LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Having Surgery to Remove Tumor and the Parathyroid .

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having Surgery to Remove Tumor and the Parathyroid .
Annie C
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Annie C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Results just in. I'm having a Parathyroid ectomy. They found tumor an Sestimibi Scan. I found a journal dated July 2005. About high calcium. Why do Drs say your calcium is a little high. But your ok. So for 10 years Lyme and a tumor. Very similar symptoms.

So I've been double slymed. Never had been told. Except your calcium is a little high; nothing to wooty about. Well now there is.... And always has been. A tumor lurking and causing undescribable pain in my legs hands feet and brain.

Good news it's not invisible. [bow] Thank The Lord.

Surgery is scheduled for the 20th.

--------------------
May God Bless you every day. And Never say never and do not give up no matter what. We need you to help others.

Posts: 1288 | From Tetons Wyoming | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annie, I’m sorry to hear this, where all here to get you through this.

Mayo Clinic:
I’m sure you have read 100’s of articles relating to this, but here’s one from Mayo, read each link.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypercalcemia/basics/definition/con-20031513

I’m so tired of doctors getting it wrong most of the time, and then we suffer because of them.

10 years and they never looked further, so sad.

Stay strong, you’ll do fine!!!

Keep posting,
Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Annie,

So glad you have some clear answers here, finally. Sorry to hear of the confirmation yet it is good news & it is hopeful that this will solve some problems. It sure should, according to so many others who have had this issue.

Some have done very well when such tumor is removed. However, I hope you can keep as much of the gland set as possible. Most report they do better with some of the gland remaining.

Can they remove just the tumor and leave the gland?

As there are four parathyroid glands all right there together, if they do remove one, can you be sure they will leave the other three?
-

[ 03-10-2015, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This site explains some of what Keebler said>

http://www.healthline.com/health/parathyroid-gland-removal#Diagnosis4

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sorry you will have to have surgery, but so happy they have finally found the source of your pain and misery.

Be sure to post before the surgery so we will remember to pray for you!

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before all of this started my Calcium was a little high, but has since leveled out on every successive test. I was taking a lot of antacid at the time.

If your calcium is normal is everything cool?

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
SacredHeart,

Many questions are answered at this site:

http://www.parathyroid.com/index.htm

Parathyroid.com
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So happy for you Annie, and your quick surgery date too!!
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Told you I was sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Told you I was sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annie-

Just wanted to lend my support and offer you an encouraging tale... My mother had this same surgery performed this past fall. Actually, she had 1 of her 4 parathyroid glands removed- the one that had become tumorous. Like you, her higher blood calcium levels are what alerted an endocrinologist to send her for a confirmatory scan. Then it was off to the specialized surgeon.

Am happy to report that all went fine for my mother with the surgery and such. The surgeon explained how immediately following the surgery, my mother's calcium levels dropped significantly, and to within the normal range. Since the surgery she has had to supplement with some particular vitamins accordingly, but, that can be expected following this type of procedure.

Prior to this hyperparathyroid 'problem,' my mother had been a diagnosed and treated hypothyroid patient for eons. Like...maybe 20-25 years with hypothyroidism.

She's had various painful symptoms for years -especially excruciating leg bone and muscle pains/cramping- and could have likely had Lyme for a multitude of years as well, however, was only diagnosed with LD following discovery of an EM rash (classic Bullseye) in 2012.

So, in all reality, it's likely that her Lyme existed long before any offshoot diagnosis was made, and (the Lyme) is what probably triggered her hypothyroidism issue. A while later is likely when the still undertreated Lyme lead to her case of hyperparathyroidism (and the resulting surgery of the 1 tumorous parathyroid gland).

If you have any detailed questions for me, please don't hesitate to PM through the Forum.

Best of luck to you for your upcoming surgery!!! We'll be thinking of you. Let us know how you do.
Be well,
Told you...

Posts: 315 | From Negative (-) to positive (+) | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie C
Member # 14

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annie C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you each of you for providing moral and insightful carding words and all the web sites. It was about 3 weeks ago maybe 4. The Dr said my calcium Was a little high and was ready to dismiss me. When I asked if he had do e a T3 and answer was no.

So he reluctantly humored me and did the blood draw. The next week he was ready and able to get me set up with another EDG and a Sestamibi Scan. I'm sure they are doing it so fast is due to brain confusion etc... And all the other symptoms. And it's possible that the tumor is so large, is the reason I keep choking on foods.

And the other reason is that it's been over 10 years of depression anxiety etc... Squeaky complaints get results. I just knew something was wrong. I just told the Dr I want feel better I was getting so worn out.

I will keep you posted. Surgery on the 20th. With all the great support. The surgery will be smooth sailing.

So if any of you are a little more depressed fatigued etc... As for the blood test Including T3. I pray you are all tumor free.
Thank you again. This can also affect children.

--------------------
May God Bless you every day. And Never say never and do not give up no matter what. We need you to help others.

Posts: 1288 | From Tetons Wyoming | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doctor's are taught much about this in medical school and falling through the cracks is typical.

I had high calcium for at least 10 years that I know of before being diagnosed hyperparathyroidism.

You will see improvement once the tumors are out. I had horrific bone pain that I believed was Bart. Once surgery was done, and two parathyroid adenomas removed, the bone pain was gone by the time I got back to the hotel.

Praying for you Annie.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement