not just to get it out of your system but time enough to get your body back to its "normal" without that and it could take a week or two.

Still, silver does not have the same kinds of properties across the board as either antibiotics or antimicrobial herbs.

But, regarding its action, you'd want to know how it works very specifically with borrelia & immune function. Assumptions could trip one up here. You'd want definition answers on if silver acts exactly in the same way to product a challenge as would antibiotics for that purpose.

IMO, an antibiotic challenge should be considered. There is much more known about how that works.

Otherwise, I would stay "clear" of all supplements for a good while prior.

However, if taking the antibiotic challenge, probiotics might still be required to help fend off candida. But that still raises yet another question on if even probiotics might alter immune function in any way to dampen test results.
-

[ 11-16-2014, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement