LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how much sugar do you eat??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how much sugar do you eat??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my friend, p, as lyme. I've told her not to eat sugar especially cause of yeast.

she said as long as she stays under 50 grams she's ok.

I says nuts on that. but it raises the question. how many grams is too much? can one actually hav e zero sugar?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be really hard if you buy anything processed or cooked in restaurant

Its almost impossible to control above or add it up

I feel so much better when i cook everything from scratch. I dont even have sugar in house except once a year i buy it to make kids christmas cookies and nuts

Its a priblem when company comes! Almost every one i know uses sugar in coffee and tea

I am so looking forward to getting my stove back and not having ti eat out

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Just don't eat processed foods or eat out. That's pretty easy, actually. Or when eating out, eat at restaurants that cook real food, not processed concoctions shipped frozen for them to just thaw and heat - chain restaurants are the worst in that category.

But it's not just the added sugar, there are so many chemicals from the added flavoring to make our brain "hooked" so that we return for a fix.

Sugar in coffee or tea? There is stevia and while some brands are awful or not the real deal, there are some good ones. No reason for sugar to be used in any beverage, really, when the sweetness can come from safer food sources.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Magnesium depletion is likely to blame for craving excess as much as candida is. Both need to be assertively addressed.

I don't deal with candida and am not on antibiotics so I do fine with 5 grams of sugar a day in one serving of 80% dark chocolate. Still, this is best with some nuts or not too far away from a meal for the best glucose balance as that is something that concerns everyone.

A 72% percent dark will be about triple that in sugar, though, per serving.

Adding that only as you asked "how much"?

For those with candida, there are ways to get cocoa for the goodness of it but not the sugar (and also NOT with sugar alcohols). It just takes some planning.

It's important for someone trying to improve their health to not feel deprived and to experience the joy of good foods, and that does include a sweet taste as it's really rather natural in us to desire the FIVE FLAVORS with each meal.

It is still possible to get zero grams of added processed sugar -- and still have delicious foods that offer satiety - the ever so important component of if one will still be on the hunt.

Honey should be avoided, as well as maple syrup for someone with candida. And agave, too, for it's often just corn syrup with color added (as can stuff labeled as honey and maple syrup in some stores, too).

How we come to experience sweetness, though, will change in remarkable and wonderful ways once we get away from processed foods (and that include most foods eaten out).

I do think the sweet vegetables and some fruits (Dark berries are low glycemic, and that's the key -- as well as seeds and gluten free "grains" that are often not really grain at all. Wild Rice is a grass, for instance)

are okay for most with candida - at least after it's under control. At first, it's vital to be very careful, though.

Parsnips are a very sweet root veggie with lots of nutrients. Yams, etc. The key is that the serving be reasonable and with protein and good fats, too.

Save up for the true restaurant experiences and you'll never want to go back to a chain place, ever again.

Going gluten free is a good idea for anyone with health challenges, too. But avoiding all the processed junk is very important, too, and going for whole foods that just happen to not contain wheat, spelt, barley or rye.

Rather than feel deprived, I hope your friend will take this as a challenge to come to know the fabulous & delicious flavor of foods she / he may not have yet become acquainted with. Sure opened up my life to better enjoy food.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I just don't see how she can measure and say oh I stay under 50. heck even skim milk has sugar.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Living on the wild side, for me, is a mandarin orange or handful of cherries.

It is different for each person.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Skim milk is not a good idea for anyone, it just turns to sugar in the body very soon for it has no fat.

For anyone who is consuming dairy, it's best to avoid that no-fat, even the low fat craze. Go for the real deal, the whole food. The fat is there for a very, very good reason. Many reasons, actually.

Yet if she is in pain, dairy can really add to that as some folks just don't do well with it. It often really helps lessen so many symptoms to avoid dairy -- organic ghee can still be used, though.

With any of these food suggestions, though, it's hard not to present as "this way" "not that way" or "do this" "don't do that"

If it's thought of a discovery for what has helped others, a plan of action, that can help.

For years, I hated the term, the idea of "discipline" when my life was so hard to begin with. When I thought of the word as "'Tis a Plan" that switch in thought helped.

It's all about finding a process that avoid pitfalls and pain -- &, instead, will yield some benefits.
-

poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much sugar do I eat? Are we telling the truth here? I am forced to take the fifth amendment.

In fact, it is not just the actual sugar, it is the carbs that turn into sugar in the body.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
It's the processed sugar, refined, that does the most damage in the world of food sugars. And refined flours, that are basically sugar, too.

Carbohydrates, though, need to stop feeling ashamed. They are not to blame. We would die without them, seriously. Real Carbs are Real Food. That's the key distinction here - thinking back to before any food was ground to a pulp and put in a box, can, jar or bottle.

We require real whole carbohydrates and the vegetables and dense dark fruits from which we get the vital energy & nutrients needs to be in the majority on our plate. Coming from whole food, this kind of carbohydrate takes far longer to digest and does a lot of different jobs.

Complex food from the earth is in balance on the glycemic scale when eaten as intended by Mother Nature.

I interpreted the question to mean "simple sugar" - that kind of carb usually is nothing but trouble all the way around.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, poppy... so many simple carbs (white foods) turn into sugar without any trouble at all.

randi.. Your friend must be counting things like candy, sweets, juices, etc. I'd be willing to bet that she is not considering the "hidden" sugar in foods.

She may not even be thinking about sugar in fruit or sugar in bread or rolls. Most never think about it as being there. They only count the "real" sugar.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if you are addicted to sugar? Going shopping is a real challenge since 75% of the products seem to be snacks and desserts. I can go days without sugar, but once I have a bit, I'm hooked all over again.

I eat fruit, both fresh and dried. I have to have my raisins with my Post bran wheat squares. I crave it EVERY morning. The highlight of my day.

What is a sugar addict to do???

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Balance your minerals. Begin with magnesium.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It takes about three days...hard days. For the craving to go away. If you dont eat it...you wont crave it again. But you are right. Most stuff sold in grocery stores isnt really food and its full of sugar and other bad stuff

If you can work at finding whole foods you like and cook at home and eat nutrient dense foods you wont crave sugar...but i know how hard it is

Im not tempted by the grocery store stuff...its holiday food that you dont have around much....or birthday cake...so hard to say no -seems rude-but then the craving gets started again

When i have to "get off" sugar cuz ive messed up i treat myself to anything i want that isnt sugar. Good food, movies, books, massage...whatever it takes to get thru those first couple of days.

After that i guess its just not giving in to all the marketing.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessiep
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessiep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat a few squares of dark choc daily. but otherwise try to eat only foods free of preservatives and chemicals etc. i do sometimes cave and have a good quality croissant or muffin. but never super sugary stuff. honestly, i don't think it makes a lick of difference in how i feel. but i hope that long term it's help my immune system stay/get strong.
Posts: 342 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think sugar is addictive. The more you eat, the more you crave (I mean, white or brown sugar, not whole grains).

I also ate two small pieces of dark chocolate a day for decades... Until recently, that I'm eating much more fermented veggies (instead of simple raw veggies)

AND adding more grains (yes, like bird's food, sesame, chia, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, hemp etc).

I just put a spoon of each in a bowl, mix with any veggie milk (I recently tried the almond milk, it is also good).

The AMAZING thing: I don't even want to eat my daily portion of chocolate anymore. I do not crave it, and it doesn't taste as good as it always tasted now.

Today, I did the whole bird mix with kefir + almond milk. Then in the evening, I took quark with lemon and an orange, plus added more bird seeds inside.

I usually have very dry skin in winter. But the last 3 days, in the shower, I notice my skin has much more fat and I do not need to rub any oil anymore!

So I do think eating fats (many different types of fats) are healthy. The chocolate craving is gone!

Skinny milk, just throw down the sink. I take in winter much more fatty stuff, cook with ghee butter, take loads of olive oil, butter and so on. The less fat you take, the more you crave for both carbs and sugar, in my opinion.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Brussels:

The less fat you take, the more you crave for both carbs and sugar, in my opinion.

-

That is a fact. Fermented vegetables also cut out sugar cravings.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement