LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Helminth therapy for uses other than autoimmunity?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Helminth therapy for uses other than autoimmunity?
TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of more uses than this for helminth therapy? I have heard it used for ulcerative colitis and in the treatment of autism, but that's it.

My previous doc had mentioned this as a suggestion for parasite treatment (no joke). And since then I have thought some about how that would work. Still can't figure it out except that the non-pathogenic parasites could perhaps help with keeping the pathogenic ones in check.

I know I was not nearly as chronically debilitated until I took antiparasiticals. Others have attested to getting debilitated after taking antiparasiticals.

Could there be a connection? Could the parasites have actually been helping us? I don't know. Seems they are protective at times.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helminth therapy shifts the immune system balance to Th2. Th1 is therefore reduced. Th1 is associated with pro-inflammatory cytokines, whereas Th2 is associated with anti-inflammatory cytokines.

So helminth therapy could help reduce inflammation. In that light it seems logical that removing these extracellular parasites causes more of a Th1 shift, resulting in more (chronic) inflammation.

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good explanation, S13.

So I wonder if it would be beneficial in typical lyme cases?

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did not know about helminth therapy- just googled it and looks pretty cool.

based on stuff I've been reading and researching I recently ordered "diatomaceous earth" (a natural de-wormer) and was planning to see if that might help my kid's autoimmune/JRA issues. I've read various testimonials that the diatomaceous can, among other things, help reduce 'autoimmune' stuff.

Maybe it's a matter of first ridding bad parasites and later supplementing with the 'good' ones like Trichuris Suis

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some it could be beneficial i suppose. But only for those who are Th1 dominant in the first place. With lyme and co it can go both ways.

Too much Th1 inflammation is bad, very bad. But too much Th2 is also bad (causes overproduction of antibodies against everything, think: allergies). Finding a good balance can be difficult. To fight the intracellular infections you need adequate Th1, so suppressing with helminth therapy may backfire in some cases.

This guy wrote a pretty good guide on how to rebalance the Th1/Th2 balance:
http://selfhacked.com/2014/06/16/supplements-foods-exercise-right-type-th1-vs-th2-dominance/
So you may want to try some of his other safer (reversable) suggestions first.

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a thread with links on the subject:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/127669?#000000

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement