LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IV users...hickman line on vaction/ protection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IV users...hickman line on vaction/ protection
jennyfromtheblock
Member # 43805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyfromtheblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, has anyone traveled with a central line? I have talked to the airline, not sure what will happen with the ice pack situation, but I am prepared for anything. The woman told me I could only have 3 oz freezer packs...that's funny

But what do you do on the beach or in the sun with a hickman catheter? I know I can cover it with an aqua guard to protect from any splashing water. I know I can't go swimming.

How do you protect from the sun? I'm sure that a sunburn under a tegaderm is not a good idea. And it will be quite hot so wearing a shirt on the beach is not an option. Any ideas?

This is all providing the actual travel doesn't do me in. When I talked to the airline today about the iv meds, the subc igg pump, the wheelchair, I took a step back and had to laugh...no I'm not 90 I'm 42!

Thanks for any advice

--------------------
celiac dx 2012
pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor dx 2012
lyme dx 2/14
poss igm wb, neg igg wb - Igenex/CDC

Posts: 85 | From south shore | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Australia with a hickman, took no meds because it would be a big hassle. Only took flushes and dressing change gear that didn't need refrigeration.

So sit under an umbrella if you are worried about sunburn. Big floppy hat? Are you really going to let that show in public? I never did. There are swimsuits, one piece, that have high neck that ought to cover the whole thing. But will you be sunbathing, not swimming? My problem with a hickman came from sweating while mowing the lawn, dressing came loose, germs got in and infected the entry point. Line had to be pulled. Anything that makes you really hot is going to loosen the dressing because of the sweat.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving to Medical Questions for help

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyfromtheblock
Member # 43805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyfromtheblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ugh I didn't think of the sweat. I haven't had the line in over the summer months yet.

I'm starting to regret agreeing to go. we go every year. Except last year I had to stay home because I was too ill to travel.

Now I can function more, but need to be in the wheel chair for any distance.

I guess this is yet another thing I didn't quite think through

--------------------
celiac dx 2012
lyme dx 2/14

Posts: 85 | From south shore | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a hickman cath.for 3 months. I wrapped it in an ace bandage. I went to work and even rock climbed (indoorclimbing wall) with it in there.

I was in a climbing competition with it in there.

Then my gall bladder got plugged up and i got Yeast real bad. (ROCEPHIN)

Later cipro tore up my tendons and the climbing went south.

It was winter time when i had it in there.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a water park with a picc line and to the beach all summer with my picc line and just wrapped my entire arm with plastic wrap and wore a long sleeve SPF 50 sun shirt from lands end. Also wore the biggest brim hat i could find. I was on IV doxy.

I know it's not the same thing as a hickman but that's what i did, and i didn't swim with it, but i did go down a few water slides.

Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyfromtheblock
Member # 43805

ooohhhh iv doxy....ouch! I couldn't even take oral doxy with the sun, and I don't mean sunbathing either....I burned through my fingernails. I was like a vampire.

Im going to go on line and find a shirt. I do have a giant wide brim hat from my doxy days. But my spf shirts are all long sleeves b/c of the doxy

I am on iv rocephin

--------------------
celiac dx 2012
lyme dx 2/14

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement