LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Trazadone for sleep? Sleep PT. 2

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trazadone for sleep? Sleep PT. 2
Kudzuslipper
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. My saga continues. But, and this is good sign to me that Lyme/Bart is beaten back, I am responding to herbs and medications that never made a dent before. Although herbals make me stuffed up.

I still like my ambien the best. And sleep doctor is comfortable with me on a lower dose, and I seem to have gotten used to the new brand of generic (or maybe it was withdrawal)

But pcp, suggested I try trazadone again... As it is easily prescribed. I took it one night and I did sleep and I dreamed. It took a lot longer to get to sleep, so perhaps I take it earlier.

What are your experiences with trazadone? Do you think it's safer than ambien long term? (I've read up --and some say yes and some say no... So looking for your personal experiences)

If you used it for sleep... Were you able to stay at the same low dose? Or did you creep up?

Any side fx? I do take a very low dose of cymbalta in the am but pharmasist doesn't think that's a problem.

As always I appreciate your collective experience and have a great Thanksgiving!

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I do NOT think it is safer than Ambien!! I weaned myself from 150mg to 25 over the past 18 months.

I found out from a pulmonary Dr that trazodone is a BIG cause of ER admissions! It was affecting my heart and not even my cardiologist was aware of how bad a drug it is!!

I should be totally off of it, but when I go all the way off, I feel depressed. It is probably just withdrawal. It took a long time to wean off.

I haven't tried lately to do without. The 25 mg doesn't seem to bother my heart. (I hope)

PS .. I think it was also causing restless legs for me. The Dr tried giving me a drug for THAT but I refused it, thank goodness!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My aunt (55) just had a pacemaker put in, and the cardiologist said it was because of her long term trazodone use. (10 years)
Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok! That's enough for me! Thanks for your experience tutu. Sorry bout your aunt Greta.

I'm going to leave well enough alone.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh that is just great news. I was on trazodone for over 10 years.

Hope your aunt is doing OK now, Greta.

It's always something, isn't it?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeedHelpLymeDis
Member # 44394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeedHelpLymeDis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took trazadone for a while. Ambien did not help me very much. I even tried the time released version.

With ambien, I would fall asleep for a while and then wake up unable to sleep.

The trazadone helped me tremendously.

Everyone reacts differently. You have to take what works best for you.

I was not aware of the risks. Whatever you take, clear it with your sleep doctor first.

Good luck. I'm sorry you're struggling with insomnia. It's rough.

----

PS. I did not have any side effects that I recall.

I did not have to increase the dose. It just worked well for me.

Posts: 20 | From Orange County, CA | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it hard to believe that the cardiologist can directly link long term trazodone use with someone needing a pacemaker. Sounds like a cause vs correlation thing.

If anything causes long term arrhythmias in the heart, then you might need a pacemaker(including stress, illness, meds, etc..). If it didn't affect your heartbeat while taking it, I'd bet it you're fine.

That said, I took it for a yr and it slowed my heartbeat at times under 45 bpm. I'd get really weak too.

Small amounts of seroquel, which is similar, works for me when needed. But both caused hangovers in the morning.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three days of using seroquel.

If I take it 10 hours before I have to get up, the grogginess is not too bad.

But even half a dose only 8 hours before I get up leaves me groggy.

But seroquel is such a sound sleep. I don't wake up or even toss and turn in the middle of the night, these last three days.

Early days yet.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by droid1226:

I find it hard to believe that the cardiologist can directly link long term trazodone use with someone needing a pacemaker. Sounds like a cause vs correlation thing.

-
My "sleep doctor" is the one who told me about the correlation between the heart and the trazodone. He found it on the "morbidity" chart. I forgot what he called it. He told me I could look it up myself.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my doc gaveme 1 mg of ativan or lorazepam. sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

what I wouldn't givefor a good night's sleep and not being drugged out.

ambien and lunesta caused sleep walking and violent nightmares, shaking and jerking. dr pulled me off both immediately.

stopped elavil cause of horrendous weight gain and it jus stopped working. we didn't want to get any higher dose.

haven't found a good sleep aid. otc doesn't work on me.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too, that's what I mean by correlation vs. causation. He very well could be right, he is the Dr...

I just mean the same group of sick people who need a dopamine blocker, more than likely have other issues that affect the heart. Not that the drug itself is directly causing heart issues. Or a mixture of both.

Just trying to make you(and myself) feel better about taking it so long. Ha.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement