LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » cipro has given me tendonitis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cipro has given me tendonitis
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear ones,

After several months of treatment with different antibiotics, my Dr. suggested I try ciproflaxin for a likely case of bartonella (clinically diagnosed). Because I have had stubborn symptoms of spasms and twitches, I embarked on this new protocol. I was aware of "rare" tendon rupture issues-and under the impression that if you felt tendon pain you should stop.

Well, I didn't feel very good from the get go-but no tendon issues so assumed a herx. By day 4.5 I had a terrible three dimensional, almost hallucinatory nightmare of the sort I have never had before. I didn't relate this to cipro, but continued to have anxiety through the next day. By day 6 I decided to stop takin Cipro. I had no pain whatsoever.

Day 7 I had a tiny pain in the heel of my hand. I iam now on day 11 since I took my first pill and I have very tender tendons throughout my whole body. It is hard for me to walk more than a few minutes because my legs will get a feeling of weakness and I feel like they could buckle. This pertains to all tendons, including achilles.

Well, I have now read all the nightmare stories on the internet of people being disabled from short regimens like mine. I refusef to take my mind to that scenario, but I would NEVER take a quinolone antibiotic again. I have had lyme for 25 years and have never had pain and weakness like this.

I am taking lots of magnesium, vit b12 shots, transdermal glutathione and a potent antioxidant (the one in krill) in addition to gaba, meltaonin at night. Fortunately the anxiety went away when I stopped the medication.

From what I have read, these antibiotics can damage your mitochondria, leading to cell death. Most people recover, but it can take time.

Two weeks ago I went ice skating outside on a beautiful winter day. Impossible now.

Please do not take this class of antibiotics. It is not worth the risk. I am hopeful that I will stabilize soon and heal. But it is very scary.

If anybody knows what helped them most, would appreciate hearing.

Posts: 172 | From ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel very badly for you. Fluoroquinolones are also on my "allergic" list and have been for years.

Be sure to take the best magnesium you can find. I have found great help with ReMag.

www.rnareset.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am now experiencing muscle pain throughout my body especially wrists and ankles. never again....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took alka seltzer gold and that has lessened the pain a bit. I am taking the weekend and today off as these apparently are the days of highest possibility of tendon rupture.

Nutritional support+ tons of detox and magnesium. Good luck to those healing from this....will update on progress.

Posts: 172 | From ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin C can help too, preferably liposomal (or even better: IV)
Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
somebody said l carnitine and c also help. I can't move my wrists without sharp stabbing pain. ouch...

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I messed up tendons wit statins and was in walker

3 docs couldnt help me over about 4 months

From internt i discoverd supps that help mitochondria help this problem

There are protocols and also supplements with many supps in one bottle that help this

The ones that help me the most are coq10, ala, l carnitine, and anyway to get more glutathione...

I dont know if it will help those who got problem.like you did. I stopped those drugs right away as soonas i felt beginning of tightness in tendons

Good luck

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Thank you. It is a problem of mitochondrial dysfunction...so mitochondrial support is the way to go. I am getting a vitamin c iv on Sunday . I bought leg supports to wear around my ankles. It helps. Another healing "journey". Those who got better let us know what helps!

Thanks

dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Randibear,
Have you tried wrist supports? Until the inflammation starts to go down it may be of help.

Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry. I'm still dealing with pain hell from 8 days of levaquin last September.

What it gave me was worse than most Lyme symptoms.

Here's a thread I did on the damage these do:

2013 FDA Warning about Fluoroquinolone antibiotics causing PERMANENT damage

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=130342;p=0

If you can find a doc with a pain-x-2000 machine and k laser they can help heal the mitochondria.

What's also helped me is a good ND (naturopathic doctor) and TCM (Chinese medicine doctor who specializes in the old-timey, custom, boiling herb protocol, NOT the ones who give pre-made pills).

Good luck.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dali .. Don't forget the MAGNESIUM!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Magnesium lotion with MSM (Ancient MInerals) plus Magtab SR + Natural Calm.

It helps, but it is definitely more than just a magnesium issue. It will take time to heal. But thanks Lymetutu [Smile]

randibear
Member # 11290

I have supports for both right and left.

when I told the doc he said oh you react to everything because its not the cipro. there are no other drugs for divert disease I can give you. jus take it.

not only no but heck no.....

--------------------

Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I did tons of magnesium before, during and after levaquin.

Magnesium made NO difference in healing or prevention for me.

I did research to figure out where the idea about magnesium came from.

There's a short reference in Dr. B's paper that it may be helpful, but no studies were cited.

Sure, magnesium may be depleted, but there are WAY more problems than just magnesium.

If magnesium gives symptom relief, that's great. I wish it helped me, but it didn't. I got more relief from a heating pad.

If the DNA is altered and the body's healing is interrupted, the body doesn't quite know what to do even if you give it what is missing.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Bob
Member # 45015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my doc said omega 3 fish oil 4000-6000mg a day
vit c 1000-2000 2xa day
cooper .5-2mg a day
to prevent tendonitis

Posts: 58 | From GA | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joshzz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joshzz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the best thing to do to get the medicine to pass out your body is drink a lot of water.
Posts: 107 | From new jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Day 7 update (7 days after stopping) 5.5 days after starting Cipro:

Last night I slathered magnesium lotion (brand is ancient minerals) with MSM over my leg tendons, calves and knees. This along with a double dose of transdermal glutathione.

I woke up in the morning with muscle weakness, but tendon pain in the legs was 80% reduced.

This morning:
vitamin b12 injection
double dose transdermal glutathione
body wide slathering of magnesium lotion over entire body-I'm talking ALOT of magnesium.
2 magtabs
Quercetin
olive oil leaf extract
3,000 mg liposomal vitamin C
omega 3 flax oil
enhansa (cucurmin)

Lunchtime
2 magtabs
1 pill axtanxanthin (antioxidant)

At 4:15 pm, I am feeling 65% better than yesterday.

Still have floppy tendons and weak muscles, but feel like I have stabilized. I took a short walk outside and did a little house cleaning. Also spent several hours in bed.

Will do more of the same this evening.

magnesium apparently can help get rid of this horrid stuff, as well as compensate for the severe magnesium deficiency we suffer.

I read that cipro will increase oxidants (damaging ones) by 70%-so antioxidants are crucial to helping reduce toxicity.

Then to heal-collagen and mitochondrial support, as mitochondria definitely seem to be damaged-.

I was taking many supplements and glutathione while I was on my 5 days of cipro, maybe this is helping me now.

It is as debilitating, or even more, than some of the worst lyme days.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

This person used magnesium OIL to help...

http://theglutenfreeyogi.com/2014/02/09/floxed-by-cipro-magnesium-might-be-the-answer/

Oral magnesium is not the same as taking ReMag or using magnesium OIL.

I'm not saying that only magnesium will fix this.. but it can be of great help. Google that!

[ 01-31-2015, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

SScott
Member # 30415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SScott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try hot epsome salt baths every day for a week.
Posts: 32 | From Atlanta | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement