LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Should I get rid of my cat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I get rid of my cat?
cfm11205
Member # 45429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cfm11205     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 6 year old cat who I love dearly, but he sleeps in my bed with with me and on my pillow.

Besides interrupting my sleep all night, I adore him.

Do you think he is in anyway making me sick too?

Posts: 26 | From Houston | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not think you should re-home your cat. Pets are awesome companions and they have a positive effect on our health. My cats have helped me through some very challenging times.

Is your cat an indoor cat? If not, I would suggest making him one. Indoor cats live longer, and they will not bring in ticks or other pests from outside.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
omg!!_ nono...pets are great companions.

please don't get rid of him.

my maine cat slept wrapped around my neck and my russian blue slept in the bend of my knees.

I adored them. remember they are our greatest loves.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely not. Your pets will keep you going to get through this.

Can you put him outside your room on the nights you absolutely need sleep?

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSci
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey cfm -

As a patient with high occupational exposure (vet), I've thought a lot about this question.

Ultimately, I agree with Sammi. There's no way to eliminate our risk of reinfection, and potentially no way to completely eradicate these infections; our goal should perhaps be more to reduce microbial load to a point manageable by our immune defenses.

However, reducing microbial load in our pets can help us and them, and cats are an important carrier species of bartonella.

Even if your cat is indoor, flea and tick preventative is a good idea to reduce possible vector transmission. (Even inhaled flea feces can transmit bartonella.)

I'm sure you're aware of galaxy labs, but I'd suggest talking to your vet about testing your cat: http://www.galaxydx.com/web/animal-health/

People don't often consider this, but we share more microbial flora with animals sharing our environment than with family members living elsewhere. Testing our pets for zoonotic agents (or other env hazards) can increase our understanding of our exposures and aid in pet owner medical histories.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021997512004367

They're our best friends, and they also can be little health sentinels for us.
Good luck!

--------------------
-------------
- Working Dx: Protozoa x3, Bartonella
- Tx: Biaxin, Mycobutin, Ivermectin, boluoke, serapeptase, allimed, silver ACS 200 spray, Mg, Iodoral, fish oil, Vit's B, C, D, NAC, etc

Posts: 121 | From Nc | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my cats were totally indoors. they got heartguard, flea treatment, you name it. they sneezed and momma took them to the vet.

I had their teeth cleaned yearly and always checked for worms. I cleaned litter boxes twice a day and changed litter often.

my kids were healthy.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep your cat. Our cat sleeps with us every night and my husband is well from lyme.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too vote for keep your cat. As others have said, pets help with companionship and also help us feel better.

If you fear that the cat sleeping with you is making you not get a good nights sleep, hence making you sicker, I would see about closing off your bedroom at night and letting your cat sleep in another room.

But that way you will have plenty of snuggle time during the day to spend with your cat after you have slept better.

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting better and we have several cats, plus hubby's lyme is gone. One cat even sleeps with us (lol)!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cfm11205
Member # 45429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cfm11205     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! I am definitely going to keep him. [Smile]
Posts: 26 | From Houston | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please have the cat checked out (Bartonella) also parasites.

I know y'all love your kitties, but not for me.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement