LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Air & infections? IF you're on Oxygen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Air & infections? IF you're on Oxygen
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for a while,or air hunger or what ever......

and you have the ABX resistant staph and company.

Is it going straight to your lung through the hose ?(bacteria)

can this happen and make you worse?

[ 12-04-2014, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm not sure the kind of staph infection that can reside in nasal passages is the same thing as MSRA.

Do you have antibiotic resistant staph (MSRA)? That shows often as a skin infection, although can be inside the body, too, sometimes acquired during surgical procedures.

If so, are you getting treatment?

If so, or even if not, there are various ways to treat that even if it is resistant.

It would seem to me (although no medical expert) that any infection in one's nasal cavity would already be in their body. It's just that it's easier to get a swab from the nose for testing.

Yet, with whatever treatment taken orally, IM or IV, it would also seem a good idea to treat the nasal passages, do some mouth swishes and gargles, too.

I'd also do some good antimicrobial eye drops to cover all the bases.

Some holistic MDs and NDs (naturopathic doctors) would likely be the types to consider various ways to approach.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I did not quite find the answer I was looking for and midnight just passed, must call it a night.

Keep in mind there is a difference and many steps between staph (and various strains) and MSRA.

Web search for: staph, nasal

brought up several good articles. One of those:

http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2013/12/staph-can-lurk-deep-within-nose-study-finds.html

Staph can lurk deep within nose [Stanford Univ. Dec. 2013]
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
One thing to consider with respiratory heartiness: foods that cause phlegm. Phlegm can harbor all kinds of bacteria and viruses. So, when we eliminate foods that cause phlegm for us (and this can vary), we can strengthen our defense system.

Common foods that cause phlegm to develop in respiratory and GI systems often include: Dairy; Gluten; Corn; Soy.

Web Search, for a start, this one method of nasal support: "Colloidal Silver Nasal Spray"
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Still wonder exactly what / why you ask. So, your heading:

"Air & infections? IF your on air "

"Air & infections?" -- are you asking if we breath in staph from the air? Good question.

"IF your on air" -- do you mean like if you're on an oxygen tank or some kind of breathing contraption, like a CPAP for sleep apnea?

Yes, infections can be acquired if equipment is contaminated.
-

nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah..My post was difficult to understand.

I'll try again

I'm usually on 2 liters of air,at night.
Mostly concentrator ,(home so often)
I do have tanks also.....I call that the clean air.

Twice I've had positive test for "resistant to ABX staph in nose. Once from LLMD, later from
PC. Both done differently, one in Rep. of Georgia.

Prior to anybody knowing what was making me so sick, two doctor's , ENT's used sprays, for patients ,including me. With consistent issues.

One used Ocean Spray with a very small amount of Genomiocin,(sp) other used Beg from Hopkins Pharmacy. Both helped.

Now I have neither spray and am having trouble, my nose has the brown/black stuff, interfering with air flow in general and with tank's etc.

I've had so much trouble with coughing, pneumonia,
catching breath, feeling like not getting air and diaphragm wanting to work one night, scary.
Last night I was trying to figure out why so much trouble.

It dawned on me that if I have this nasty infection all up in there and am taking air in through there,

Could this actually be causing some of this lung breathing issue?

Yes Babs is in the picture also.

I have little help so the cleaning of machine filters is not often enough for me. My concentrator was checked last week and had a broken section inside.

They gave me a new one,
I wonder what else that could have done ?

I know my husband thinks it's all nuts, but he's not the one suffering.

Thanks, Nonna [confused] [confused]

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Nonna,

This really is a situation that should be discussed with your doctor.

About the sprays? Are they supposed to be continued? Seems you could breathe better with those so at least the saline mist one you can get for yourself.

The antibiotic one likely requires an order - but your doctor first needs to know that since it ran out, symptoms are worse.

A colloidal silver spray might be in order but I'd not use with with ANY Rx spray.

You say "I have little help so the cleaning of machine filters is not often enough for me." (end quote)

"not often enough" -- by whose definition? The manufacturer's?

Or are you saying that you notice improvement when the filter can be cleaned more often than directed and you wish you had help for that?

As for cleaning hose / parts - if that is supposed to be done and you cannot do it, then it would just follow that the machine should not be used unless it can be kept up as required.

If you need help with that, ask if any is available but do not continue to use a machine / parts that are kept to the cleaning / maintenance schedule.

As for how your husband thinks about this, that is of no concern. It's sad. But so is anytime we further perpetuate their name calling by taking that in. Don't accept it. His thoughts do not have to be absorbed by you.

Do not concern him with this. Seek out professional advice regarding your questions and for issue resolution, talk directly to those who deal with you & the machine / parts.

As for the staph - if you were diagnosed it just seems that the doctor should be working with you on this -- at least answering your specific questions.
-

[ 11-30-2014, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like possible MARCoNS (Multiple Antibiotic Resistant Coagulase Negative Staphylococci)... There's a special nasal spray for it, but I can't remember what it's called...

And yes, if you have bacteria in your sinuses, this bacteria can travel down into your lungs.

Agree w/ Keebler - I think you need to discuss this with your doctor. S/he should be the one helping you with this issue.

About the oxygen concentrator...if a part of the machine was not working correctly, that could contribute to all sorts of issues.

Make sure you are able to (or have sufficient help to) properly maintain the concentrator and all associated parts/tubes/etc., as improper maintenance can lead to infections and other problems.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the sinuses, ask for BEG again and take it for six weeks. Also, take Xlear nasal spray daily even after the BEG is gone.

And it sounds like this is now in your lungs too so please call a doctor, because if it is, you will need abx.

I had something similar this summer and delayed called the doc because for too long I thought it was "just" weird Lyme stuff. It wasn't. It was new. And I'm still dealing with it.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

WPinVA..Hi!
What was/is it that you got?
Was it through the air coming in through nose?

I was thinking about putting an ABX that I take any way and put it in the water on my concentrator.

I've been so sick on top of being ill that I can barely get to a doctor.

I went to ER twice,husband gave them my PC's name,
they just say send her home she's had a cough for a year.....

This last ER visit was a new female MD by the hospital I wanted to try.

My my husband knew I was getting female issues looked at by her and maybe she if she would be good for me in general.

So he knew I wasn't giving out other doctors name ,so they couldn't just call PC that I've had and have to figure out what was going on.

She didn't even look me over, my blood pressure was high ,so she that was why she sent me.

This strange cough came on again and I hoped we could find somebody at that hospital to help.

My husband knew we were not giving out my old doctor's name and using new one, so they might pay some attention to the problem.

Well doc came in ,asked who my PC was and in a nano-second my husband gave him his name.

One phone call to the and they came back to roll up the wire's and send me home.

I brought it up to him on the way home about us having that plan and we had talked at least 5 times about it.

He just started yelling the crazy person ,me, thing again and that we did no such thing,
didn't have idea to try etc.

That he did nothing.

Just went home to my living space

my bedroom, and cried.

I had a small chance to maybe get help and in one word it was gone.

For those of you that will say or think ...just go somewhere else....this was my 5th attempt to get help.

Cardio,Pulmonary, Intern, ER.

It's already so hard for me to get out.
That I lay here and know something more is wrong.

nonna05
Member # 33557

I just tried to edit/remove second ,same post and got back on site ...hack attempted
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Nonna,

You say that you are " . . . thinking about putting an ABX that I take any way and put it in the water on my concentrator. . .. " (end quote)

please, please do NOT do that. It could kill you (or the machine). There is no way to know what a medicine will do - unintended to be placed in that medium & machine will react, "morph" or affect your mucous membranes. It could cause your airways to go into shock, bleed, or who knows what.

It's not the intended use for the Rx in that form.

I know you need help and my hands just have to stop. I hope you do find what works. Stay safe. Take care
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nonna.. are you on high blood pressure medicine? Some of them can cause incessant coughing.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dal123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dal123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you been tested for MYCOPLASMA pn? It's very common in people with lyme and very difficult to get rid of. Have the Titers done, if you are IGG positive ( >320) you need mycoplasma treatment for at least 35 weeks, nagging coughs and your issues sure sound like Myco.
Posts: 532 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Lymetoo, thanks I didn't know that.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement