LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Probiotic Info. as well as what do you do for a cold?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Probiotic Info. as well as what do you do for a cold?
everythinghurts
Member # 27692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for everythinghurts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody and Happy New Year! Question for you all, I am now taking 5 billion Saccharomyces Boulardi+MOS however my lyme PA wants me to also add a probiotic that is 50-100 billion. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, because we can't get a flu vaccine, I now have a cold. Do you call the PA at the lyme physicians office for even more meds or do you treat with over the counter meds?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 84 | From New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I treat a cold with vitamin C and zinc. I can't imagine that an LLMD or most docs can do much better than that.

On the probiotics question, I like Custom Probiotics. They have a 6-strain and an 11-strain, I use both of them.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best probiotic I have found is Orthomolecular probiotic 225. I also find it works even better with an enzyme as well. Theralac is another good brand.

Your cold doesn't have anything to do with not getting a flu vaccine. There isn't a lot your LLMD can do for your cold but mine does recommend Takuna anti-viral drops. Another doc recommended Elderberry. I also personally think a lot of vitamin C helps.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always use elderberry right awAy and they seem to go away...best to catch it in beginning

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always use elderberry right awAy and they seem to go away...best to catch it in beginning

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your cold comes with extreme fatigue, your "cold" is more likely the flu.

Look up the symptoms of this year's flu. I did, and that's how I figured out that I was suffering with the flu and not a regular head cold.

Let the lyme doc know if it seems to be flu. He may want to prescribe Tamiflu or something else that fights it.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaleS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaleS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always eat a whole bunch of limes when I get the first symptom of a cold of flu and it works great.
Posts: 159 | From usa | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Echinacea

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umcka Cold Care by Natures Way is our favorite. Once I shared it with my Aussie friends, while living down there, and then after that whenever I visited the States I'd return to Oz with a suitcase full of Umcka orders.

BOIRON's ColdCalm is good too.

If it is the flu I get in there quick with Boiron's Oscillococcinum.

If it is a severe flu, I like Hyland's DEFEND, which has Oscillococcinum in it plus others homeopathics for bone pain, chills, deep muscle pain, etc.

Also like echinacea and if gets past stage 1, of a cold, then the echinacea, goldenseal combo. But, my colds never get past the inkling that I might be getting a cold because of Umcka.

Also, lots of vitamin C and I take 10,000 IU of vitamin D.

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
everythinghurts--your mailbox is full. I can't respond to your PM.

If you were given antibiotics when you saw your pcp, then I doubt you have just a cold. Doctors don't give antibiotics for a cold because antibiotics are not effective against a cold. So, I believe your pcp is treating you for the flu.

My doc never said I had the flu either. I went to him 3 times plus emails and phone calls. It's crazy! Why don't they just tell us that we have the flu?!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antibiotics don't work against the flu either, as the flu is caused by a virus. Tamiflu can be helpful if it is the flu, but it isn't a cure.

I share the frustration with docs not properly dx'ing the flu. I have found that I have to ASK for the rapid flu test.

Even when I brought my daughter in with very obvious flu symptoms during flu season, they claimed it was "just" a virus. I had to ask for the flu test and whaddya know it came back positive. They professed to be very surprised.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Antibiotics don't work against the flu, but doctors are giving them. From what I have read, it is to treat complications of the flu.
Annie C
Member # 14

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annie C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, I've been taking Probiotics since 2005. I won't miss a day. I've taken many strengths of many brands. From 1 billion to 90 billion. For me I take 10 billion 1-2 times a day always 30 minutes before I eat. And sometimes I take another one if I know it's a dairy product meal aka cheese.

I always take it 2-3 hours before or after an Abx.
Well that's all I've got to say. Except this. It promotes a healthy digestive track. So keep on promoting your system.

--------------------
May God Bless you every day. And Never say never and do not give up no matter what. We need you to help others.

Posts: 1288 | From Tetons Wyoming | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement