LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » TREATING BART. When will I herx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TREATING BART. When will I herx?
Brinkley929
Member # 43812

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Brinkley929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I just started taking medication 2 days ago for Bart (I'm only on half dose for the first 2 weeks, so not very strong).

When will I notice a herx or the "feeling worse before better" thing? Does that usually happen instantly? Within a few days, weeks? I've only taken 2 pills so far but have not noticed anything.

Posts: 62 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What meds are you taking? How well do you detox?

I'd keep slowly increasing. But it really depends on what you are taking. Two pills is not enough sample size. I'd keep at the pace you're on and slowly increase if you are afraid of a bad herx.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinkley929
Member # 43812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brinkley929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi droid-

I think I detox pretty well. I haven't herxed much at all (just the very first time I took a medication after testing positive for Lyme).

What do you mean "two pills is not enough sample size"?

I'm not really afraid of a herx, I'm just wondering when you should expect one to happen? Sometimes I actually worry I won't herx and I won't react at all. Can it take a while for a herx to start or would it happen instantly if it were going to?

Posts: 62 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He means that 2 pills are not enough to bring on a herx.

There is no set rule about herxing. Everyone is different. I was like you. I had my first and only herx when I first got on good lyme treatment.

I never herxed with bart treatment or babs treatment. I got rid of all 3 of these diseases 10 years ago.

It seems like your doctor has set up the treatment plan so that you don't get any adverse effects from the bart treatment. That is why he is ramping you up to full treatment over 2 weeks.

My guess is that you won't herx at all since you are doing the ramping.

If you let us know what med you have started, we can give you a better idea of what to expect.

Is it levaquin, Bactrim DS, or something else?

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinkley929
Member # 43812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brinkley929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks TF. I am on Levaquin for Bart right now. I don't even like telling people that because I know the flood of warnings I'll get [Smile]

I'm aware of the terrible side effects, and my doctor has me slowly ramping up like you said. We are carefully watching for side effects.

I have this weird idea in my head that I WANT a herx so that I know something is happening. Or I just want symptoms to instantly disappear [Smile] Yeah right...

I tested CDC & Igenex positive for Lyme. I did not test positive for Bartonella, but my LLMD strongly believes I have Bart and many of the symptoms. It's hard to accept and trust a clinical diagnosis, so I was hoping to see something from the meds as proof, ya know?

droid1226
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt nothing but better on Levaquin. I was on a double the maximum dose.

I know most will tell you horror stories but 4 months of double dose daily and I was just feeling better and better.

I'm off now because of the the horror stories and I had my 2 best months off antibiotics all together so I'm trying to get back to that. But I'm not ruling out going back on it.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Levaquin for 30 days. Then, my doc switched me to Bactrim DS which treats bart and babs. I stayed on that about 11 months.

That is how I got rid of bart and babs. I never herxed on these treatments. But, once I started the Bactrim, I got weekly babs flares. They were really bad for 48 hours every week.

So, you will likely have your own unique experience. Let us know how it goes. We are rooting for you!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I have this weird idea in my head that I WANT a herx so that I know something is happening."

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! :yikes:

I am laughing, and you may be too, but if a bad one hits I am not crying with you!!! Ouch, ouch, ouch!!!

Good luck!!!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinkley929
Member # 43812

Droid, how long did it take for you to notice symptoms improving or going away once you started the Levaquin? I've been on it a couple days (at half dose), and I'm already freaking myself out that I'm not noticing anything [Frown]
TF
Member # 14183

It is not realistic to expect changes in 4 days. Give it a month at the full dose and see if you notice any changes then.

They say that treating these diseases is a marathon and not a sprint. So, in other words, nothing changes quickly. It is a very slow process with little changes over a long period of time.

So, I suggest you get out a calendar and count 5 1/2 weeks from now and make a note to think about any symptom relief then.

You may want to make a list of your symptoms now because, with these diseases, what often happens is that as soon as a symptom leaves us, we forget about it. So, we never think about the improvements, just all the symptoms that are left still bothering us.

So, make your list now and then in 5 1/2 weeks you can look at it and see if anything has gone away.

Also, some lyme docs have a patient keep a daily diary of how they are feeling--symptoms they are having and rate the day from 1 (terrible) to 10 (outstanding).

If you do that, you can watch to see if you are rating the days better than when you first started treating bart.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement