LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Colonscopy-is it worth it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Colonscopy-is it worth it?
sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonee123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 30 years old and hAve chronic Lyme.

I have rectal bleeding which I know is due to constipation and pain in rectal area after going to the bathroom.

I am just nervous to go through colonscopy test. They want to check for cancer.

Has anyone else have had bowel symptoms due to Lyme? I know nerve damage can destroy a lot.

I am just nervous to get this test done.

--------------------
May God Bless you, answer your prayers, relieve you of your pain and make you stronger than what you are today. Ameen.

Posts: 341 | From Columbia, MD | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It could just be a polyp. I would not even think of an infection in the colon but, perhaps, something that just needs attention. If it's a polyp (just think pimple, mole, overgrowth) . . . they can usually just snip it right then and there.

Or a condition of the lining of the colon that may need specific attention with nutrient balance, etc.

Constipation can cause rectal bleeding under certain circumstances because the lining of the colon can be very much stressed in many ways. It may be too dry and then when a big push finally comes along, it gets torn.

That's why I wonder if your nutrient intake needs some changes so constipation is solved.

Still, for now, I advise keeping this appointment so you don't have to guess. It's important that a look be taken with lights, camera - and humor (we hope).

It's likely no big deal yet it is important to have it checked out not just to be sure it's nothing serious but to also find out what it might be that is not serious but needs attention.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Backing up, though, I wonder what tests have been done to determine that this is rectal bleeding and not anal bleeding.

If you are relying on blood on toilet tissue, that is not an indication of rectal bleeding, alone.

Have you been assessed for hemorrhoids? Those can often break open due to constipation and bleed but lower down, perhaps lower down in the rectum but also anal tissue.

Have you had an occult stool sample test done? That can help determine if there is actually blood in the stool (vs. blood ON stool from hemorrhoids breaking at the exit point).

I assume that has already been done, though, for your doctor to go ahead with the recommendation for this scope.

Or, you may have other symptoms and it may be beyond blood on toilet tissue. No need to go into all that. Just don't jump to conclusions.

It is a good thing to have a good look at the "territory" so you then will know more about how to address this.

Lots of folks get this kind of scope done, think of it as just experiencing something new and, yes, it should be interesting. Think of all the things you will learn / see that will be new to you. If you love learning, this can be a good mindset.

Beyond that, still to figure out would be how to solve a problem like constipation. You might want to consult a LL ND for a wide range of approaches.
-

[ 12-14-2014, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
After your test, of course, you might want to consider:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=034408;p=0

RHUBARB - for colon support
-

sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonee123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the support. Its not really rectal. Its coming from anus i am pretty sure i have a anal fissure. But since i havent been constipated i havent bled for almost a month now.

I just get nervous with anesthesia and sedation medications. I dont like being drugged. I am not worried about the pain.

That is why i am waiting for the doctor to call me back to see if i still need colonscopy. I am only 30 that is why i am resisting to this painful exam.

I am extremely anemic i think that is why he put me on cancer check list. Though i havent bled since i have not been constipated.

The blood is definitely from anus because after i go to the bathroom when i was consitpated i would be in pain for hours!!

--------------------
May God Bless you, answer your prayers, relieve you of your pain and make you stronger than what you are today. Ameen.

Posts: 341 | From Columbia, MD | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the test is nothing. ask to be put out. its too uncomfortable for me.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one under the age 50, I have a phobia about medical procedures, so they put me out completely- propofol - easy- ask for Valium to get in the door.

IMO, getting it done will ease the fear brewing underneath something is seriously wrong.

Yes, worth it.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that kind of bleeding for six years. They kept worrying about colon. I changed gyn docs and right away she knew it was lickens schleroma. Its common with lyme. It can be precancerous but not always. Search on here...keeb probably knows how to spell it right

I am prepping for colonoscopy scheduled tomorrow morning. I am not thinking clearly

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My procedure went well but prep and communication between docs and hospital was awful and very stressful

I had upper and lower done and 3 of 4 areas were fine. There was questionable area from reflux and he took biopsies. I wont have results for ten days

For me...as awful as experience was...this was worth it. The place they did the biopsies is where i have new, severe sx that canlead to cancer so i am glad they are checking it out further

The no problem report in stomach, small intestine and colon wasreally good news too. I haven been taking high dose ibuprifen for over 20-30 yrs and it probably is cause of reeflux abnormality. But it is good to know it is not causing priblem lower down

So for me worth it. I just really hate the way hospitals are set up as assembly lines now and patients get yelled at if they have to go to bathroom or if hospitals phone doesnt work

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement