LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » oh gosh...husband sick..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: oh gosh...husband sick..
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's running temp of 101.9 with chills and shaking. Not hungry.

We were supposed to leave for ohio tomorrow. His daughter has son who is immunocompromised with no spleen and lots of other things. I have two sisters sick now.

If he's still running a temp tomorrow i aint going. Period. I've been to too many places sick.

Sides. We're supposed to drive and he's not up to driving 1100 miles and I'm too sick to be closed up in the car with somebody who might have flu.

Any suggestions? Er is out. He'd bleed out before going to an er ever....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Suggestions? For? Does not sound like he needs the ER, so that's a good thing. Probably just a garden variety virus for typical care but a call to his doctor tomorrow seems a wise move, just to see if there is something on their radar for your community.

I've had those symptoms and just took care of myself - many times over the years. People do it all the time.

It's really not a good idea for him to be in a waiting room, though. And, really, what are they going to do for him that he cannot do himself, anyway?

Travel plans seem out of the question now, no need to decide later. It seems like this is a no brainer and tomorrow is not soon enough for a "travel okay" at all.

It's hard, though, to come to terms with that, I know, very hard when we want to go somewhere, though, like a magic wand will make this go away.

Temp, symptoms today dictate he stay home, no matter if he gets a burst of "okay-ness" tomorrow or not - as that likely would not either last nor be reliable data on which to base such arduous travel plans.

It seems that at least a week's time before traveling would be in order before someone hit so hard could possibly have recovered sufficiently. But, the most I'd chance it is maybe if he feels good by Sunday, better on Monday then, maybe Tuesday drive?

With flu, so often the first bounce back does not hold. I'd think at least two full days of no fatigue or symptoms is the least I want to bargain.

Again: With flu, so often the first bounce back does not hold. This is very important to keep in mind.

Good luck with this.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
And . . . for you . . . .

Well, that's another whole basket of roses in two ways: taking care of him ( I think I know his reaction but hope is not a person to be all huffy and irritable through a flu);

and yourself, to be sure you don't catch this.

You probably should not be out in stores, or ANYWHERE near others, even a check out person in a tiny store, either as you are a likely carrier. Call friends or a delivery service to bring you supplies if you need them but just do a pass off at your door.

Separate sleeping quarters, for sure. Change pillow cases each day, be sure which ones he's used before you lay your head on a pillow, etc.

Same with drinking glass . . .

Close lid on toilet BEFORE flushing. Always. Everyone. So many colds & flu cases are spread by not closing the lid first.

And do not put any towels over the toilet - or toothbrushes nearby - as (sorry) when men use it even for the most simple use, there can be spray up & out into the room, even if the lid is closed before it's flushed.

He should likely have fresh towels often, too, so he's not re-infecting himself and if he is coughing or sneezing, I would not put my own towels in the bathroom at all, I'd hang them in separate quarters so they are out of the "particulate fluid" zone.

It's so much easier that you have your own washer and dryer -- this part is a real pain for those who do not have laundry access.

And you eat healthful foods, enjoy warm tea, etc. Get good rest.

Vitamin C, ELDERBERRY, etc.

Comedy videos help immune system.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pray you do NOT take that trip!!

Go to a health food store and buy lots of dried elderberries. Ask them to tell you how to make the juice/tea... or go online to find out.

Keep it handy, because you may both be needing it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
To help protect everyone (and faucet knobs, towels, toothbrushes, tissues, door knobs, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1dT1QaH96o

:38 video - when toilet lid is open during flush

Blue Light shows " . . . that spray can spread 20 feet into the air" . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02WuF5Jf9KU

The Science Channel -

Why It's so Important to Close the Lid BEFORE flushing.

3:15 Video

"Droplets . . . they go a very disturbingly long way" . . . even over to the wall. "These drops fly all about . . . ."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrrbdSqhLNM

Discovery Channel -- Some fun with Mike Rowe in the bathroom

Spray Back from toilet 3:33 video

[Guy to guy] "When you pee, you get this fountain of . . . spraying about . . . " far from the toilet.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Why not just postpone the trip now? That would help with peace of mind for you both.

Make it for New Year's instead - or the week after to be a bit more sure that after recovery there is time to really get strong enough again before the trip?
-

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now he tells me he can't pee very much and has rectal and abdominal pain and chills. his fever is down but he's not feeling good.

trip is off for now and we're going to doc on monday. he said we'll see what he says and then go. no WE wont cause I ain't going. he says we're going. great..I see a battle coming and I don't need this.

he just took his temp and it was 100.

think it's prostatitis but aint no doctor.

driving for two days will aggravate it won't it?

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaleS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaleS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with prostatitis on monday and had many of the same symptoms

as your husband does. Sounds exactly like it. I thought i had a uti for a long

time but had to go to the drs 3 times before the last diagnosis.

Posts: 159 | From usa | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

what do you think about this trip? I say no go. sitting for two days and then running around can't be good.

--------------------

DaleS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaleS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say no.
Posts: 159 | From usa | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaleS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44571

When I got it we were in the middle or a road trip and it sucked.I was so miserable.
randibear
Member # 11290

Yep doc said prostatitis. He said he's going. Ah well. I really dont want to go.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Then don't. I do not think it is responsible to be driving or even as a passenger with the symptoms. He could very well be contagious with a virus.

And you are also at risk for fast developments.

Just because the prostate is inflamed does not rule out a flu virus that triggers the flare up.

And, besides, there is no way to know what kind of discomfort or urgency challenges are likely to come in the next few days. A highway is no place for such uncertainly.

Even if this is bacterial-caused prostatitis and not the flu, and he gets medicine . . . who knows how this might proceed?

Rx alters brain chemistry / driving ability. Fatigue - involving the brain - will still likely be a major factor. And you say you can't drive the whole way.

If he decides to go, you can stay home. That would be the responsible thing to do since he's not safe driving or being around others right now and your being part of that is not going to help

- especially if this turns out to be a flu / virus & you become ill, too (which has more chance than not of happening if gambling odds are involved in the decision).

How many dozens people will be exposed along the way? Why ruin their holiday? It's not fair to them.

And, as for mind on the road, that could be impossible with pain and FATIGUE of this illness - the brain just won't be able to do it. Therefore, just not safe & not responsible to others on the road.

If he causes an accident, knowing beforehand that he should not be driving, his insurance may not cover damages and his personal liability could go sky high, as it should. But the most important consideration: safety of everyone along the way and at destination.

Thoughts above have be reiterated, I know. Because it's so very important to the lives of others. Driving requires the utmost attention to every detail, every single second. Always.

Our egos are absolutely the most dangerous thing involved in many bad decisions that result in accidents and fatalities. Our ego cannot demand our brain work in ways that it just cannot when faced with illness-causing fatigue or pain &/or Rx influences.
-

[ 12-19-2014, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

randibear
Member # 11290

the doctor told him hey no problem-o. go on trip and lowly person that I am, my gosh, I would never ever be smart enough to countermand such a high ranking person of status. why perish the thought...

he's on 500 mg of levaquin once a day for 14 days.

[ 12-19-2014, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: randibear ]

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here comes the damage from the levaquin... be ready to drive back for him!!!

Stay home!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaleS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44571

I had prostitus and I was in no condition to be a passenger. I was in so much pain and

discomfort. Then there were other issues like having to urinate frequently. I kept

thinking how nice it would be to just lie down in my own bed and how much more

comfortable that would be. There is no way he can drive.

randibear
Member # 11290

I wish I were stronger I really do. but I hate confrontation. I told him it was a bad idea and I didn't want to go. he said I was using him as an excuse. he'd tell his family it was my fault he couldn't come cause I didn't want to. and of course my sisters are getting older and my only uncle is practically in the grave and i'll be sorry if I don't go. yadayadayada....

so his temp is back up 100.9 so it's up and down.

hey the insurance is paid up. at this point I'm like go ahead.....

I'm sorry I called him stupid. I honestly thought he knew....

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You do not have to go. It's that simple.

It's not wise - or safe for him to go but just because he chooses to does not mean you have to as well.

Taking a dangerous ride, even if to see loved ones, is not a wise mode of transport.

Ohio and its people will still be there next week and likely for the New Year, too. Don't let his ego and your sentiment put you and others at risk.
-

DaleS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44571

I wouldn't go either. It's not safe for anyone.

Just take the keys and hide them in a good stop and pretend you have no idea where they went. ha!

Then everyone is safe.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=levaquin%2C+driving

MEDLINE PLUS -- Levofloxacin / Levaquin

Important Warning:

Taking levofloxacin increases the risk that you will develop tendinitis (swelling of a fibrous tissue that connects a bone to a muscle) or have a tendon rupture (tearing of a fibrous tissue that connects a bone to a muscle) during your treatment

or for up to several months afterward.

These problems may affect tendons in your shoulder, your hand, the back of your ankle, or in other parts of your body.

Tendinitis or tendon rupture may happen to people of any age, but the risk is highest in people over 60 years of age. . . .

. . . If you experience any of the following symptoms of tendinitis, stop taking levofloxacin, rest, and call your doctor immediately: pain, swelling, tenderness, stiffness, or difficulty in moving a muscle.

If you experience any of the following symptoms of tendon rupture, stop taking levofloxacin and get emergency medical treatment:

hearing or feeling a snap or pop in a tendon area, bruising after an injury to a tendon area, or inability to move or bear weight on an affected area. . . .
. . .

What special precautions should I follow?

. . . [seven very important points, just two of those:]

* you should know that levofloxacin may cause confusion, dizziness, lightheadedness, and tiredness.

**** Do not drive a car, operate machinery, or participate in activities requiring alertness or coordination until you know how this medication affects you.

* plan to avoid unnecessary or prolonged exposure to sunlight or ultraviolet light (tanning beds and sunlamps) and to wear protective clothing, sunglasses, and sunscreen.

Levofloxacin may make your skin sensitive to sunlight or ultraviolet light. If your skin becomes reddened, swollen, or blistered, like a bad sunburn, call your doctor.

[interjection: possible even through a car window, I wonder?]

What special dietary instructions should I follow?

Make sure you drink plenty of water or other fluids every day while you are taking levofloxacin.

What side effects can this medication cause?

Levofloxacin may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

nausea

vomiting
diarrhea

stomach pain
constipation

heartburn
headache

Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of these symptoms call your doctor immediately, but do not stop taking levofloxacin without talking to your doctor:

severe diarrhea (watery or bloody stools) that may occur with or without fever and stomach cramps (may occur up to 2 months or more after your treatment)

dizziness

confusion
nervousness

restlessness
anxiety

not trusting others or feeling that others want to hurt you

difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep

nightmares or abnormal dreams

hallucinations (seeing things or hearing voices that do not exist)

depression

thoughts about dying or killing yourself

uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body

[And the list continues for even more severe effects of which to be aware]
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
All that is very clear that it's not safe to embark on an interstate road trip tomorrow. Texas to Ohio is a very long drive even for those in tip-top shape. Winter weather, long hours of darkness . . . well, it all adds to the safety considerations.

When we drive, we take not just our own life but the lives of our passengers . . . and other drivers and other passengers on the road - into our hands, it's our responsibility to be mindful and have their care in mind, as well.

If others' lives mean nothing, can either one of you afford to pay for the funerals of others, assume financial responsibilities for any survivors &/or face DUI charges? Seriously. Because this could be deadly serious.

Insurance would likely not be valid in light of the drug's influence. DUI is not just about alcohol or mind altering drugs. This can have major influence on - and has warnings against - driving.

As for you saying that you "wish I were stronger I really do." . . . that would be no defense as an accessory to negligent manslaughter. You do not have to go.

If he is driving and something snaps or sends a sudden pain signal, how are you at jumping out the passenger window?

If you are driving, can you withstand someone screaming in pain? Can you get a person to safety if they cannot walk? Can you administer first aid to a person who might encounter anything on the list of side effects?

The stress on the body being confined for long hours in a car will also be harder on the body tissue & the kidneys. And that adds to the risks.
-

[ 12-19-2014, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement